Fire spread seems somewhat unintuitive

The place to talk about how BTW might be different
erikdk321

Fire spread seems somewhat unintuitive

Post by erikdk321 »

I see no logical reason why the forest in the screenshot should be affected by a small fire meters below the earth. See images.
Apologies if this is working as intended ^^

EDIT: Couldn't figure out how to make the image appear properly, so will just post the link directly.
https://imgur.com/a/0Yi2VRG
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: Fire spread seems somewhat unintuitive

Post by FlowerChild »

Those are just underlying vanilla fire mechanics. There's no real line of sight calculation or such on fire, nor do I think that would be feasible if large fires are desirable.

There's no real reason to be able to run a campfire all night in an enclosed space without asphyxiating either, so the rules gods giveth, and they taketh away.

If it helps any, you could always think of it as being the result of the roots catching in that particular circumstance. I might be wrong (can't say I've ever tried it), but building a fire in a hole under a tree strikes me as a bad idea :)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Actually, yeah, google "root fires". Yes, this is primarily just a result of a game mechanic as I answered above, but if you're looking for an internal rationale, I think that works extremely well for many circumstances in which this occurs.
Egger3rd

Post by Egger3rd »

This might be spoilery, so...
Spoiler
Show
Fire Spreads in a sort of pill shape upward. To make things simple, a 5x5 column of air extending five spaces above the fire will ensure the campfire doesn't ignite anything else. I recommend placing the campfire on top a non-flammable block, raised so that you don't accidentally walk into it. At the feat of that block in a circle, also place non-flammable blocks. 5x5 of air will suffice from the floor up.