The Stomping Land

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
DaveYanakov

The Stomping Land

Post by DaveYanakov »

Public release was today. It is basically Rust with dinosaur hunting and riding and no guns. I already pulled the trigger with the money I had earmarked for it last month and am curious about who else I might run into
Better is the enemy of Good
BinoAl

Re: The Stomping Land

Post by BinoAl »

Hm. I can't tell if this looks *actually* interesting or if my inner 10-year old is freaking out over the prospect of riding dinosaurs. Either way, I'm probably going to get this.
Caboose

Post by Caboose »

Unless this game turns out to be fantastic I gotta say the dinosaur/pterosaur inaccuracies kind of turn me off on this.

I mean, look at their Gallimimus, no feathers? Pronate wrists? Come on, man, this is basic stuff.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

If that's bothering you, why isn't the humans existing alongside dinosaurs also breaking you? It is a 'lost world' setting where certain species got preserved, not a historical simulation
Caboose

Post by Caboose »

Because one of those things is an intentional change or concession for gameplay and the other is poor research.

It's the difference between Giant Alien Robots What are Vehicles existing and Egypt and Jordan suddenly sharing a border, for example.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

I'm not a fan of dinosaur games in general (they always strike me as rather cheezy as I think I OD'd on them during the Jurassic park days and they were associated with some really low budget sci-fi when I was young), but I think the above really fits firmly in the "who gives a fuck?" category when you're dealing with a fictional scenario.

Yes, little details like that can help with suspension of disbelief, but given only a few people would notice details like that to begin with, I really don't think it matters enough to invest the research time in while developing a game like that.
EpicAaron

Post by EpicAaron »

I can ignore unique design choices and inaccuracies since fun gameplay nearly always make up for these errors, but I don't see much else that distinguishes this game from the tons of other games besides that have been released in this genre recently. I guess the idea of a slightly less surmountable enemy like dinosaurs could be more interesting than zombies to some people.

What I'm particularly put off by is the fact that it is another game released in an alpha stage. We all know how that can turn out :/
Caboose

Post by Caboose »

Just to clarify, if you're not a huge ass paleo nerd like me and/or it doesn't bother you, more power to you. I'm not saying it should bother you, and I don't mean it as a big criticism for the game, just that for my interests, it's turned me off the game. (For now.)
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

I had a chance to try this now and, yeah... It's not ready for release
Zhil

Post by Zhil »

Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
devak

Post by devak »