Jack-O-Lanterns and Glowstone Hardcore movement

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
jackatthekilns

Jack-O-Lanterns and Glowstone Hardcore movement

Post by jackatthekilns »

Does anyone know how jack-o-lanterns and Glowstone fit into hardcore movement? Are they good to walk on, or are they better at the side of a road?
Larmantine

Re: Jack-O-Lanterns and Glowstone Hardcore movement

Post by Larmantine »

jackatthekilns wrote:Does anyone know how jack-o-lanterns and Glowstone fit into hardcore movement? Are they good to walk on, or are they better at the side of a road?
I'm sure you could have tested such a trivial thing yourself. Just put them alongside dirt/grass and you'll see since walking on dirt/grass has the default speed AFAIK
weldaSB wrote:Edit: grammer
jackatthekilns

Post by jackatthekilns »

Larmantine wrote:
jackatthekilns wrote:Does anyone know how jack-o-lanterns and Glowstone fit into hardcore movement? Are they good to walk on, or are they better at the side of a road?
I'm sure you could have tested such a trivial thing yourself. Just put them alongside dirt/grass and you'll see since walking on dirt/grass has the default speed AFAIK
I suppose I could have, but it doesn't hurt to ask in case someone in the community has already figured it out. As you said it's trivial and is not asking that much of anyone who already knows. If you don't know and don't care to find out, that's fine. I happen to be in a place where I can get on a forum and not the game. I thought I would ask while I was thinking of it.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Or you can view it as a rude and rather dangerous precedent.

The rude part is that asking a question you can easily answer yourself puts the onus of making the effort on whoever answers it rather than making that small effort yourself.

The dangerous precedent part is if creating threads for single trivial questions became common place on these forums the signal to noise ratio would plummet. I'm not a fan of slippery slope arguments but it's become clear to me with time that new forum members in particular tend to emulate the behavior they see in a rather viral manner, and I think most forum members here appreciate that this isn't the kind of place that is flooded by this kind of triviality.

It's currently a period of relatively low traffic on the forums so I refrained from commenting when I saw this thread this morning, but it did inspire a mild face palm before I chose to initially ignore it.
jackatthekilns

Post by jackatthekilns »

FlowerChild wrote:Or you can view it as a rude and rather dangerous precedent.

The rude part is that asking a question you can easily answer yourself puts the onus of making the effort on whoever answers it rather than making that small effort yourself.

The dangerous precedent part is if creating threads for single trivial questions became common place on these forums the signal to noise ratio would plummet. I'm not a fan of slippery slope arguments but it's become clear to me with time that new forum members in particular tend to emulate the behavior they see in a rather viral manner, and I think most forum members here appreciate that this isn't the kind of place that is flooded by this kind of triviality.

It's currently a period of relatively low traffic on the forums so I refrained from commenting when I saw this thread this morning, but it did inspire a mild face palm before I chose to initially ignore it.

I understand your reasoning FC. As I said I was just trying to deal with it while it was on my mind. Feel free to lock or delete the thread. I wouldn't want to filter through dozens of these kind of questions either. I suppose a general discussion on Hardcore Movement might have been better.