Double, double, toil and trouble (witches)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
ExpHP

Double, double, toil and trouble (witches)

Post by ExpHP »

Last one I saw turned me to rubble.
Spoiler
Show
These things are terrifying as all hell. How do you manage your Witch infestations?
erikdk321

Re: Double, double, toil and trouble (witches)

Post by erikdk321 »

Shoot them on sight :)
ExpHP

Post by ExpHP »

erikdk321 wrote:Shoot them on sight :)
Odd, I was under the impression that they would simply heal themselves if I shot them.
eternal8phoenix

Post by eternal8phoenix »

ExpHP wrote: Odd, I was under the impression that they would simply heal themselves if I shot them.
So you shoot them again. And again...and then they fall down :P

Although I personally prefer luring them into a ditch and smacking their ankles until their warts fall off.
Zhil

Post by Zhil »

My new world, I spawned, with a witch hut right near spawn. Survival has been... interesting :D
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
ExpHP

Post by ExpHP »

What I remember from my last encounter is that I effectively had it cornered, and I kept hitting it with a sword over and over and over again... and once it had occured to me that half of my durability had been wasted, I concluded that these things were not meant to be attacked!

At that point, I had the rather unfortunate "idea" of making the witch hit itself with splash potions. Which did work; the witch didn't heal itself after hurting itself. But one misstep later, it was the end of me.

So from that point, I regarded them as effectively immortal.
Zhil

Post by Zhil »

ExpHP wrote:What I remember from my last encounter is that I effectively had it cornered, and I kept hitting it with a sword over and over and over again... and once it had occured to me that half of my durability had been wasted, I concluded that these things were not meant to be attacked!

At that point, I had the rather unfortunate "idea" of making the witch hit itself with splash potions. Which did work; the witch didn't heal itself after hurting itself. But one misstep later, it was the end of me.

So from that point, I regarded them as effectively immortal.
We killed one on SMP by wailing on her with two people. Result was two nearly dead people and one dead witch. When I see one, I just run.
myrkana

Post by myrkana »

hmm witches never seemed that tough to me, I just run at them full speed and hit them. The poison takes you down to 1 heart so I then wall myself in with whatever I have at the time.
Rawr :D
VegasGoat

Post by VegasGoat »

I was able to kill 2 of them with a compound bow. Takes a lot of arrows but it's safer since you can stay far enough away where they can't attack back.
Zhil

Post by Zhil »

VegasGoat wrote:they can't attack back.
That always felt a bit exploity to me, so I try not to rely on that :/
Sir C

Post by Sir C »

I've encountered 2 witch huts on my world so far and managed to kill all the witches at one of them. Lure them into one on one away from the other witches or other distractions, rush in a wail on them with an iron sword. If you get in fast enough and do some damage before them can pop off their first potion then the first one they use should be a healing potion, so you can keep wailing on them. Should take 4-5 hits, did for me. Only got 1 witch wart for my troubles though, and that was with a sword with looting :(
Mud

Post by Mud »

ExpHP wrote:How do you manage your Witch infestations?
I pack up and move.
Crazylemon64

Post by Crazylemon64 »

Oh man, witches. The first "night", which wasn't really a night due to an early rainstorm, had me cowering, hungering in the church of an abandoned village I found right at my spawn point. I distinctly remember the whine of the witch outside who had wandered in from the nearby swamp, which kept me on edge all night, and I used what little wood I had on grates to seal up the windows to keep my mystery meat in one intact, functional piece. When dawn arrived, I prepared to make a break for it off the top of the church, though a nearby spider had other plans. Charging me, it knocked me off the top, and I landed right in front of the witch. Not stopping to look behind me, I sprinted for my life. She managed to hit me with a slowness potion as I fled, but still I ran. And even as some of the spiders that had aggroed me the night ran after me, I ran. Amidst the webs of spiders and the arrows of shaded skeletons, I dodged, weaved, maneuvered, persisted. Eventually, when the witch's keening stopped, I looked to the woods around me, and started my first day proper.

It's moments like these that make me love this mod...
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

I used to think witches were pretty easy to fight by just charging at them at a bit of an angle to avoid the potions, but the thing is, one misstep will really mess you up.

A little while ago, I attacked one and my first hit with my knockback sword sent the witch flying into water. Let me just say that witches in water are rather bad news when you're trying to fight them melee, and a hardcore spawn was the end result :)
ion

Post by ion »

for some reason i don't see any witches on my 2 near town swamps. i saw some some versions back grabbed the loot inside and after that none.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

ion wrote:for some reason i don't see any witches on my 2 near town swamps. i saw some some versions back grabbed the loot inside and after that none.
They're very rare spawns for swamps in general, so you won't see them all the time.

Huts always have a few witches nearby when generated though (those don't respawn...they're a one time deal), so those were probably the ones you encountered.

I didn't want to turn witches into a constant thread, more like an occasional biome specific one like wolves.
Dorugami

Post by Dorugami »

FlowerChild wrote:
ion wrote:for some reason i don't see any witches on my 2 near town swamps. i saw some some versions back grabbed the loot inside and after that none.
They're very rare spawns for swamps in general, so you won't see them all the time.

Huts always have a few witches nearby when generated though (those don't respawn...they're a one time deal), so those were probably the ones you encountered.

I didn't want to turn witches into a constant thread, more like an occasional biome specific one like wolves.
Respawning wolves with long range attacks. I must say, the combination of witches and watery swamps really makes it feel like you're dragging your feet through the biome at night. Not as much as a jungle, but it has its own unique flavor still. Compounded with mushroom nerfs, I look towards swamps as the second most menacing biome next to the jungle...and they looked so inviting just a few updates back.
Better Than Wolves isn't a Mod. It's a Lifestyle.
Zhil

Post by Zhil »

FlowerChild wrote:those don't respawn...they're a one time deal
Ah good, I was wondering about that. So if I kill the ones hanging around spawn, new ones won't just spawn. That's going to be important information.