Auto kiln glitches and gets stuck.

If you're having problems with your installation of Better Than Wolves, or if you've woken up in the future and are beginning to doubt the nature of reality, here's the place to post about it.
Kalbuck

Auto kiln glitches and gets stuck.

Post by Kalbuck »

I have an issue I submitted to the bug report subforum and was told to post it here (Sorry for bugging you FC).

I have a small auto kiln with a piston behind a brick block. Every 15 seconds or so it pushes whatever is in the kiln area into a water stream which feeds into a crucible. It was working fine until recently. I can't pinpoint the exact patch but it's only occurred since we've been able to cook clay bricks in the kiln. The issue is that sometimes when I come back from being far away or logging out and back in, the sticky piston has somehow pushed the brick block further than should be possible, into the water stream. And whatever block that was to be cooked is instead pulled back by the sticky piston, leaving already cooked items in the cook area, sometimes stacking to a very high number, indicating the problem happened early on in the cook. I know this may be hard to picture, so I've put together a short album of images here: http://imgur.com/a/oxzda

I can't venture to guess what causes this. In a more extreme example, I was once cooking clay bricks and came back to brick blocks extending out 6 blocks into a wall, the odd thing was the glass block guarding the water stream was IN the wall. It even pushed a brick block from another set of kilns out, 8 blocks away. I understand that the clay blocks collecting in the kiln got compacted into brick blocks, but I can't fathom how they got pushed out to begin with.
Mason11987

Re: Auto kiln glitches and gets stuck.

Post by Mason11987 »

While I don't have any actual solution, a few tips that have helped me:

1. Put obsidian blocks where your pistons might overpush. Pistons can't push obsidian, so it could prevent that 8 block row that you mentioned.
2. Build all the stuff that gets moved by pistons/BDs in the same chunk, if possible. The F3 screen can help with that.

I'd do that first, then let it run for a while and see if it keeps happening.
Eriottosan

Post by Eriottosan »

Can you make the delay between DB and piston longer? Or a more reliable redstone setup?
I've not played in aaages due to my lack of computer, but what it sounds like to me is redstone misfirings:

1) Sticky piston extends, BD pulses by mistake, sucks up bricks by accident
2) Sticky piston retracts, BD places a block, sticky piston extends, retracts, drawing back old item.
3) BD places items, keeps repeating until...
4) BD places brick block, SP extends, pushes bricks to the new (final) position, retracts.

Then it's operations as normal. You still have the required sides for the kiln to work, so everything works and keeps cooking, but you don't have the collection process.

Remember that pistons can push multiple blocks at one time.
私は日本語が大好きだ。だから、私と話すとき、日本語で書けば、日本語で書いてください。
I like Japanese, can you tell?
Taleric

Post by Taleric »

I suggest changing to where to the BD places one block further away for the piston to shove items into place. I have run this design type a TON and have had zero issues.

I like your design scheme, the part the concerns me is you are moving a block that gives definition to the kiln. I am pretty sure the "sorcery" occurs when the item being cooked is suddenly no longer in a "kiln".

It would be like shoving the wall on a brick patio oven to get your stuff out instead of using the tongs :P
Kalbuck

Post by Kalbuck »

Well, I don't think it's a bug after all, but rather a flaw in my design. Odd that it was working fine before. Nonetheless!

@Mason11987:

I tried doing just that and got the following: http://imgur.com/gNtUL1I. So I think you're right, but my setup is still flawed.

@Eriottosan:

I'm pretty sure you've nailed it. I forgot that pistons can push multiple blocks. TBH that was the part that was freaking me out the most. With the setup I have, however, I've tried changing the timing within my very limited redstone experience, and anything other than what I've got doesn't give enough time to cook. Maybe it's time to try a new setup? Which brings me to....

@Taleric:

Haha XD I'm interested in your design! Zero issues sounds good to me. Can you provide pictures? Or give me an idea how I could adapt my design? Also, I can't take credit for the setup, I took it from someone in these forums a while back. I'm not nearly this clever. ;(

Thank you guys for the quick replies!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Kalbuck wrote:Well, I don't think it's a bug after all, but rather a flaw in my design. Odd that it was working fine before.
For future reference: I usually at least temp ban for erroneous bug reports like that due to the potential time wastage it causes me.
Kalbuck

Post by Kalbuck »

I understand and I apologize. I'll strive to be more careful in the future when I think I've found something.
jkievlan

Post by jkievlan »

Taleric wrote:...the part the concerns me is you are moving a block that gives definition to the kiln. I am pretty sure the "sorcery" occurs when the item being cooked is suddenly no longer in a "kiln".
I don't think that's the issue. I have a setup that does exactly the same thing (pushes one side of the kiln in to empty the cooking area) and it works flawlessly. I don't know what the actual problem is, but I would look elsewhere.
TheGatesofLogic

Post by TheGatesofLogic »

decided to take a look and it's not all that difficult to figure out. you're using a non-reactive system, which means the block in the kiln turning into an item doesnt cause the kiln to react and place a new block, instead you're using a timer correct? the problem here is that the delay between activating the piston, deactivating the piston, and activating the BD is off.

all in all what happened in your photo was this: the issue was triggered somehow, this could happen if your timer is SLIGHTLY short of the maximum time a block can take to cook (cooking doesnt always take the exact same time, it's slightly variable), and it sucked up the brick and placed the iron which the piston then pulled back. because the next block can not cook without the brick in place the BD just keeps placing blocks and the piston continues to push the composition of blocks forward
Two feet standing on a principle
Two hands longing for each others warmth
Cold smoke seeping out of colder throats
Darkness falling, leaves nowhere to go