Dispenser Clocks (5-minutes)

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
Triskelli

Dispenser Clocks (5-minutes)

Post by Triskelli »

Didn't know where the best place to post this was, so I'll just leave it here.

With the recent nerf of the Turntable, we have been left yet again without a compact and reliable way to measure long swaths of time. Enter the "dispenser clock":
Spoiler
Show
While the set-up is fairly self-explanatory, the purpose of this device may not be immediately apparent. By using items, this clock is able to measure out 5-minute chunks of time. When the dispenser spits out an item, the pressure-plate turns off the redstone torch. When the item despawns, the torch lights, and a fresh piece of coal repeats the cycle.

Since I have had trouble installing BTW, I have to demonstrate the principle using pressure plates. But I am certain that Detector Blocks would make the system even more compact, and make arrow-clocks possible.

I just wanted to draw attention to this neat little trick, in case some people didn't know about it.
FurkeyRefills

Re: Dispenser Clocks (5-minutes)

Post by FurkeyRefills »

Nice trick, though I do believe I saw someone rig loads of them up and make it into 60 minute one :P
Don't ask me how !
FlowerChild wrote:I've made another decision... Fuck being a plug-in.
Triskelli

Post by Triskelli »

Yeah, I used 4 in a sequence to make a clock-tower before. If you never use beds, this works excellently as a day/night detector.

I just got BTW properly installed, so I'll post a version using Detector Blocks and one using Arrows in a little bit. Arrows persist for only one minute, making another useful clock!

EDIT:

Here they are! I was able to half the size using Detector Blocks, and they're both working like a charm.
Spoiler
Show
Spoiler
Show
A fair warning! Using the Arrow Clock will startle your whenever it goes off... If you plan to use a lot of them, you may want to turn down the sound on your Minecraft. =]

Now I'm working on replicating and compacting my clock-tower designs...
Camerinthus

Post by Camerinthus »

That's why I consider skeletons worse than creepers. They sneak up on you and scare the crap out of you with the arrow noise, and then I can't reorient myself to run away before I get hit again, repeating the cycle.

On topic, I think I might use these instead of a bio clock so I can fine-tune my hemp farm for maximum production.
IGN: Camerinthus
diegokilla

Post by diegokilla »

Wow! The DB version is EXTREMELY compact! I will definately be using this in an upcoming project :D
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

Haha i saw these on youtube a while back, kiershar posted them. That guy makes some badass traps :)