Iron golems not dropping scrolls [4.40] [SMP]

If you're having problems with your installation of Better Than Wolves, or if you've woken up in the future and are beginning to doubt the nature of reality, here's the place to post about it.
The great randomo

Iron golems not dropping scrolls [4.40] [SMP]

Post by The great randomo »

On the server I play on, I've used the iron golem farm excessively. At first, it seemed to be working fine and knockback arcane scrolls would drop once for around every 15 stacks of iron.
However, ever since the 4.40 update, the scrolls do not seem to be dropping at all. It's not that enough haven't been killed - I've probably got another 25-30 stacks, but none are dropping.
What's causing this?
Chris Martin wrote:The morning is for sleeping.
Graphite

Re: Iron golems not dropping scrolls [4.40] [SMP]

Post by Graphite »

Let's see whether I still remember the math for this:

One scroll in 15 stacks of iron is 1 scroll per 960 iron, so a chance to drop of 1/960. This translates to a 959/960 chance to not drop a scroll. The odds of a scroll not dropping after 30 stacks of iron is (959/960)^1920 = 0.135, i.e. 13.5%.

All in all it still seems reasonable that you're just having an unlucky streak.
BlackCat

Re: Iron golems not dropping scrolls [4.40] [SMP]

Post by BlackCat »

Sorry for the late reply, I actually did some testing with a few iron golem farms set up, I believe graphite is correct. You're probably just getting unlucky.

Just thought it would be helpful to have some more reassurance, sorry about your knockback woes.
Ribky: eh, maybe kinda iffy at first, but you grew on me like a glorious tumor of innovation
Detritus: A whole lot of walls decided they wanted to give you a hug, but you're allergic to walls

My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/illogicallycompact