BTW Ebilness

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
finite8

BTW Ebilness

Post by finite8 »

Hmm....

Block Dispenser, rapid redstone pulser, Fill with TNT.

Gonna have to try test this ebil device. Could be a handy "Give me all your diamonds and your enchanted gear or your base is going to resemble a Chunk Error" Anarchy scenario.
Flowerchild (IRC) wrote:I'm not trying to stop you BTW ..., I'm saying that I think you're a piece of shit...not the same thing
DocHussey

Re: BTW Ebilness

Post by DocHussey »

Friggin' sig'd.
FlowerChild wrote:I'm drawing a line in the soul sand.
finite8 wrote:Give me all your diamonds and your enchanted gear or your base is going to resemble a Chunk Error.
Ribky

Post by Ribky »

I just gave a similar contraption a quick test after reading this.

You're a sick bastard, it's glorious. The destruction is ridiculous for the small amount of supplies needed.
The spice must flow...

[03:28] <Detritus_> Weird, I'm still logged in her
TheInfernalEnchanter

Post by TheInfernalEnchanter »

Just imagine if you had 10 of these setups hooked up to a tripwire... Bye-bye zombies... Or griefers...
TheAnarchitect wrote:Steve also occasionally gets random flashes of uncontrolled insight, like what the caves under that mountain look like.
Ah, chunk errors...
finite8

Post by finite8 »

Ribky wrote:I just gave a similar contraption a quick test after reading this.

You're a sick bastard, it's glorious. The destruction is ridiculous for the small amount of supplies needed.
Flowerchild (IRC) wrote:I'm not trying to stop you BTW ..., I'm saying that I think you're a piece of shit...not the same thing
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

What I'm trying to make out of this is a self-loading rapid fire TNT cannon.
The infinitely extendable Pottery system
Real Life is an Anarchy Server.
finite8

Post by finite8 »

Ever since that Minecraft over-engineering episode, I've always wondered if it's possible to use the "Invulnerable when damaged" period to make a safe-on-launch player cannon. i.e:

i.e: TNT behind player. Just before the TNT blows, hit player with arrow. Player should have about a second of being invulnerable. If the TNT blows during this time, the player SHOULD be launched and not suffer any damage. Combine this with some kind of ridiculous TNT concentrator and the player in theory should be launch able up to maybe 1.4km.

Not sure how a server would handle this though, potentially flying through chunks before they have even generated.
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

Well all I've figured out so far is how to turn a BD into a self-sealing breech loader. With timing I think I can make an auto-loader, but I need to sleep.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

The auto-loading part is easy enough. Just filter the powder from your mob trab and the sand from a cobble blaster into stewing pots set to tip into a stream that flows over a wicker filtered hopper to your loading hopper. Wicker filter deposits leftover sand and powder back into the stewing pots by way of item elevator. I imagine if you had the patience you could use such a device to do a hard excavation of a very large pit indeed.
Better is the enemy of Good
CycloneSP

Post by CycloneSP »

O.o this sounds awesome. Can I has a video plz?
"So tell me, what's it like living in a constant haze of stupidity?" - Hiei

"Snow is not fire, so it can still rain." -Kaitocain
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

No Dave, that's not what I meant. I'm not gonna build a mob farm on-site to bombard somewhere.

Here's what I've worked out: Put a stack of TNT and a single obsidian in a block dispenser. Now send one short pulse to place the TNT, and then hold a long pulse so the obsidian remains placed until the TNT explodes. The obsidian will protect the BD from the explosion. With this setup, you can have a TNT cannon with a "clip" of 64 shots. This can be adapted to most popular TNT cannon builds.

Then with a properly timed repeater array, you can cycle this signal so that the gun will automatically fire every 10 seconds or so (the explosion time of a TNT block sets the minimum bound here). This will bombard the area with one TNT blast every 10 seconds for around 10 minutes.

finite8's system is definitely more destructive in a shorter time period for cheaper, but for the most part has to be directly above the target. I have some ideas how I might get the rate of fire higher of a proper cannon higher, or at least the destructive spread. Unfortunately, testing these designs has shown a tendency to freeze my computer. Even if it's technically feasible, I'm not sure my poor machine can handle any more. (Also, this is why no video from me. I can't even screenshot without incurring a crash).
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

This just gave me some very nasty ideas. Be prepared, Anarchy friends ;)
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

Interesting. I see how you're handling the propellant now but how are you loading a charge? Or are you using a more standard charge loading system for that?
Calcifire3691

Post by Calcifire3691 »

I was toying about with this concept for an auto-quarry a bit ago in my test world :P
(I decided it was interesting but ultimately impractical, on one hand, you don't get any cobble clogging your inventory, on the other it takes tons of mining charges and is likely to hit a lava pocket and ruin everything)

now it has a purpose again, orbital strikes and it comes in three flavours, dynamite for threatening/ power shows, charges for precision, TNT for exterminatus :D
finite8

Post by finite8 »

Test 1

AngelWithDirtyHands

Post by AngelWithDirtyHands »

I'm afraid now. *hides in hidey hole*
Spoiler
Show
Zen Proclivities wrote:Much obliged to all your devilish details FC.
...except for Hardcore Bucket, that one is a bitch. But such is life, and life says work for it you pussy.
haphazardnuke

Post by haphazardnuke »

Huh. Nice bomb, but isn't it a bit expensive?
2 cobble, 4 smooth, 6 mossy, 6 RS torches, 5 RS, and 4 soul urns, not to mention all the sand and gunpowder.
I guess everything in that list is renewable, but still, that's a lot of work for a one-time hit.
The cannons mentioned above are probably better, but I'll give you points for the compactness and simplicity.
PizzaSHARK wrote:It's fun trying to quietly assassinate your kids and family members
finite8

Post by finite8 »

haphazardnuke wrote:Huh. Nice bomb, but isn't it a bit expensive?
2 cobble, 4 smooth, 6 mossy, 6 RS torches, 5 RS, and 4 soul urns, not to mention all the sand and gunpowder.
I guess everything in that list is renewable, but still, that's a lot of work for a one-time hit.
The cannons mentioned above are probably better, but I'll give you points for the compactness and simplicity.
Big boom = Big cost. Besides, if you have managed to establish the required facilities, obtaining the supplies should be pretty straight forward.

I am however unsatisfied with the results. The boom was big, but not nearly big enough. I need to see if i can squeeze more out of the BD. My goal is to achieve the highest Boom / Volume ratio.

Hmm... perhaps combining a wool block above, covered in arrows will add a fun "Shrapnel" effect. *ebil grin*
DocHussey

Post by DocHussey »

Just a word of thought from me- rapid pulse would work okay if you were raining int down, but for a full stack of 64 like that. you wasted alot because the TNT destroyed alot of other TNT in the same space making a zero damage smoke bomb. Make it rain or lengthen the pulse somehow, more boom
FlowerChild wrote:I'm drawing a line in the soul sand.
finite8 wrote:Give me all your diamonds and your enchanted gear or your base is going to resemble a Chunk Error.
TheInfernalEnchanter

Post by TheInfernalEnchanter »

Teh ebilness...
It... IT BURNS!!!
*Head explodes*
TheAnarchitect wrote:Steve also occasionally gets random flashes of uncontrolled insight, like what the caves under that mountain look like.
Ah, chunk errors...
DxPanxD

Post by DxPanxD »

DocHussey wrote:Just a word of thought from me- rapid pulse would work okay if you were raining int down, but for a full stack of 64 like that. you wasted alot because the TNT destroyed alot of other TNT in the same space making a zero damage smoke bomb. Make it rain or lengthen the pulse somehow, more boom

Tnt doesn't destroy other tnt entities, it launches them, which is why the explosion spread out rather than down for the most part. The only wasted tnt was what ever remained in the block dispenser.
Last edited by DxPanxD on Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Apparently I'm Capitain Overcomplicate.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

I only counted 8 ticks before the first boom took out the dispenser. That's hardly any volume savings at all since you used technically 8 meters of floor space. Getting the pulse rate up is going to be vital for a build like this, else you'll need to dig a pit to dispense the tnt into so that it takes a couple explosions before the dispenser gets popped.
redrew89

Post by redrew89 »

This could also be amusing if one were to swap the stack of TNT for a quantity (say, 16, to avoid lagging an SMP environment) of soul urns.

*Cackles evilly, before devolving into a coughing fit.*
FlowerChild wrote:Happiness is a warm and moist tentacle.
FlowerChild wrote:I just want to be loved.
Havok wrote: I'm so fucking psyched I could punch a kitten into the troposphere
Donzaffi

Post by Donzaffi »

TheAnarchitect wrote:No Dave, that's not what I meant. I'm not gonna build a mob farm on-site to bombard somewhere.

Here's what I've worked out: Put a stack of TNT and a single obsidian in a block dispenser. Now send one short pulse to place the TNT, and then hold a long pulse so the obsidian remains placed until the TNT explodes. The obsidian will protect the BD from the explosion. With this setup, you can have a TNT cannon with a "clip" of 64 shots. This can be adapted to most popular TNT cannon builds.

Then with a properly timed repeater array, you can cycle this signal so that the gun will automatically fire every 10 seconds or so (the explosion time of a TNT block sets the minimum bound here). This will bombard the area with one TNT blast every 10 seconds for around 10 minutes.

finite8's system is definitely more destructive in a shorter time period for cheaper, but for the most part has to be directly above the target. I have some ideas how I might get the rate of fire higher of a proper cannon higher, or at least the destructive spread. Unfortunately, testing these designs has shown a tendency to freeze my computer. Even if it's technically feasible, I'm not sure my poor machine can handle any more. (Also, this is why no video from me. I can't even screenshot without incurring a crash).

This sound like a good siege weapon, i have an idea to modify it to put it in my tnt canon. Pictures follow closely
Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative

HIgh Res Texturepack ............43% done
finite8

Post by finite8 »

To append to my design goals: Big Boom, Small Size, Hidden.

The only problem with the "Rain of Trinitrotoluene" approach is that your victim only needs to look up to see where the destruction is coming from. Also, The rain approach will be more biased towards a "drill" type of destruction rather than a "Thermonuclear Crater" level of destruction which is what I'm after. Total TNT doesn't really matter, its also the Even spread involved.

I'm trying to remember if there is a maximum speed at which the BD can dispense...