A different approach to a Soul Urn bottler.

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Blazara

A different approach to a Soul Urn bottler.

Post by Blazara »

(I apologise if my description sounds like I'm trying to dumb it all down a little, but I want to explain in a fairly detailed manner, piece by piece so that new members / those not confident with redstone can follow.)

This project sort of began with me wondering if you could eject "x" number of items from a hopper by powering / powering it fast enough. Unfortunately the best I could do was eject 48 items at a time. As I was intending to use this for a low tech tree solution to an automatic soul urn bottler, I decided to look into the possibility of using a turntable, rather than the conventional block detector.

Here is the result:

A turntable on the first setting constantly powers a singular block dispenser (a normal dispenser could be used from a side but I thought that once I employ this into my survival world, a dispenser from on top may be easier to automatically refill via hopper.)

A block dispenser counter contains 7 half slabs and 1 solid block. Upon this solid block being placed, the final ground netherrack is ejected and, after a short delay, the inverter powering the block dispenser responsible for urn placement, flashes, placing a new urn below.
Spoiler
Show
Also sprouting off from the counter is a pulse extender (a bit rough I know....) ; when recieving power from the 1 opaque block being placed above the redstone torch, the pulse extender disable mechanical power to the turntable for roughly 1 1/2 seconds, enough time to ensure no more ground netherrack is ejected before a new urn is placed.

It's fairly difficult to see from this angle (next image shows better), but sprouting off from the pulse extenders power supply, a repeater is facing a block. When receiving power, the redstone on the flip side of the block is powered, triggering my nether friendly item sweeper :)
Spoiler
Show

( I removed encasing blocks to display this part properly)
This is probably my favourite bit of the setup, as it will work beautifully in the nether: as most of you can probably work out, the redstone current then retracts a sticky piston. This sticky piston is extended during the "dispenser firing" time, pushing forward a siding making sure no ground Nettherack nor concentrated hellfire leaps out anywhere. This withdraws just as the last piece of Nettherack is fired, on a slight delay, a piston on the opposite side then fires, wiping the soul sand hopper free of concentrated hellfire, and into the powered hopper that was revealed by the withdrawn siding.
Spoiler
Show
Finally, both the soul urns and the concentrated hellfire drop below, either to be stored into a chest via hopper or to be manually picked up.

*edit* DERP; picture
Spoiler
Show
Thanks for sticking with me this far, comments, glaring faults, idiotic posting, please list below :)

Cheers!
Blazara wrote: I, am a BETTERTHANwolfaboo.
Rianaru

Re: A different approach to a Soul Urn bottler.

Post by Rianaru »

Nice!
I've been thinking about trying to do a soul bottler with only one dispenser for a long time now, but I havn't been able to find the time to do it. While I'm sure the redstone can be compacted further, it's much more compact than my proof-of-concept design(I obviously hadn't been sleeping much when I built it. It barely works :P). Anyways, it's good to know that it can be done well :)
FlowerChild wrote: -----

A short while later:

FlowerChild: What is this pussy shit?
Blazara

Post by Blazara »

Thanks man! :)
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

I've always wanted to attempt a sfs bottler using only turntable timers. Due to limited resources mine ended up being detection based as this is a little less space and Redstone efficient. I then got distracted by other projects. One of these days I will get to experimenting with a system like this. Very cool!
Blazara

Post by Blazara »

Cheers man :) Didn't take as long as I thought it would. I made a rough first draft and my second attempt was this. Wiring could be a fair bit more compact, but I wanted to see what I was playing with before I let it run wild ;)
Rianaru

Post by Rianaru »

This should go in the useful builds that get the job done thread. It's definitely cheaper than most bottlers I've seen and seems like it would be a perfect first automation machine for bottling, before you need stacks and stacks of soul urns and want it to be super fast. :)
FlowerChild wrote: -----

A short while later:

FlowerChild: What is this pussy shit?
Thalarctia

Post by Thalarctia »

I built something quite similar to this in my world with Better Ore Distribution, although it wasnt quite nether compatible. The downside of it was that you had to manually reset the counter BD every time you started it up, and it was quite slow in the actual bottling process. However, it had its upsides too as you only needed to fill one dispenser instead of splitting your netherrack 8-ways.

Love that you managed to build it waterless though!
Blazara

Post by Blazara »

Ah, with this design it's completely nether friendly and is actually surprisingly quick! A new urn is in place within mere ticks of the previous being filled, I've actually found it to be more reliable / easier to set up and understand than most of my previous block detector designs.

But thanks for the support guys :). I may copy this post into the useful builds topic at some point too. But as I said, it really is impressively fast for it's simplicity. I still love that nether friendly item sweeper though: look's beautiful when it activates ;).
Shady

Post by Shady »

Really cool design, dude, but one quick question...is there a redstone torch on both sides of the Turntable, or just one? I can't tell from the image :P
FlowerChild wrote: Maybe the looting organ happens to fly right in his face as his battle-axe cleaves a villager in two, and causes him to scream "Eureka!".
Blazara

Post by Blazara »

Yeah, both sides :)
natchu96

Post by natchu96 »

The newb that I am, I can't really tell how to build this thing from a few pictures, so . . . world download? maybe?

Or perhaps a video? Some form of instructions would be fine. I could do this all manually, of course. Anyone could. But I'm too OCD to allow my base to NOT have a function I know is possible to automate. And comments seem to imply this thing doesn't need too much maintenance. I've got a ton of resources laying around, anyway.