Adventure update

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
HavokSCOUT

Adventure update

Post by HavokSCOUT »

I saw a new post on Notch's tumblr, and the Adventure Update was leaked a little bit more. The two things that REALLY stood out to me were Sprinting and Critical Hits. I hope that this is the update that most of the Minecraft community has been waiting for and the one that we as a community expect Notch to provide.

EDIT: Here is the URL to his blog if you want to check out some of the other features yourself:http://notch.tumblr.com
Last edited by HavokSCOUT on Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler
Show
Brony, and proud of it
CheGiuAn wrote:ppl should have faith, not religion....
Katalliaan wrote:It's a tech shrub, more like
MagikEh wrote: D: THE SEEKRET OF SYRUPEY BEAVER NIPPLES HAS BEEN EXPOSED!!! ABORT~!~!
blithen

Re: Adventure update

Post by blithen »

Wow, sprinting and critical hits. I've never though about that being in MC, but MAN it's fucking awesome.
Add me on MSN Messenger, we can chat about our feelings and coffee and minecraft.
Marmalade_Smile

Post by Marmalade_Smile »

I wonder if there's scope for any more "adventuring" tools - personally, I never go spelunking now without some rope and anchors (and torches, obviously), they're just too useful. I wonder if there's going to be some room for some BTW-style improvements on their dungeon crawls.
Danyo

Post by Danyo »

I'm interested in how the adventure update will affect the survival part of vanilla minecraft. From what I gathered previously, adventure will be it's seperate mode, unless they scrapped that idea. I kinda hope they just merged the adventure mode idea with survival minecraft since if they made another mode, it'll draw even more development away from the survival part of minecraft, and so far it hasn't been all that great.

Just my 2 cents :)
HavokSCOUT

Post by HavokSCOUT »

I don't know if it holds any water, but in the adventure update picture in Notch's blog, it shows Steve walking into a cave with a sword and a torch, and the torch appears to be lit. If that was a slip-up by junkboy for a planned feature, all I can say is, "HELL YEAH!"
@Danyo Another feature will be "Randomly spawned dungeons" (which I already thought Minecraft had). He also added a Creative mode, whatever that is.
Spoiler
Show
Brony, and proud of it
MagikEh wrote: D: THE SEEKRET OF SYRUPEY BEAVER NIPPLES HAS BEEN EXPOSED!!! ABORT~!~!
darahalian

Post by darahalian »

HavokSCOUT wrote:I don't know if it holds any water, but in the adventure update picture in Notch's blog, it shows Steve walking into a cave with a sword and a torch, and the torch appears to be lit. If that was a slip-up by junkboy for a planned feature, all I can say is, "HELL YEAH!"
@Danyo Another feature will be "Randomly spawned dungeons" (which I already thought Minecraft had). He also added a Creative mode, whatever that is.
This is just a guess, but I think "Randomly spawned dungeons" may be referring to slightly more "Legend of Zelda" type dungeons, or something like you would find in AdventureCraft. I'm pretty sure Creative mode is something similar to Minecraft Classic, or building with TooManyItems. It lets you build stuff without having to worry about finding the materials first. Creative mode would be for people who just wanted to create huge structures, and not worry about the constraints and dangers of Survival Minecraft. I think I saw somewhere that there would be limited flight capability for Creative mode.
FlowerChild wrote:Remain ever vigilant against the groth menace my friends. Early detection is crucial in avoiding a full-blown groth epidemic.
HavokSCOUT

Post by HavokSCOUT »

This is just a guess, but I think "Randomly spawned dungeons" may be referring to slightly more "Legend of Zelda" type dungeons, or something like you would find in AdventureCraft. I'm pretty sure Creative mode is something similar to Minecraft Classic, or building with TooManyItems. It lets you build stuff without having to worry about finding the materials first. Creative mode would be for people who just wanted to create huge structures, and not worry about the constraints and dangers of Survival Minecraft. I think I saw somewhere that there would be limited flight capability for Creative mode.
I heard that he is also adding limited flight abilities, which would drastically cut down on noob towers and bridges in creative servers.
Spoiler
Show
Brony, and proud of it
wolf

Post by wolf »

yay sprinting sounds awesome instead of seeing a creeper in a cave and turning around and walking away i can now sprint from it :D
Urian

Post by Urian »

1.8 will also give us a brightness slider. Perhaps we can bid pitch black caves goodbye (on peaceful)?
FlowerChild: Ice in deserts is a good idea
legox97

Post by legox97 »

I believe i read somewhere there was something about dynamic lighting? :D
Also that torches or the rumored lanterns glow with their light while in your hand or on the ground.
At least I hope that'll be in the update :(
I believe Notch said it too, hope i can find it again. I'll have a look and see if I can't find it.
SecretPancake

Post by SecretPancake »

Hopefully it's as good as good as we think, not another wolfs incident!
unseeablething

Post by unseeablething »

You mean, you don't want to see a Better than Adventures mod?
Thalmane

Post by Thalmane »

I think the name of 1.8 says it all. Adventure Update. I believe it's notch fleshing out the rest of the game after creativity. Give the player a reason to explore this super massive randomly generated worlds we keep making.
Flesh_Engine

Post by Flesh_Engine »

the
Once this update is out, there will only some tweaks, optimizations and code cleanups left to the core game before we can call it a full release.
strikes me as odd. Either he means that after the 1.8 there will be only some more tweaks for the adventure update to be considered "finished" or that the adventure update is the last content update to be added before MC goes release.
"An engine of flesh can do that..." // "Man feed Machine. Machine feed Man..."
Urian

Post by Urian »

Flesh_Engine wrote:the
Once this update is out, there will only some tweaks, optimizations and code cleanups left to the core game before we can call it a full release.
strikes me as odd. Either he means that after the 1.8 there will be only some more tweaks for the adventure update to be considered "finished" or that the adventure update is the last content update to be added before MC goes release.
From what he's said earlier, I think it's the latter interpretation.
FlowerChild: Ice in deserts is a good idea
VonGod

Post by VonGod »

"We’ve got a list of some 40+ things we want to add to the game, some small, some big. Some huge."
This is what I'm waiting for. I'm hoping something in here ["Some huge."] is dragons.

Oh, how I would love to run into them ingame.

And since animals and stuff are supposed to be more permanent in the future [So that wool grows back on sheep, etc] if you spot a dragon, perhaps you can build up your gear before tackling it. Especially if you know where it's lair is.

Having some BTW backup at hand is going to make Minecraft one win of a game, I tell you one thing.
Flesh_Engine

Post by Flesh_Engine »

Urian wrote: strikes me as odd. Either he means that after the 1.8 there will be only some more tweaks for the adventure update to be considered "finished" or that the adventure update is the last content update to be added before MC goes release.
From what he's said earlier, I think it's the latter interpretation.
Yeah, i feared as much.

That's kinda depressing tbh but in FC we trust :)
"An engine of flesh can do that..." // "Man feed Machine. Machine feed Man..."
JWA

Post by JWA »

Well I'd assume two things looking at that statement. 1)There will be a literal ton of new content incorporated into 1.8, and 2) Thats just to release the game. I mean Notch wants to make some real money off this right? So hes gotta make sure the average joe can enjoy it enough to buy, then will probably add more content after that. Most games do.
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

Yeah, I heard him saying that, for him, Minecraft will never be finished, and that they'll keep adding stuff. We'll see how long that's true.
Fracture

Post by Fracture »

VonGod wrote:since animals and stuff are supposed to be more permanent in the future
Would open up new worlds of content to make a sedentary lifestyle more practical, or add excellent elements to a nomadic style. Shepherding. If you settle down, you can build a castle to defend and contain your flock (among other things) from predators, while if you're moving about you'd have to constantly watch over them, etc.

Random events like eruptions or forest fires would contribute further to that.
Abracadabra, you're an idiot.
VonGod

Post by VonGod »

Fracture wrote:
VonGod wrote:since animals and stuff are supposed to be more permanent in the future
Would open up new worlds of content to make a sedentary lifestyle more practical, or add excellent elements to a nomadic style. Shepherding. If you settle down, you can build a castle to defend and contain your flock (among other things) from predators, while if you're moving about you'd have to constantly watch over them, etc.

Random events like eruptions or forest fires would contribute further to that.

Oh yeah, it's going to be fun stuff. :D
Glad Notch said he's working on it~
Case

Post by Case »

I think this whole idea of MC being able to be played as a traditional game is....frightening.

Notch has made references to "winning the game" and "being played like a game" on multiple occasions and I simply can't get my head around it. Take Tarraria for example: Its only goal is Item progression. Which honestly works for such a simple game, its a crack fix: The more you do the more you have. The same as most online games infact.

This ofcourse you can't apply to an open world "Sandbox" (I say this with clenched teeth) game. My prediction of the games heading would be Dungeons and Quests to explore and gain "something".
Be it XP, Loot or Currency. (Hmm, the thought just entered my head he could go the way of WoW and provide Vanity pets as quest rewards, You know...Like wolves are, Get it? Ha)

Other than the creative side (I've made some truely wonderful things in MC) and the Modding (I'm still trying to make wonderful things with BTW), I thoroughly enjoy Spelunking and having a goal and a possible end to said underground adventures will be a wonderful addition.

And then you could take your hard earned loot home, to your Windmill and waterwheel powered factory (as we all seem to have nowadays, thank you BTW) and chop stuff up until our next cave bound adventure.