BTW Pure Mods (part 2)

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
grimper12341

BTW Pure Mods (part 2)

Post by grimper12341 »

Found this old thread in my bookmarks:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1682

But of course all that was before BTW was changed to be (mostly) incompatible with everything so it's now defunct. However there must still be a few smaller mods that are still compatible and fit the feel and vision of BTW...anyone got any?
Twololcats

Re: BTW Pure Mods (part 2)

Post by Twololcats »

Well I would probably say allocator and more pistons could work, there's probably a few others that would work but itshard to say since so many mods have forge now (slightly off topic) better than wolves makes me hate forge, they seem to be going for total takeover and every mod that doesn't have it gets left in the dust :/

Oh I would also take a look at the addons and texturepacks section of this forum
There are a few addons in there and all of them are very good mods/addons
Donzaffi

Post by Donzaffi »

Somnia works too
Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative

HIgh Res Texturepack ............43% done
Panda

Post by Panda »

try mine and rausts collab addon : ) in the addon section
Never say no to Panda.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Please restrict discussion of other mods to the off-topic section.
Poppycocks

Post by Poppycocks »

Treecapacitator :P.

Some utility mods work fine. Zepelin, Zipline, Ugocraft, Smart Move, then there's the addons.
duartemad

Post by duartemad »

Poppycocks wrote:Treecapacitator :P.

Some utility mods work fine. Zepelin, Zipline, Ugocraft, Smart Move, then there's the addons.

Smart Move overites some classes of BTW last time I checked.
FlowerChild wrote:
Ph1il93 wrote:and it seems 1.4.6 is comming.
Excuse me for a moment while I say:

Fuck.
Larmantine

Post by Larmantine »

All of raust's mods work fine. Better Dungeons work ok too, wouldn't call them "pure" but they work.
weldaSB wrote:Edit: grammer
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

I'll assume the emote indicates you're joking, as you've got to be joking :)
Poppycocks

Post by Poppycocks »

FlowerChild wrote:
I'll assume the emote indicates you're joking, as you've got to be joking :)
OFC, I gave that one the axe some time ago.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

I actually really like treecapitator for a while as I hate the way cutting down trees works in minecraft. Especially the big ones. The thing that killed it for me though was the jungle trees. It made getting wood just far too easy. Jungles saps + bonemeal + treecapitator = -_-
Joeyjoebob

Post by Joeyjoebob »

duartemad wrote:

Smart Move overites some classes of BTW last time I checked.
Ya but the overwrites are minimal.
TheAnarchitect wrote:
TaterBoy wrote:Well, now I know. And as GI-Joe says, knowing is half the battle. :)
The other half is violence...
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

What kills it for me is that you have to hold a key to NOT use it. I'd rather not accidentally destroy my structures :P

Besides, wood is not a problem for me any more. I spend an hour farming my birch tree farm and I'm set for the next few months.
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
DxPanxD

Post by DxPanxD »

Except that you're now stuck with a few months worth of ugly birch wood. :P
Apparently I'm Capitain Overcomplicate.
Ulfengaard

Post by Ulfengaard »

DxPanxD wrote:Except that you're now stuck with a few months worth of ugly birch wood. :P
^ This. Why did they have to go for birch? Couldn't we get a good cherry or mahogany? Yeesh.

Also, more on-topic, there are very few mods that follow the spirit of BTW, even those that are compatible. Kaos' Deco Add-on, though, is an exception. It feels like a true extension of BTW, offering some aesthetic stuff which takes work to get set up.

I just wish Kaos had been around lately. Hope he hasn't given up on the project.
Awfulcopter wrote:...nothing says harmony with nature better than leaves that bleed. AMIRITE?
dawnraider wrote:I think we need to stop asking how stupid people can be. I think they're starting to take it as a challenge :)
DxPanxD

Post by DxPanxD »

Oh that is a neat little add on, went and looked for it. Love the chairs the most >_>;;

By the way, does anyone know if there's a good floating islands terrain generator out there? No luck finding one ._.
Apparently I'm Capitain Overcomplicate.
kaos78414

Post by kaos78414 »

Ulfengaard wrote:Also, more on-topic, there are very few mods that follow the spirit of BTW, even those that are compatible. Kaos' Deco Add-on, though, is an exception. It feels like a true extension of BTW, offering some aesthetic stuff which takes work to get set up.

I just wish Kaos had been around lately. Hope he hasn't given up on the project.
This made me feel all warm and fuzzy. :P

Nope, haven't forgotten about it, just trying to get all my ducks in a row before I settle back into a routine ya know? It's looking like it might be only a few weeks before the dust has cleared and I'm able to jump back in. :)

On-topic: I feel like there aren't many mods that really fit into the spirit of BTW. I think doggy talents is great if you're looking for something to do on the side, although it doesn't directly tie into BTW in any way (that I know of). Some smaller additions make a world of difference IMO - Risugami's shelf and armor stand mods are pretty cool little decorative additions.
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

I find smart move essential to play, and I'm willing to lose the couple of features they overwrite. The way you climb ropes changes when you use smartmove, which takes some getting used to but doesn't lose functionality. You also lose the draw animation on your composite bow.

In return, you can actually climb stuff, and crawl under things. You must understand, IRL I used to be a traceur. I hate it when my in-game avatars are less skilled at movement than I am.
The infinitely extendable Pottery system
Real Life is an Anarchy Server.
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

TheAnarchitect wrote:I find smart move essential to play, and I'm willing to lose the couple of features they overwrite. The way you climb ropes changes when you use smartmove, which takes some getting used to but doesn't lose functionality. You also lose the draw animation on your composite bow.

In return, you can actually climb stuff, and crawl under things. You must understand, IRL I used to be a traceur. I hate it when my in-game avatars are less skilled at movement than I am.
I think you also lose the new SFS armor stuff.
Ribky

Post by Ribky »

I saw mention of it in a different thread, but I just tried it out alongside BTW for the first time today, and Eriottosan's Japanese culture mod is an amazing addition. Although it is a very different beast in terms of the 'spirit of the mod', it holds a lot of the game play principles that BTW uses and a whole lot of unconventional methods for getting stuff done. There are a whole lot of 'beyond the crafting table' aspects to the mod, and encourages lots of exploration due to biome specific tasks. And from what I've seen, he tries to keep it compatible with BTW.

I only wish that it was a true add-on mod so that he could advertise it more openly on these forums, but he's doing his own thing, which I can respect. And I'm very impressed :)

Plus... this thing is rad.
Spoiler
Show
The spice must flow...

[03:28] <Detritus_> Weird, I'm still logged in her
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

Oh yeah. At the very least, smartmove's swimming overrides the sinking effect. I'm not sure if turning smartmove off will allow you to sink... I'll have to experiment later.
The infinitely extendable Pottery system
Real Life is an Anarchy Server.
Eriottosan

Post by Eriottosan »

@Ribky: mind if I steal that screenshot for MCF?

I'm glad you are enjoying it (:. Yes, I do try very much to make it compatible with BTW - I cannot live without BTW in Minecraft.

That being said, the future of the mod once 1.3 comes means that I think I can talk about it here.

As this post goes on to explain, I plan to break my mod in two, one of which becoming a BTW-addon, I figured it was fair enough to post it here; if a moderator (or a couple of Turtles) feel that this should not be discussed here at this stage, let me know and I will edit the post.

Seeing as it's going to be a heck of a lot of work to update to 1.3, it'll give me a chance to redo a lot of the original code (I started coding 2 days before I started the mod ... So it's untidy and naive in places).

I am not BTW-exclusive in my playstyle - I have 2 .jars, BTW and Forge (Thaumcraft and Mo'Creatures are hard to resist), and my time is probably weighted about 65-35 towards BTW.

What I'm planning to do is split the mod into two different mods, of which one will be a BTW addon, trying to tie in more to BTW, increase the automation potential of mod blocks and items, &c &c. Bear in mind, though, that the mod is still currently in WIP. I am using 1.3 as an excuse to split the mod in two, and to redo a lot of the code. As such, I can't make any promises that old blocks will work in the new version, but I will try my hardest to avoid the changeover causing crashes, as I use it in one of my main BTW worlds.
私は日本語が大好きだ。だから、私と話すとき、日本語で書けば、日本語で書いてください。
I like Japanese, can you tell?
Gargantuan_Penguin

Post by Gargantuan_Penguin »

TheAnarchitect wrote:Oh yeah. At the very least, smartmove's swimming overrides the sinking effect. I'm not sure if turning smartmove off will allow you to sink... I'll have to experiment later.
It doesn't. unfortunately. I got rid of Smart moving simply because I didn't use it enough to justify overwriting BTW.
And HOW!
Eriottosan

Post by Eriottosan »

I've recently found Advanced HUD 4.5, and it seems to work fine with BTW. It doesn't actively *add* anything to the game, but it allows you to reposition all of the HUD elements, change their styles, make them fade etc. It's rather fun, and adds a little more immersion to the game.
私は日本語が大好きだ。だから、私と話すとき、日本語で書けば、日本語で書いてください。
I like Japanese, can you tell?
Ribky

Post by Ribky »

Eriottosan wrote:@Ribky: mind if I steal that screenshot for MCF?
You most certainly can steal it for MCF.

As I've played it more and more, it really does compliment BTW very nicely, a lot of the systems are very automatable used in conjunction with BTW stuff. I really can't wait to see this as an official BTW add-on, it really is like adding another tech tree to the bunch that BTW already has.
The spice must flow...

[03:28] <Detritus_> Weird, I'm still logged in her