New Release! (BTW V3.63)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

New Release! (BTW V3.63)

Post by FlowerChild »

Version 3.63 of Better Than Wolves is ready for download!

Download Link

This release contains the following changes:

-Added Tuning Forks as a new item. These are created on the Anvil using Soulforged Steel. The pitch of a fork may be changed by crafting the fork again. Right-clicking on a regular block with one will play the note associated with that block, just as if a note block were sitting on it. Right-clicking on a note block with one, will set the note block to always play that particular note. For the musically inclined, this makes setting up large numbers of note blocks to play songs MUCH less annoying, and can also just be fun to play around with in striking various surfaces for impromptu jam-sessions :)

-Added ability to pick up ice blocks with the Block Dispenser in preparation for the upcoming change to vanilla where you'll be able to harvest them with silk touch. Note that the final details with regards to how ice will behave in different environments in vanilla MC may not have been settled yet, so please keep in mind that at some point any devices built around ice now may cease to function in a future MC update.

-Added a few more particles to the animal birthing process due to a brilliant player request. Thanks to FlowerChild for this idea and to placenta for being so damn cool!

-Changed ice blocks in Hardcore Buckets mode to not produce water source blocks when harvested or melted, and to melt if they are either not above ground, or in a biome in which they can't naturally form.

-Changed ice blocks to melt instantly when placed in the nether, and to not produce water source blocks when doing so. This basically duplicates some of their placement restrictions in upcoming versions of MC.

-Changed the way wolves produce dung so that they will not do so unless there is open space in the neighboring blocks (entities don't count for this...just blocks). In other words, the block they are attempting to produce dung into has to be empty (or water, or fire...or other replaceable blocks). Short version: wolves don't poop into occupied blocks.

-Changed Dynamite to explode on contact with lava.

-Changed unlit Dynamite so that it converts to an item at the exact position of its entity (minor visual change).

-Changed the way the Block Dispenser places levers, so that if there isn't a valid surface opposite the BD, it will attempt to place the lever on the ground.

-Changed the way water acts when placed with a bucket in HCB mode so that it flows a bit more naturally instead of almost instantly disappearing like it used to.

-Changed (nerfed) Soulforged Steel weapons to reflect the changes that were made to the vanilla ones when enchanting was introduced. They should be much less powerful now.

-Changed the Detector Block and Buddy to act as other solid blocks in terms of relaying redstone signals through them. My apologies for any existing builds that this may break, but I hope you will find the functionality gained through this change will offset that, as you can do some pretty cool stuff with this.

-Changed animal AI so that adult children stop trying to follow their parents, as this was causing problems with particular setups for automated breeding facilities.

-Changed (refactored) the mod's custom code for growing big trees (oak) to bring it up to date with recent changes in the vanilla code-base and to make it simpler to update in the future.

-Changed animals wearing Breeding Harnesses so that they will now damage each other if their collision volumes become imbedded (damn those hooks). This is to prevent exploits with animal breeding facilities where the animals are forced into situations where they exist in the same space.

-Changed (nerfed) the amount of XP dropped by villagers when they are slain, to better fit their new(ish) breeding mechanic.

-Fixed problem where wolves were always producing dung in the same direction, as opposed to it being released relative to the direction their ejector-port is facing, due to a change in the vanilla code.

-Fixed problem with creatures avoiding Vine Traps under certain circumstances. They should be much more reliable now when used in mob-traps.

Enjoy! :)

-------------

If you'd like to say thanks for this release and help contribute to the further development of Better Than Wolves, please consider making a donation:

Mason11987

Re: New Release! (BTW V3.63)

Post by Mason11987 »

Saw the "I'm going to put up a new release soon" post

Didn't sleep.

No regrets. Thanks!
Last edited by Mason11987 on Thu May 24, 2012 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
destineternel

Post by destineternel »

holy moly! Another fun filled update. Thanks FC. :)
<DaveYanakov> I know I overuse them and put them in inappropriate places but they just feel so good.
<icynewyear> shit is delicious
<MagikEh> Don't try to give me da D
Ethinolicbob

Post by Ethinolicbob »

FlowerChild wrote:Changed (nerfed) the amount of XP dropped by villagers when they are slain, to better fit their new(ish) breeding mechanic.
Noooooooooooo!
FlowerChild wrote:Added Tuning Forks
Now lets be honest. We have all heard of your multiplayer exploits. This is in preperation for anarchy... Admit it!
Caboose

Post by Caboose »

The tuning fork sounds like a really fun toy since I don't use note-blocks, and a really useful tool for those who do.

Also Placenta. I can't stop grinning it's so great. Thanks for yet another awesome update FC!
Dry Paratroopa

Post by Dry Paratroopa »

PLACENTA

So, this means that ice will melt at any y height if it's not in a Tundra or Taiga?
Both the Colosseum of the past and the Hunger Games of the (supposed) future stem from the fact that life is simply a competition to see who can live the longest.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Ethinolicbob wrote: Now lets be honest. We have all heard of your multiplayer exploits. This is in preperation for anarchy... Admit it!
Hehe...no, not really. Being off-key with those devices is part of their charm ;)

I was just in a musical mood one afternoon last week and noticed this one on my long-term todo list. Just decided to have some fun with implementing a simple little feature :)
Dry Paratroopa wrote: So, this means that ice will melt at any y height if it's not in a Tundra or Taiga?
Only in HCB, but yes.
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

*squee!*

The only problem with this whatsoever is I need to find the time to make an update video for this. :) Can't let that continue to fall by the wayside while Battosay is away.

Also, Placenta. Plays in perfectly with the end of my last Let's Play episode. :D
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
Yamboyz1

Post by Yamboyz1 »

Wow, I was not expecting this release. Much appreciated, though, the turning forks look awesome... Thanks :)
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other.

-Abraham Lincoln
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Yamboyz1 wrote:Wow, I was not expecting this release. Much appreciated, though, the turning forks look awesome... Thanks :)
You're welcome :)

Eh, they're just a simple little convenience feature for people that like to make music. Nothing too special, and you'll note I didn't bump up the major version number like I normally do for new features ;)
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

-Added a few more particles to the animal birthing process due to a brilliant player request. Thanks to FlowerChild for this idea and to placenta for being so damn cool!
Even though I'm don't have time to play lately, I downloaded immediatelly just to see this.
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

jorgebonafe wrote:Even though I'm don't have time to play lately, I downloaded immediatelly just to see this.
Lol! It really isn't that big a deal, especially considering all the hooplah around it. It was really just a simple little visual effect that occurred to me as I was playing around with animal breeding :)
Graphite

Post by Graphite »

FlowerChild wrote:-Changed the way wolves produce dung so that they will not do so unless there is open space in the neighboring blocks (entities don't count for this...just blocks). In other words, the block they are attempting to produce dung into has to be empty (or water, or fire...or other replaceable blocks). Short version: wolves don't poop into occupied blocks.
This change might affect my future dung-farm design (still haven't finished the bloody thing). I'm assuming this setup isn't going to work now? Or are they just going to be a bit less efficient as they'll only produce dung whenever their backside is facing one of the empty blocks?
Spoiler
Show
If it is going to be breaking, is it just the glass blocks interfering or does the falling water interfere with it as well? I think I can work around the glass easily enough, but the water might be a bit trickier.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Graphite wrote: If it is going to be breaking, is it just the glass blocks interfering or does the falling water interfere with it as well? I think I can work around the glass easily enough, but the water might be a bit trickier.
The glass will block it (so it will reduce your production rate). I specifically mention water in the release notes...which you even quoted.
Kazuya Mishima

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

Thanks flowerchild.

This seems to have resolved my issues with deranged chicken imprinting behavior. The moment i loaded my world and inspected my chicken system the chickens where wandering around normally. Upon opening up the Kill chamber, they filed into it eagerly. You are quite the chicken neurologists. My chickens would thank you but they are all scorched cadavers now.

Aggregating where they should be
Last edited by Kazuya Mishima on Thu May 24, 2012 1:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Kazuya Mishima wrote:Thanks flowerchild.

This seems to have resolved my issues with deranged chicken imprinting behavior. The moment i loaded my world and inspected my chicken system the chickens where wandering around normally. Upon opening up the Kill chamber, they filed into it eagerly. You are quite the chicken neurologists. My chickens would thank you but they are all scorched cadavers now.
Interesting. I suspect that it was then the problem I mentioned with adults still attempting to follow their parents.

Why eggs would track who the parents are, I have no idea, but I guess it did in some odd way :)

Glad it worked out!
Graphite

Post by Graphite »

FlowerChild wrote:The glass will block it (so it will reduce your production rate). I specifically mention water in the release notes...which you even quoted.
In my defense, it was 7:20 in the morning :P

Anyhow, thanks for the clarification
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Graphite wrote: In my defense, it was 7:20 in the morning :P

Anyhow, thanks for the clarification
No worries. I'm pretty out of it myself :)
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

FlowerChild wrote:Lol! It really isn't that big a deal, especially considering all the hooplah around it. It was really just a simple little visual effect that occurred to me as I was playing around with animal breeding :)
No, these little details add so much... I saw the water too. I aways thought the way HCB worked was strange, the water vanishing so fast... As it is now feels much more natural.

Even if little features like this are more aesthetic then not, it improves immersion and makes the game just feel.... right... Not to mention its hilarious XD Specially combined it with the birthing sound...
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

FlowerChild wrote:Why eggs would track who the parents are, I have no idea, but I guess it did in some odd way :)
Like Dr. Malcolm used to say.... Nature.. finds a way....
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

jorgebonafe wrote: No, these little details add so much... I saw the water too. I aways thought the way HCB worked was strange, the water vanishing so fast... As it is now feels much more natural.

Even if little features like this are more aesthetic then not, it improves immersion and makes the game just feel.... right... Not to mention its hilarious XD Specially combined it with the birthing sound...
Hehe...thanks, yeah it gave me a good laugh too :)

And yeah, I agree with you on little touches, which is why I try to do them here and there as time allows. I'll always favor interesting new features that provide additional functionality to the player, but when I think of an easy way to add a bit of polish with minimal effort, I definitely jump on it.

Turns out the water thing for example was exceedingly easy, and I was never fully satisfied with it, I just hadn't thought of the method to make it so easy before ;)

Hopefully it also reduces the number of BTB-related "my water is broke" posts, as it's a bit more apparent now that it's intentional.
tedium

Post by tedium »

the tuning fork will be awesome for anarchy...

"The young Steve was sitting guard on the castle wall when he first noticed shadows in the distance... He called out over ventrillo, but the server had crashed. His friends had left on a mission to steal SFS from a rival guild and destroy their soul urn facility, and weren't due back for a while. It must be an attack! He raced to the defense tower by the gate, ready to fling dynamite at his enemy, when a strange tone sounded. It almost sounded like the 4 note song from Strange Encounters From The Third Kind... and suddenly the shadows took shape, running from the tree's... dozens of them... they ran forwards, but as he dropped his first dynamite they turned around, running backwards a few blocks to avoid the explosion. This kept up for almost ten minutes, rush and retreat, and Steve was starting to run out of dynamite. He was going to lose the guilds fortress if no one came back to help him. And that's when he heard another tone... three shrill notes, followed by 2 deep ones. That was the signal to open the gate, and Steve didn't hesitate. The code changed daily, and was unlikely to be a trick. Quickly rushing to the switch room, he knew that while this battle would now be won, the war would rage on..."

XD
FlowerChild makes heroes of us all, and gives us battle axes where we had swords weak as zombie paws.
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

-Changed (nerfed) Soulforged Steel weapons to reflect the changes that were made to the vanilla ones when enchanting was introduced. They should be much less powerful now.
Sigh.. I knew this was coming.. (As a sidenote, I thought you already had adjusted the weapons way back when the vanilla weapons got changed.)

The problem is, I now need high levels of sharpness to compensate for this nerf, which means a lot of xp grinding, and also that the high sharpness battleaxes I get are not expendable like they used to be, which in turn means I will switch back to longswords and axes.. Oh well. High efficiency picks deal with wood-type blocks fast enough, so I guess axes will only be for wood farming now.
-Added Tuning Forks as a new item. These are created on the Anvil using Soulforged Steel. The pitch of a fork may be changed by crafting the fork again. Right-clicking on a regular block with one will play the note associated with that block, just as if a note block were sitting on it. Right-clicking on a note block with one, will set the note block to always play that particular note. For the musically inclined, this makes setting up large numbers of note blocks to play songs MUCH less annoying, and can also just be fun to play around with in striking various surfaces for impromptu jam-sessions :)
Awesome! Believe it or not, I have always been looking forward for this (I remember it being in your todo lists since my first days here, hehe :]) I love note blocks, but I'm no musician. With this change I can play around with them without having to bug my brother to help me every 5 mins (He is a professional musician, is studying music on many levels, and has the best damn ear I've ever seen in a human being. For eg, I once accidentally bumped in a metal surface, and he turned around and told me what note I made. -_-)

On the ice related changes, Isn't that a bit premature? I mean we know silk touch will pick up ice blocks, but we do not know exactly how they will behave. I'm not counting on Jeb heeding your advice, but you never know, he might have a bright moment and put in some restrictions.
-Changed the way wolves produce dung so that they will not do so unless there is open space in the neighboring blocks (entities don't count for this...just blocks). In other words, the block they are attempting to produce dung into has to be empty (or water, or fire...or other replaceable blocks). Short version: wolves don't poop into occupied blocks.
That would have been so very useful back when wolves pooped without being fed.. I kept finding shit all over my house from the wolves I had outside guarding the door :P
-Changed unlit Dynamite so that it converts to an item at the exact position of its entity (minor visual change).
I cant quite understand what this means. I feel stupid :P
-Changed the Detector Block and Buddy to act as other solid blocks in terms of relaying redstone signals through them. My apologies for any existing builds that this may break, but I hope you will find the functionality gained through this change will offset that, as you can do some pretty cool stuff with this.
Hoho, I've been double-checking my circuitry with this change in mind, and nothing breaks that cannot be easily fixed. I think it is a good change overall ^^
-Changed (nerfed) the amount of XP dropped by villagers when they are slain, to better fit their new(ish) breeding mechanic.
Oh, that makes me feel much better about myself :]

All in all a great update, shame about the weapons but most seem to agree with this so it's just me, oh well. I particularly like the tuning fork I must say :]
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
Norren

Post by Norren »

FlowerChild wrote:-Changed animals wearing Breeding Harnesses so that they will now damage each other if their collision volumes become imbedded (damn those hooks). This is to prevent exploits with animal breeding facilities where the animals are forced into situations where they exist in the same space.
Augh! Scary! Will this damage cows not wearing Breeding Harnesses? If so I have some partitioning in a cow pen to set up before I install this. >_>;

Edit to post goofy shoulder case question image:
Spoiler
Show
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

MoRmEnGiL wrote:On the ice related changes, Isn't that a bit premature? I mean we know silk touch will pick up ice blocks, but we do not know exactly how they will behave. I'm not counting on Jeb heeding your advice, but you never know, he might have a bright moment and put in some restrictions.
Well, when I started the ice suggestion thread asking for details I might have missed, I had actually already done all the work involved with this.

I had this item as a question mark on my todo list for this release, as to whether to remove it, or leave it in.

In the end, I decided that there was no way Jeb was going to listen to me, and I may as well save myself the work of ripping this stuff out just to add it back in a couple of weeks. I added a little bit in the release notes about exercising caution when using ice in builds in case it changes, but I think that's sufficient.

The idea of using ice like this is just too popular for a guy like Jeb to listen to contradicting viewpoints and take them seriously. He also doesn't seem concerned with automation in MC as a design factor.

Maybe it's despair on my part now, or maybe I was being overly optimistic when I even bothered emailing him about this, but either way, I'm confident this is the way ice is going to work in vanilla, and there's nothing I can do about that. I still hate it that the game is going this way, but like I've said, I'll be isolating the mod's design to prevent this kind of thing affecting it too badly in the future.

Ultimately, it's their game to wreck as they see fit, and they seem to be barging headlong into doing so right now on multiple fronts, so it's probably just best for me to step aside and let them do their thing while I do mine.