Hunger Games

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
Yamboyz1

Hunger Games

Post by Yamboyz1 »

So I just saw the Hunger Games with a couple of friends, and I have to admit, it was really really good. I haven't actually read the books so I had no idea what to expect, but now I actually want to read the books because the movie was a definite 9/10, I'd say.
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other.

-Abraham Lincoln
jorgebonafe

Re: Hunger Games

Post by jorgebonafe »

I read the trilogy and really liked it. The movie was just released in the theaters here, I'll watch it tomorrow probably
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
HavokSCOUT

Post by HavokSCOUT »

I just came back from the movie, And I've read the books. The movie was very well done, with only a few small differences. Honestly, the most disappointing part was how Madge didn't give the pin to Katniss. The fire scene was exquisite.
Spoiler
Show
Brony, and proud of it
CheGiuAn wrote:ppl should have faith, not religion....
Katalliaan wrote:It's a tech shrub, more like
MagikEh wrote: D: THE SEEKRET OF SYRUPEY BEAVER NIPPLES HAS BEEN EXPOSED!!! ABORT~!~!
PureZaros

Post by PureZaros »

I've read the first book of the series and I liked it a lot. The second and third I'm hesitant to read, because I've heard that they aren't very good. I'm even more reluctant to watch the move, though, because a bad movie can ruin the book. Eragon and Harry Potter 5 and 6 (?) saw to that.
Spoiler
Show
FlowerChild wrote:
Panda wrote:Edit: Thanks for the sticky good sir. <3
I really wish more women said things like this.
Folrig

Post by Folrig »

I was quite impressed. I've only read the first book, but my wife says the whole pin thing doesn't screw up to story in the long run.

Honestly though, I expected the movie to be terrible. I can't remember the last book-to-movie where the stories were almost identical.

Does this mean that producers and directors are learning?
This...all of this...is just...wonky!
RaustBlackDragon

Post by RaustBlackDragon »

Folrig wrote:I was quite impressed. I've only read the first book, but my wife says the whole pin thing doesn't screw up to story in the long run.

Honestly though, I expected the movie to be terrible. I can't remember the last book-to-movie where the stories were almost identical.

I've tried converting a story to another medium, it's not actually as straightforward as you might think. Some things don't work as well in the new medium, and it's actually a good idea to change them. Not saying that's always the case, but it's not insanity that drives people to change plot points :)
What's the price of freedom now?
Can you cut me a deal?
A crate of wholesale liberty,
or a justice combo meal?
HavokSCOUT

Post by HavokSCOUT »

Folrig wrote:I was quite impressed. I've only read the first book, but my wife says the whole pin thing doesn't screw up to story in the long run.

Actually, Suzanne Collins, the author, was one of the writers and an executive producer. That's what really made the difference, in my opinion.
Spoiler
Show
Brony, and proud of it
CheGiuAn wrote:ppl should have faith, not religion....
Katalliaan wrote:It's a tech shrub, more like
MagikEh wrote: D: THE SEEKRET OF SYRUPEY BEAVER NIPPLES HAS BEEN EXPOSED!!! ABORT~!~!
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

So, if and when we get a BTW server, who wants to run the Hunger Games?
The infinitely extendable Pottery system
Real Life is an Anarchy Server.
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

TheAnarchitect wrote:So, if and when we get a BTW server, who wants to run the Hunger Games?
The Hunger Games is there already, didn't you know? Its on Edolas anarchy. And Razzle plays the part of Katniss.
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

Ah yes. I haven't been to Edolas, because it turns out I can't stand to play vMC anymore.
The infinitely extendable Pottery system
Real Life is an Anarchy Server.
Poppycocks

Post by Poppycocks »

TheAnarchitect wrote:Ah yes. I haven't been to Edolas, because it turns out I can't stand to play vMC anymore.
Same, it would appear, that I'm utterly spoiled.

How can you people play without something as basic as a stupid hopper?
Xekrom337

Post by Xekrom337 »

Poppycocks wrote:
TheAnarchitect wrote:Ah yes. I haven't been to Edolas, because it turns out I can't stand to play vMC anymore.
Same, it would appear, that I'm utterly spoiled.

How can you people play without something as basic as a stupid hopper?
i once broke a diamond hoe on a server looking for hemp seeds :D
then i got depressed and went back to BTW.
Folrig

Post by Folrig »

RaustBlackDragon wrote: I've tried converting a story to another medium, it's not actually as straightforward as you might think. Some things don't work as well in the new medium, and it's actually a good idea to change them. Not saying that's always the case, but it's not insanity that drives people to change plot points :)
Oh, I believe you. I also imagine it takes a very strong writer and/or director to keep the stories close and still keep it entertaining.
HavocSCOUT wrote: Actually, Suzanne Collins, the author, was one of the writers and an executive producer. That's what really made the difference, in my opinion.
It certainly didn't hurt :)
This...all of this...is just...wonky!
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

First off, I must say that even though I did not read the books, I thought this was an awesome movie. Honestly a 9.5 out of 10 in my book. And the .5 off was because I felt some parts felt a bit rushed, but overall it was a great movie. I recommend it to everyone.
Joeyjoebob

Post by Joeyjoebob »

Very good movie, and it stuck extremely well to the book. There were a few things missing, but it's not every day I'm impressed by a movie adapted from a book. I really loved the depictions of the Capital citizens.
TheAnarchitect wrote:
TaterBoy wrote:Well, now I know. And as GI-Joe says, knowing is half the battle. :)
The other half is violence...
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

I just watched it, and it was just as awesome as I expected. Honestly one of the best book adaptations I've seen, right there next to the Girl With the Dragon Tattoo.
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

Looks like everyone liked the film. This is a very good indication that I won't :P
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

And yet everyone loves Thunderdome...
Better is the enemy of Good
FaceFoiled

Post by FaceFoiled »

I watched it last Friday, and I enjoyed the first half of the movie. When the actual "games" started it all went to shit for me. I have not read the book, and was not sure what to expect but I do love the Battle Royal book and movie. The way I went into this was with the mindset of "western/modern version of battle royal".

What it ended up was a good setup with interesting characters, and when the action started it was all rubbish. And what was up with the camera work?! Seriously, never heard of a Steadycam? My god how can they not view the action footage and realize that watching a blurry bad caption is bad? I get the "chaos filming" to be taken as, being part of the action that is going on, but it was just horrible to watch those parts.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

DaveYanakov wrote:And yet everyone loves Thunderdome...
Actually, I hated Thunderdome :)

Saw Hunger Games last night and quite enjoyed it though.
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

Well, thunderdome is very sub-par compared to the first two ones, but I can't say I really hate it as such though..
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

MoRmEnGiL wrote:Well, thunderdome is very sub-par compared to the first two ones, but I can't say I really hate it as such though..
I liked the beginning, all the way up until he meets the kids, and the ending wasn't bad. I think that's a pretty standard fan reaction. "Hate" might be too strong a word.
RaustBlackDragon

Post by RaustBlackDragon »

Oh come on, can't we just get BEYOND THUNDERDOME?
What's the price of freedom now?
Can you cut me a deal?
A crate of wholesale liberty,
or a justice combo meal?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

RaustBlackDragon wrote:Oh come on, can't we just get BEYOND THUNDERDOME?
Maybe. We'll have to see what the sequel that's supposedly been in the works forever is like. They're already off to a bad start with no Mel Gibson though IMO. An old Max would have been pretty cool.

EDIT: Actually...revising my earlier statement, I liked Thunderdome UNTIL the end of the fight in the Thunderdome itself. Just a few minutes difference until he meets the kids, but I think that's the precise point where the movie took a turn for the worse. The whole "let's give Max a heart" idea was what messed it up IMO, and that's where it begins. It's kinda like the whole "Han shot first" thing. Max always had an aspect of anti-hero to him, and messing with that was where it went wrong.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

I have to agree on the end of that fight but I was able to overlook the rest of it. The lesser movie for me was actually the original. THat may be because I was way too young to get what was going on last time I saw it though.

Guess I have a plan for this week while I wait for videocard payday.
Better is the enemy of Good