Make Companion Cubes give off hearts when punched

If you want to get banned, this is the place to post.
ninjapenguin23

Make Companion Cubes give off hearts when punched

Post by ninjapenguin23 »

I was really excited to make a door using this glitch that you had to punch a companion cube to open. Sadly, they dont enjoy being punched D:

Could companion cubes please emit hearts when they are punched, the same way that they do when they are placed?
It would be really cool to be able to use them as some sort of sick, perverted button :D.

IDK if they have enough meta-data to do this, seeing as they need it to figure out which direction they are facing, but since they give off hearts when they are placed, it seems like it might be feasible to make them do it when they are punched as well.
Darken5

Re: Make Companion Cubes give off hearts when punched

Post by Darken5 »

rofl, this is almost as disturbing an idea as my Redstone Powered Companion Cube idea from a few days back that i wanted the companion cube to yelp when porered, then hook it to a rapid pulser ^^. I approve of disturbing uses for Companion Cubes myself.
Life sucks, get a cat!
ninjapenguin23

Post by ninjapenguin23 »

couldn't you also do that with a block dispenser? just have the BD suck in and spit out the companion cube over and over?
Darken5

Post by Darken5 »

BD would require me to have ever gotten to making steel... which i have yet to do. Plus its more disturbing to think "Electro-Stimulation".
Life sucks, get a cat!
ninjapenguin23

Post by ninjapenguin23 »

I dunno, cramming an animal into a tiny little box and making it pop back out rapidly seems pretty disturbing to me...
Darken5

Post by Darken5 »

not really... I just see the BD as being the companion Cubes Dog House... but yea, still entertaining. I mainly want to use the "yelp" as an alarm sound on my 5 minute alarm clock. Up until i can fully automate everything. Gues im stuck with note blocks untill i get a BD... tho by that time i can automate everything ^^
Life sucks, get a cat!
Xekrom337

Post by Xekrom337 »

Darken5 wrote:BD would require me to have ever gotten to making steel... which i have yet to do. Plus its more disturbing to think "Electro-Stimulation".
but companion cubes NEED bd's... -.-
Darken5

Post by Darken5 »

Xekrom337 wrote:
Darken5 wrote:BD would require me to have ever gotten to making steel... which i have yet to do. Plus its more disturbing to think "Electro-Stimulation".
but companion cubes NEED bd's... -.-

.... good point.... very good point... thought had never even crossed my mind. lol. (not being sarcastic either, had a total blond moment on that, roflmao)
Life sucks, get a cat!
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

If companion cubes cause a block update when punched, you can use a BB to turn them into a control device :P

Ie, punch the cube, door opens.

While this is hilarious (and Gil is always in search of new input devices ;]) , I don't know if this is reasonable at all implementation-wise..
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
Zhil

Post by Zhil »

MoRmEnGiL wrote:While this is hilarious (and Gil is always in search of new input devices ;]) , I don't know if this is reasonable at all implementation-wise..
It's reasonable, I wonder if FC would go for this. Maybe I'll turtle it.

The particle effect though, I don't know if that is reasonable.
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Poppycocks

Post by Poppycocks »

Gilberreke wrote:
MoRmEnGiL wrote:While this is hilarious (and Gil is always in search of new input devices ;]) , I don't know if this is reasonable at all implementation-wise..
It's reasonable, I wonder if FC would go for this. Maybe I'll turtle it.

The particle effect though, I don't know if that is reasonable.
I don't know, punched companion cubes sending block updates feels a bit odd to me. I mean, It's a great solution and much nicer (if not cheaper) than the solution for which the OP's intending it. But I've got a feeling of redundancy. As oposed to that the op's idea is new and different.

Besides, punches for love, what's not to love?
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

That it's a glitch, that's what's not to love :P
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
Poppycocks

Post by Poppycocks »

MoRmEnGiL wrote:That it's a glitch, that's what's not to love :P
Yeah, that's a bit of a downside considering it could be fixed sooner or later.

However, glitches like that are fun emergent gameplay and I love them dearly.

Maybe I'm just weird or something :D.

Actually that just gave me an idea. I could probably use that bug to detect if a mechanical contraption's getting power. It probably would be much use.... But it's still a nice functionality to have - imo.

EDIT: OH! How's about a smoke(/particle) detector block?
Just asking because this situation remind me of how the Buddy block came to be.
ninjapenguin23

Post by ninjapenguin23 »

Personally, i doubt that this glitch will be fixed soon, if ever. It seems like it would be something pretty annoying to track down, its not like its having any adverse effects, and it seems very low priority. Also, its really really cool IMO :D

I dont think we need something like a particle detector block, though. It wouldn't serve much of a purpose. The buddy block differs fundamentally from a regular BUD switch because it doesn't get affected by redstone updates. Theres a specific need there that couldn't be filled with a bud switch. Also, the Buddy reacts way faster than a bud switch, letting it do stuff that a bud switch couldn't.

I just dont think anything like that applies to a particle detector...
Poppycocks

Post by Poppycocks »

ninjapenguin23 wrote:Personally, i doubt that this glitch will be fixed soon, if ever. It seems like it would be something pretty annoying to track down, its not like its having any adverse effects, and it seems very low priority. Also, its really really cool IMO :D

I dont think we need something like a particle detector block, though. It wouldn't serve much of a purpose. The buddy block differs fundamentally from a regular BUD switch because it doesn't get affected by redstone updates. Theres a specific need there that couldn't be filled with a bud switch. Also, the Buddy reacts way faster than a bud switch, letting it do stuff that a bud switch couldn't.

I just dont think anything like that applies to a particle detector...
Hm, true. I reckon this also blows MoRmEnGiLs argument out of the water.

But technicalities aside, getting love for punches feels like "BTW spirit". Reason enough for me.
ninjapenguin23

Post by ninjapenguin23 »

Yeah, the love for punches thing was really what made me like this idea :D
as a side note, it looks REALLY funny when you stick a button on a companion cube face
:P
oh, and if it did break, you could probably put a button on instead...
lilaznkilla

Post by lilaznkilla »

If it does cause a block update when punched, looking into the red stone ore could help with implementation. the buddy block can detect the ore when it changes its state.

Also it seems like a nice way to make a hidden switch.
ninjapenguin23

Post by ninjapenguin23 »

lilaznkilla wrote:If it does cause a block update when punched, looking into the red stone ore could help with implementation. the buddy block can detect the ore when it changes its state.

Also it seems like a nice way to make a hidden switch.
oh yeah, i had totally forgotten about redstone ore... :P im pretty sure that gives off a particle effect when you punch it, too. Infact, just applying its code to the buddy block, replacing its particle effect with the hearts, and removing the lighting could probably give the desired result, with the added (but not necessarily bad) caveat that they would like being stepped on too...
SgtChuckle

Post by SgtChuckle »

I like the love for punches, but the block update for punches? Not so much. You might as well use a button.
Poppycocks wrote:Suggesting to hack the logo on all sides is akin to suggesting someone to take a crap out of a window if he doesn't like his toilet seat.
ninjapenguin23

Post by ninjapenguin23 »

Yeah, I dont really like block updates either. Stuff just sorta swung that way :P
Zhil

Post by Zhil »

SgtChuckle wrote:I like the love for punches, but the block update for punches? Not so much. You might as well use a button.
The idea is that it's boring to have so few redstone inputs. The more, the merrier :)
whitechaos35

Post by whitechaos35 »

And, it would be nice to have a touch input like this that didn't take up a block. Imagine, elevators that didn't have crappy input because the button took up a block so the platform had to have a missing block...
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

This messes with my shtick of petting my Companion Cube in my videos. Won't happen :)
Yamboyz1

Post by Yamboyz1 »

I've always thought that you were hitting them...
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other.

-Abraham Lincoln
Zhil

Post by Zhil »

So, before this thread dies: You can still use redstone ore for the same purpose. Punch a redstone ore block and it sends out a block update :)