Vanilla Minecraft News Discussion

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
MaxAstro

Re: Morvelaira's News Compilation

Post by MaxAstro »

So I haven't seen this discussed here yet, but one thing on the 1.4 changelog on the wiki jumps out at me.
Players see other players moving around on the same map
That seems to me like a potentially huge change to anarchy play. I can't quite decide if it's better or worse - there is a part of me that likes the idea that a map of your area could be used as an "early detection system" to warn you of encroaching PCs. With FC's change to maps where it would only show PCs moving above ground, this could even be an interesting mechanic whereby players are encouraged to stay underground near suspected PC bases to stay "under the radar".

On the other hand, it turns maps into a magic radar device, and that is kinda lame from the get-go.

Also: does anyone know if "on the same map" means "within range of the map you are holding" or "holding a copy of your map"? The second is less of a radar but potentially cool for anarchy-alliances.
"In the near future, the apocalypse has had an apocalypse."
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

MaxAstro wrote:So I haven't seen this discussed here yet, but one thing on the 1.4 changelog on the wiki jumps out at me.
Players see other players moving around on the same map
That seems to me like a potentially huge change to anarchy play. I can't quite decide if it's better or worse - there is a part of me that likes the idea that a map of your area could be used as an "early detection system" to warn you of encroaching PCs. With FC's change to maps where it would only show PCs moving above ground, this could even be an interesting mechanic whereby players are encouraged to stay underground near suspected PC bases to stay "under the radar".

On the other hand, it turns maps into a magic radar device, and that is kinda lame from the get-go.

Also: does anyone know if "on the same map" means "within range of the map you are holding" or "holding a copy of your map"? The second is less of a radar but potentially cool for anarchy-alliances.
I'm fairly certain FC mentioned he'll be stripping that capability out of the maps altogether. It's a map, not a radar.
Six

Post by Six »

MaxAstro wrote: Also: does anyone know if "on the same map" means "within range of the map you are holding" or "holding a copy of your map"? The second is less of a radar but potentially cool for anarchy-alliances.
From what I heard about the snapshots, it is only if someone else also has a COPY of the map you are holding in their hotbar. FC already mentioned he plans to strip the new ability to copy maps, so that would get rid of this.
javierbs

Post by javierbs »

Well I just tested 1.4 for a while and I must admit I quite like some of the features, my favorite being that mobs seems to be getting updates more often ^^

Aside from that and the ability to name weapons can really add some general epicness, kind of nice in an adventure map when you may look for a legendary weapon xD . I know must of ppl here thinks the combination of enchanted things is a bad idea but it got a good exp cost, and I bet FC will probably delete that captability in a future...
destineternel

Post by destineternel »

looks like 1.4.3 is in the pipeline.

https://twitter.com/jeb_/status/262949548715040768
<DaveYanakov> I know I overuse them and put them in inappropriate places but they just feel so good.
<icynewyear> shit is delicious
<MagikEh> Don't try to give me da D
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

destineternel wrote:looks like 1.4.3 is in the pipeline.

https://twitter.com/jeb_/status/262949548715040768
Fuck.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

walker_boh_65 wrote: Fuck.
Thanks for saying it for me :)
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

That sucks man. 16 more hours all over again? My sympathies.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Sarudak wrote:That sucks man. 16 more hours all over again? My sympathies.
No...it shouldn't be as bad. Most of the work involved was due to me having to refactor all my base-class edits due to the switch from JAD to Fernflower.

Basically, this meant I needed to do a completely manual integration of all the changes in 110 different files, including going over the logic of the surrounding code due to changes in variable names, and in a number of cases, the overall logic flow due to how the different decompilers handled things.

By contrast, in porting to 1.4.3, I'll be able to use a diff tool which serves to largely automate the process, and the code differences should be minimal.

It'll still take me a few hours probably, mainly because I'm rather anal about how I do these kinds of code merges, but the main problem here is that it once again throws us back into uncertainty over ModLoader.
Calo290

Post by Calo290 »

While it's hard to complain about Mojang making bugfixes, I kind of wish they'd just go over their releases with more of a fine-tooth comb the first time around.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Calo290 wrote:While it's hard to complain about Mojang making bugfixes, I kind of wish they'd just go over their releases with more of a fine-tooth comb the first time around.
They don't play the game remember? :P
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Calo290 wrote:While it's hard to complain about Mojang making bugfixes, I kind of wish they'd just go over their releases with more of a fine-tooth comb the first time around.
Well, that's the thing that winds up pissing me off. Now, they're even pre-releasing a week early, and I'd hope it would at least partially be to avoid exactly this kind of thing happening.

I'm all for fixing the bugs, I'm just not so keen on the overall process involved here.
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

FlowerChild wrote:Well, that's the thing that winds up pissing me off. Now, they're even pre-releasing a week early, and I'd hope it would at least partially be to avoid exactly this kind of thing happening.

I'm all for fixing the bugs, I'm just not so keen on the overall process involved here.
Don't forget the weekly snapshots, often having a part 2 for bug fixes for the past 3 months.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Sometimes I wish they'd just stop working on minecraft. I mean the amount of cool stuff you could have added in 16 hours not spent on refactoring and updating is more than they did in this entire release... Mostly they just put in crap that makes the game easier.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Sarudak wrote:Sometimes I wish they'd just stop working on minecraft. I mean the amount of cool stuff you could have added in 16 hours not spent on refactoring and updating is more than they did in this entire release... Mostly they just put in crap that makes the game easier.
Yup...I definitely hear that, and it's the same sentiment that's been building within me as well.

Also, take note that I wasn't done with the port to 1.4.2 either. I'd say there's probably another 4 hours works there to integrate with the ML version.

Then I'd probably be spending about a man day (say 8 hours) tweaking their new features into a shape I feel is appropriate for the mod.

So even without this 1.4.3 thing (let's say that adds another 4 hours), we would have been talking about somewhere in the neighborhood of 28-30 hours for the update that I could have been spending on mod features instead.

Still though, I'd rather just get this out of the way as quickly as possible so I can return to working on the mod without having to worry about this for another few months.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Don't you mean until 1.4.4? XP
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Interesting tweet from Dinnerbone:
Optifine did not want us to include it in Mincraft. We are working on something so much more performant, so it doesn't matter :)
I've heard mention of this kind of thing before, but sounds like good news for people that are having trouble running BTW with Optifine.
Calo290

Post by Calo290 »

FlowerChild wrote:Interesting tweet from Dinnerbone:
Optifine did not want us to include it in Mincraft. We are working on something so much more performant, so it doesn't matter :)
I've heard mention of this kind of thing before, but sounds like good news for people that are having trouble running BTW with Optifine.
That's really good news for me actually, while my desktop runs MC fine without Optifine, my wife's laptop...not so much.

I was beginning to get really nervous with both mods converting to 1.4.2 soon, since Optifine's B3 and later versions screw up BTW's textures for some reason.
Gormador

Post by Gormador »

"so much more performant" ? Ok, so why haven't they done that a while back ? It seems – tell me if I'm wrong – that Dinnerbone spends a lot of his time bragging those days...
FlowerChild wrote:If you have a suggestion, I recommend that it have pure manna from heaven flowing forth from its vagina to warrant posting it at this point in time.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Gormador wrote:"so much more performant" ? Ok, so why haven't they done that a while back ? It seems – tell me if I'm wrong – that Dinnerbone spends a lot of his time bragging those days...
Well, they've been talking about refactoring the rendering pipeline in MC for awhile now, which I think is their big todo task for 1.5, and is supposed to be a step towards the mod API.

My hopes is that it'll also be providing additional texture indexes and such, both because vanilla itself is running out, and because it will allow me to finally ditch the remaining Forge code in the mod.

Honestly, the current rendering code is pretty messed up. I dug into it a fair amount while working on the dirt slabs, and it'll be really nice if it gets some love.

Also, I'll keep my fingers crossed they'll also be providing high-res texture support (I've seen mention of that in the past too), so we can ditch a lot of the compatibility problems we're running into with MCPatcher as well.

Anyways, I think this is very good news overall, and I REALLY hope they follow through on these plans and that they don't keep getting pushed back release after release like with the mod API.

As for Dinnerbone, he seems to just spend an ungodly amount of time on Twitter in general. I generally avoid his page as it's very hard to wade through everything to get to any real information.
Ferrus.Manus

Post by Ferrus.Manus »

Gormador wrote:"so much more performant" ? Ok, so why haven't they done that a while back ? It seems – tell me if I'm wrong – that Dinnerbone spends a lot of his time bragging those days...
I guess it's the same "ideal but hell to implement solution" vs "simple and practical if bit less optimal solution" issue Mojang have with mod API as well.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Ferrus.Manus wrote: I guess it's the same "ideal but hell to implement solution" vs "simple and practical if bit less optimal solution" issue Mojang have with mod API as well.
Well, whereas I'm generally pretty pessimistic about this kind of news from Mojang these days, in this case I'm not.

Rendering code is pretty darn practical by nature. It's not quite so easy to descend into theoretical wankery, and as far as I know, they're also not trying to get community input on this one, so I think it'll be a much more streamlined a process.

Anyways, I'm hopeful about it. I just kinda stumbled across the tweet, but it gave me an uncharacteristic flash of optimism. This is a very real and immediate issue that needs to be addressed, and they seem to be working on it. That's good news.
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

Good to see you are confident about this one man. Makes me think that this will actually get done.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

walker_boh_65 wrote:Good to see you are confident about this one man. Makes me think that this will actually get done.
Well, I generally just make honest statements about my evaluation of a situation. Those have been frequently negative as of late because I honestly haven't seen a whole lot of good news come out of Mojang.

And while I may have my objections to both Jeb and Dinnerbone as *game designers* (and that's a matter of qualification really...I don't think they should have been put in the position of basically *having* to be designers to do their job), I have no real reason to doubt their technical competence. Therefore, seeing something like this is just good news all around.
Husbag3

Post by Husbag3 »

Does anyone know whether villager relationships are global or specific to each village?
If the minecraft world is infinite, why does the sun still rotate around it?