Vanilla Minecraft News Discussion

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
EvanT

Re: Morvelaira's News Compilation

Post by EvanT »

Given that food is no problem to get, one more source for it will not break anything more than it already is. Making it a bit harder to produce would have been better though. But how hard is it to kill a cow and put it's meat into a furnace? I guess that giving <5% of the user base an item which eases their conscience and does not hurt anyone else is Mojang's way of "stay in the news".

Kind of offtopic so
Spoiler
Show
I do not want to start a discussion about this the following is intended to give some insight.

Regarding "bitching vegetarians":
Most vegetarians make that choice based on their conscience (at least those who make it past the first years) and getting there will make it harder to "kill" a single virtual cow than "killing" hundreds of virtual PCs because they did not make that choice based on a distaste but because they could not stand the animal's living conditions and deaths to have a taste for 10 seconds. To stay committed to that decision in a world where meat is widely available and it is easy to forget where the meat is coming from is sometimes a daily struggle which requires a bit fanaticism. And in few cases this unfortunately creates a lag of tolerance for temptation.
"We are not shooting for realism,.. we are shooting for awesome!"
Donzaffi

Post by Donzaffi »

Some people call thereselves vegetarians in MCF only to have something to complain about, I am vegetarian since many years, and I 5 stacks of tanned leather in my chests.....

But to topic I am the only one thinking that the development of minecraft starvates this year ?
Got so a feeling now that the API is not going to happen in 1.4.
Don't know perhabs I am thinking to pessimistic
Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative

HIgh Res Texturepack ............43% done
Svartwolf

Post by Svartwolf »

in fact i believe that it was officialy stated by jeb on a tweeter that the API isn't coming for this "haloween themed" update. so yeah... though at this point i'm kinda more excited for the blocks ID expansion.... but i kinda feels that in's coming either with 1.4

so far i've liked the heads, the wither, the fences, corner stairs and the items display blocks, but seriously the pumpkin pie not being like a cake? how i'm supposed to start my bakery with plain pies hanging from the walls? D:

good to know that once the IDs are done FC will right the wrong, but still buggers me... i wonder of chocolate cake and apple pies are also on the list? : D
kjbrona

Post by kjbrona »

Wither Update in the latest snapshot:
When the Wither is summoned, it has a damage shield as it's health regens to full. Then it does a huge explosion (several TNT worth) and becomes aggressive. It then will randomly shoot it's explosive missiles while it is looking for mobs or players to kill.

So ... this looks like it makes it impossible to "trap" for an easy kill unless you encase it in obsidian.

Source at 10:12 :
Spoiler
Show
Donzaffi

Post by Donzaffi »

kjbrona wrote:Wither Update in the latest snapshot:
When the Wither is summoned, it has a damage shield as it's health regens to full. Then it does a huge explosion (several TNT worth) and becomes aggressive. It then will randomly shoot it's explosive missiles while it is looking for mobs or players to kill.

So ... this looks like it makes it impossible to "trap" for an easy kill unless you encase it in obsidian.

Source at 10:12 :
Spoiler
Show
or SFS blocks, lets wait until 1.4 comes out and BTW for 1.4.
I think if FC want to make i farmable he makes it

Elevatator

Post by Elevatator »

So the Wither mob will become a mob that will be used as an easy to obtain Tnt base destroying weapon in servers? Not so nice.
⠀⠀⠀⢀⣀⣠⣤⣤⣤⣶⣶⣶⣦⡀
⠀⠀⢠⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣦
⠀⢀⣾⣿⣿⠟⠉⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠻⣿⣿⣷⣄
⠀⣼⣿⣿⠏⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠘⣿⣿⣿⣧
⣰⣿⣿⣿⡀⠀⢀⣴⣾⠿⣵⣦⠀⠀⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠙⢿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠈⠛⠁⠀⠈⠁⠀⣠⣿⣿⡏
⠀⠀⠻⣿⣿⣷⣤⣀⣀⢀⣀⣠⣾⣿⣿⡿
⠀⠀⠀⠈⢻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡥⠤⠒⣢
⠀⠀⠀⠀⣀⣽⣿⣿⡿⠿⠿⠛⠉⠁⣀⣤⣶⠟⠁
⠀⠀⢴⣭⣥⣶⣾⣿⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⠁
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣿⣿⣿⡷⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⣧⡀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢾⣿⣿⣿⣤⣤⣤⣤⣤⣼⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁
Ferrus.Manus

Post by Ferrus.Manus »

Elevatator wrote:So the Wither mob will become a mob that will be used as an easy to obtain Tnt base destroying weapon in servers? Not so nice.
Wither skeleton skulls are way, way harder to get than gunpowder. They only spawn in nether fortress, the skull have 2.5% drop rate and you need 3 of them.
Last edited by Ferrus.Manus on Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
Elevatator

Post by Elevatator »

Ok... that makes it a bit harder to obtain than I thought.
⠀⠀⠀⢀⣀⣠⣤⣤⣤⣶⣶⣶⣦⡀
⠀⠀⢠⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣦
⠀⢀⣾⣿⣿⠟⠉⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠻⣿⣿⣷⣄
⠀⣼⣿⣿⠏⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠘⣿⣿⣿⣧
⣰⣿⣿⣿⡀⠀⢀⣴⣾⠿⣵⣦⠀⠀⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠙⢿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠈⠛⠁⠀⠈⠁⠀⣠⣿⣿⡏
⠀⠀⠻⣿⣿⣷⣤⣀⣀⢀⣀⣠⣾⣿⣿⡿
⠀⠀⠀⠈⢻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡥⠤⠒⣢
⠀⠀⠀⠀⣀⣽⣿⣿⡿⠿⠿⠛⠉⠁⣀⣤⣶⠟⠁
⠀⠀⢴⣭⣥⣶⣾⣿⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⠁
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣿⣿⣿⡷⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⣧⡀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢾⣿⣿⣿⣤⣤⣤⣤⣤⣼⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁
MaxAstro

Post by MaxAstro »

Actually that makes it an awesomely balanced weapon, in my opinion. If you want to work your butt off to collect the resources, then you basically have MineCraft's equivalent of a nuclear weapon to go mess someone's base up with.

So far I like everything that has been done with this new boss in 1.4. ...That's about all of 1.4 that has me excited, though...
"In the near future, the apocalypse has had an apocalypse."
IowaGuy

Post by IowaGuy »

Now if they could just make the wither healed by nearby obsidian.
The Phoenixian

Post by The Phoenixian »

IowaGuy wrote:Now if they could just make the wither healed by nearby obsidian.
Why?
♪ The screams of the souls of the damned and dying,
Fuels for me, the Industry. ♪
AngelWithDirtyHands

Post by AngelWithDirtyHands »

IowaGuy wrote:Now if they could just make the wither healed by nearby obsidian.
You sir, are a masochist :p

What does it say about me that I was more bothered by the changes to redstone buttons than I was by any of the new features? xD
Spoiler
Show
Zen Proclivities wrote:Much obliged to all your devilish details FC.
...except for Hardcore Bucket, that one is a bitch. But such is life, and life says work for it you pussy.
Kazuya Mishima

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

Ferrus.Manus wrote:They only spawn in nether fortress, the skull have 2.5% drop rate and you need 3 of them.
I can't think of anything more arduous that skating up and down a nether fortress and click spamming on over 100 grey skeletons.

Anyway i watched the new etho video of him going at it with the Wither and it is a rather boring looking mechanic. The thing basically stays glued to you.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

I hope that I've interpreted the wither skeleton spawning correctly and they spawn in chunks based on a generated fortress, as opposed to just spawning within a particular radius of one. Psudo-slimes can be dealt with, but having otherwise unidentifiable boundaries is just something that'll push players towards using tools to find out.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Stormweaver wrote:I hope that I've interpreted the wither skeleton spawning correctly and they spawn in chunks based on a generated fortress, as opposed to just spawning within a particular radius of one. Psudo-slimes can be dealt with, but having otherwise unidentifiable boundaries is just something that'll push players towards using tools to find out.
It's the kind of thing I can easily change to netherbrick if that's the case, as I agree with you.
DxPanxD

Post by DxPanxD »

So apparently the new mob dinnerbone has been planning is a witch. I wonder how it'll spawn. It'd be neat if they had little shacks in the middle of nowhere, but of course that'd make it a bit difficult to find them in worlds that have already been explored a lot.

"Nathan Adams
Finished some behaviour code for the a new ranged mob, now the hard part; texturing it :("

"How do you even draw a witch anyway? Pointy nose? In a blocky world it'd look like Pinocchio!"

"I decided to go for a less traditional witch look and have an "offshoot villager" kinda thing. It has a magical nose that wiggles, too."
Apparently I'm Capitain Overcomplicate.
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

Yep I saw that. While FC works on balancing villager trading, mojang makes wiggly noses.
Donzaffi

Post by Donzaffi »

SterlingRed wrote:Yep I saw that. While FC works on balancing villager trading, mojang makes wiggly noses.
LoL

I waiting for it to come out before I say somehting about it perhabs it gives new challenges, like the green walking phallus

DxPanxD

Post by DxPanxD »

It'd be interesting if they're anything like that Halloween mod that was on the front page last year. The witches gave random debuffs, although the only one I remember is one where your health randomly jumped around

Edit: found the thread

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/751 ... -kodaichi/

The jumpkins were kinda neat too
Apparently I'm Capitain Overcomplicate.
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

New snapshot. http://www.mojang.com/2012/09/minecraft ... ot-12w38a/
Not much to speak of except: "new neutral mob" What? Usually mojang leaks everything nowadays. Hadn't heard about that one.

Edit: noteworthy details!
New neutral mob is bats! They drop nothing and have 1 HP.
Witches throw harmful splash potions, harming, slow, poison, etc.
New sounds
Log orientation placement change. Log will orient based on the side of the block you click on to place it if I read that right.
Last edited by SterlingRed on Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Magnavode

Post by Magnavode »

*ninja'd*

Reddit has more information though: http://www.reddit.com/r/Minecraft/comme ... ed/c6avo4f
thekyz

Post by thekyz »

Elevatator

Post by Elevatator »

I´m pretty sure I know what Fc will make with the bats.
⠀⠀⠀⢀⣀⣠⣤⣤⣤⣶⣶⣶⣦⡀
⠀⠀⢠⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣦
⠀⢀⣾⣿⣿⠟⠉⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠻⣿⣿⣷⣄
⠀⣼⣿⣿⠏⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠘⣿⣿⣿⣧
⣰⣿⣿⣿⡀⠀⢀⣴⣾⠿⣵⣦⠀⠀⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠙⢿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠈⠛⠁⠀⠈⠁⠀⣠⣿⣿⡏
⠀⠀⠻⣿⣿⣷⣤⣀⣀⢀⣀⣠⣾⣿⣿⡿
⠀⠀⠀⠈⢻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡥⠤⠒⣢
⠀⠀⠀⠀⣀⣽⣿⣿⡿⠿⠿⠛⠉⠁⣀⣤⣶⠟⠁
⠀⠀⢴⣭⣥⣶⣾⣿⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⠁
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣿⣿⣿⡷⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⣧⡀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢾⣿⣿⣿⣤⣤⣤⣤⣤⣼⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁
Ferrus.Manus

Post by Ferrus.Manus »

Elevatator wrote:I´m pretty sure I know what Fc will make with the bats.
Bite their heads of?
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

Ferrus.Manus wrote:
Elevatator wrote:I´m pretty sure I know what Fc will make with the bats.
Bite their heads of?
Seems to me that bats are just a "neat" aesthetic feature. Not every new thing has a use, or should have one. We also don't know if they will stay. The last time Minecraft had a Halloween update, some of the content was temporary if I remember right. (I could be wrong, I started playing a month after that update)