Move items from BD to world without player involvmenet?

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
cam94509

Move items from BD to world without player involvmenet?

Post by cam94509 »

That is to say, is it possible to move an item from the BD inventory into, say, a stream of water, without going in and removing the items myself? If so, how? I've gone through the wiki, and nothing about how to do so is mentioned, but from the videos, it looks like it must be possible, but I can't figure out how. Is it possible, and how?
Azdoine

Re: Move items from BD to world without player involvmenet?

Post by Azdoine »

It's a dispenser, man. How do you think you eject an item?
jonny_AB

Post by jonny_AB »

I'm pretty sure he means without placing the block, rather, spitting the block out in item form.
And at the moment, no, there is not.
"What's the meaning of life?"
Though your life’s given meaning by you
I’ll say what I’ve found to be true -
it’s enriching your mind
but above all, be kind.
(Or alternatively, “forty-two.”)
cam94509

Post by cam94509 »

Azdoine wrote:It's a dispenser, man. How do you think you eject an item?
Derp, I suppose I phrased my question wrong. I meant as in "I have a block. I break the block with the BD. That block is now an item in the BD's inventory. Obviously, if I apply a red stone signal, out will pop... a block, which isn't terribly useful for transport or storage purposes. Is there a way to remove said blocks in item form from the BD without placing them as blocks in the world, or manually removing them"? (Sadly, due to title restrictions, what I actually meant was anything but clear.)
Edit: Thank you jonny_AB
LordOrmas

Post by LordOrmas »

The only thing that pops in my mind is using pistons to move the block to another BD that acts as a some sort of chest... It's not always applicable and i'm not sure if this really solves your problem though.

edit: OR you could always use mining charges, if i'm not mistaken they transform every block in a 3x3 cube in front of them into their item form. But still, not much practical :P.
cam94509

Post by cam94509 »

LordOrmas wrote:The only thing that pops in my mind is using pistons to move the block to another BD that acts as a some sort of chest... It's not always applicable and i'm not sure if this really solves your problem though.
Well... It won't always work in some cases, but it works for what I need it for.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

cam94509 wrote:Derp, I suppose I phrased my question wrong. I meant as in "I have a block. I break the block with the BD. That block is now an item in the BD's inventory. Obviously, if I apply a red stone signal, out will pop... a block, which isn't terribly useful for transport or storage purposes. Is there a way to remove said blocks in item form from the BD without placing them as blocks in the world, or manually removing them"? (Sadly, due to title restrictions, what I actually meant was anything but clear.)
Edit: Thank you jonny_AB
By the way this is intentionally difficult/impossible. Turning a block to an item in an automated system is very powerful and FC thus places restrictions on it to keep things interesting.
Rianaru

Post by Rianaru »

Can't you break the BD holding the item with another BD to make it drop its entire inventory?
It's the trick that a lot of people use for unloading minecarts currently.
FlowerChild wrote: -----

A short while later:

FlowerChild: What is this pussy shit?
Foxy Boxes

Post by Foxy Boxes »

Rianaru wrote:It's the trick that a lot of people use for unloading minecarts currently.
Actually, IIRC, that's the specially coded mechanic that a lot of people use, and thus doesn't apply to BDs.
On the internet you can be whatever you want. It's surprising so many people choose to be stupid.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

LordOrmas wrote: edit: OR you could always use mining charges, if i'm not mistaken they transform every block in a 3x3 cube in front of them into their item form. But still, not much practical :P.
As far as I'm aware, this is the only way to do it. I'm assuming the OP wants a cobble/stone gen that outputs to a chest - there used to be ways of doing it, but they were removed simply because of the silly size the generators ended up being. Pretty sure we had one guy build a 50k/min one at some point...

but yeah. Only way to do it is to hit the BD with a mining charge, recycle the BD into a BD, place a new BD, repeat.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
LordOrmas

Post by LordOrmas »

Foxy Boxes wrote:
Rianaru wrote:It's the trick that a lot of people use for unloading minecarts currently.
Actually, IIRC, that's the specially coded mechanic that a lot of people use, and thus doesn't apply to BDs.
Yes, if you do that with a BD the inventory content will disappear, and when the second dispenser reposition the first one, it won't mantain the direction it was facing before.
Rianaru

Post by Rianaru »

My bad. I thought I remembered it working with BDs at some point, but I guess not.
FlowerChild wrote: -----

A short while later:

FlowerChild: What is this pussy shit?
LordOrmas

Post by LordOrmas »

Rianaru wrote:My bad. I thought I remembered it working with BDs at some point, but I guess not.
It probably was so, until FC noted that it was in fact too easy and removed that functionality.
Psion

Post by Psion »

Rianaru wrote:Can't you break the BD holding the item with another BD to make it drop its entire inventory?
It's the trick that a lot of people use for unloading minecarts currently.
i tried that a while back, and it just wiped the first BD's inventory. nothing spilled out. you can try it yourself, but id advise against putting anything valuable inside when testing. ;x
Caboose

Post by Caboose »

If I recall correctly, BDs used to drop their inventories like chests/chest carts do, but this was exploited to create ridiculously fast and efficient cobble/ice farms, and BDs were changed to delete their inventories when sucked into another BD in order to remove the exploit.