Hardcore sheep (spoilerish)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: Hardcore sheep (spoilerish)

Post by FlowerChild »

Mason11987 wrote:(brown+white=lime green)
Errrr...that might be a bug. Either that or you got one hell of a mutation.
xou816

Post by xou816 »

I haven't had the time to test out this, but reading FC's 1.3 playthrough gave me an idea...
What if FC allowed naturally dyed sheeps to spawn? Meaning blue ones, lime ones, etc. So they are valuable.
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

xou816 wrote:I haven't had the time to test out this, but reading FC's 1.3 playthrough gave me an idea...
What if FC allowed naturally dyed sheeps to spawn? Meaning blue ones, lime ones, etc. So they are valuable.
Thinly veiled suggestions don't do well here.
CycloneSP

Post by CycloneSP »

Hmmmmm, yes, okay. speculation: good. Ideas: bad. Acutally playing with the new features: ideal.

EDIT: dang ninja's
"So tell me, what's it like living in a constant haze of stupidity?" - Hiei

"Snow is not fire, so it can still rain." -Kaitocain
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

I wonder if brown + white = lime green being very odd means they fall something close to the dye recipes with a bit of mutation wiggle room. I will have to test this...
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

walker_boh_65 wrote: Thinly veiled suggestions don't do well here.
Especially when I already implemented them earlier in the day ;)
morvelaira wrote:I wonder if brown + white = lime green being very odd means they fall something close to the dye recipes with a bit of mutation wiggle room. I will have to test this...
Never have I seen folks have this much fun with sheep without wearing a kilt.
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

FlowerChild wrote:
Mason11987 wrote:(brown+white=lime green)
Errrr...that might be a bug. Either that or you got one hell of a mutation.
A few other results I got that I found particularly strange:

brown+brown= yellow
green+lime green = blue

I assumed they were mutations.
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

FlowerChild wrote:
walker_boh_65 wrote: Thinly veiled suggestions don't do well here.
Especially when I already implemented them earlier in the day ;)
Wait, you did? Is that is the release we have, or just yours?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Mason11987 wrote: A few other results I got that I found particularly strange:

brown+brown= yellow
green+lime green = blue

I assumed they were mutations.
Well, I'll do a quick pass on these combinations to make sure. I basically had to go through each of the possibilities by hand, so it's entirely possible I flubbed a few in there.

I've also put some more work into the system today, so things are going to be changing slightly with the next release.
xou816

Post by xou816 »

Walker... By idea I meant an idea on what hardcore sheep is. Why you guys are so aggressive when we say the word idea?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

walker_boh_65 wrote: Wait, you did? Is that is the release we have, or just yours?
Just mine. I made a few additional changes to the system after sleeping on it. Nothing that breaks anything in the current one, just a few more refinements.
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

xou816 wrote:Walker... By idea I meant an idea on what hardcore sheep is. Why you guys are so aggressive when we say the word idea?
Because you wanted a change to a system the FC just implemented today.
FlowerChild wrote:Just mine. I made a few additional changes to the system after sleeping on it. Nothing that breaks anything in the current one, just a few more refinements.
So we might get the 4 for 4?
Thordan Ssoa

Post by Thordan Ssoa »

Playing with this system is going to eat my days isn't it? As if BtW didn't eat enough of my productivity as is. Also, does this increase sheep spawning rates? I seem to have an extremely high ratio of sheep to other animals in my world. Somewhere around 5 sheep for 1 chicken, pig, or cow.
xou816 wrote:Walker... By idea I meant an idea on what hardcore sheep is. Why you guys are so aggressive when we say the word idea?
In context, it wasn't the best word to use.
FlowerChild wrote: Never have I seen folks have this much fun with sheep without wearing a kilt.
Also, LOL!
FlowerChild wrote:Never have I seen folks have this much fun with sheep without wearing a kilt.
FlowerChild wrote:you haven't seen a fight scene until you've seen one with horse schlongs swinging free
xou816

Post by xou816 »

walker_boh_65 wrote:
Have you even read my post? Just like everyone here I was trying to find out what hardcore sheep is
utakataJ6

Post by utakataJ6 »

Thordan Ssoa wrote:Playing with this system is going to eat my days isn't it? As if BtW didn't eat enough of my productivity as is. Also, does this increase sheep spawning rates? I seem to have an extremely high ratio of sheep to other animals in my world. Somewhere around 5 sheep for 1 chicken, pig, or cow.
In context, it wasn't the best word to use.
FlowerChild wrote: Never have I seen folks have this much fun with sheep without wearing a kilt.
Also, LOL!
Nah, that ratio already exists. Sheep dominate - I assume because even in vanilla their spawn rate was increased when they started spawning in multiple colors.
morvelaira:
Not all Minecraft players have stamped down the knee-jerk, lawful-good Superman reaction yet. We do hold a rather high proportion of the enlightened on these forums ;)
flowerchild:
Not to mention a mod that trains the player to be rather morally ambivalent ;)
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

walker_boh_65 wrote:
I think he meant he had a thought on how the system "did" work, not on how it "should" work, I mean, he wasn't really making a sugestion, he just made a poor choice of words...
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
xou816

Post by xou816 »

jorgebonafe wrote:
walker_boh_65 wrote:
I think he meant he had a thought on how the system "did" work, not on how it "should" work, I mean, he wasn't really making a sugestion, he just made a poor choice of words...
Exactly! Thank you jorgebonafe. English is not my primary language. And I did not have the time to check out if these features existed.
Twololcats

Post by Twololcats »

Calcifire3691 wrote:
Thordan Ssoa wrote:
Rianaru wrote:Would it be possible to breed in other characteristics than wool color?
What other characteristics do they have?
Shearing yield, health, hostile/peaceful/neutral, attack strength, speed of wool growth, carnivorous/hervivorous/omnivorous.

imagine the possibilities, we may be seeing in chat logs: <Player> cancels farming, killed by Sheep
*begins plotting gene sequence for high health, low yield, hostile, slow wool growing, carnivorous, white sheep* (just imagine unleashing that on the world, looks the same as a normal sheep, but is ridiculously powerful, nigh impossible to kill, and completely psychopathic, and after all of the trouble, the gain is just not worth it :D)
That is hilarious! I love it XD
It reminds me of forestry's bee breeding, except with sheep
Speaking of which maybe all animals could have certain traits or variables, that'd be interesting...
But great work fc, awesome new releases/features FTW
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

Found a weird mutation, guess I just got lucky. After breeding was must have been an easy 125+ pairs of pure white sheep, I single black baby popped out. This leads me to believe that, while not very practical at all, it might be possible to get all the colors of sheep from just a pair of white sheep.
Rianaru

Post by Rianaru »

Methinks one of your pure white sheep was having some fun on the side...
FlowerChild wrote: -----

A short while later:

FlowerChild: What is this pussy shit?
Itamarcu

Post by Itamarcu »

walker_boh_65 wrote:Found a weird mutation, guess I just got lucky. After breeding was must have been an easy 125+ pairs of pure white sheep, I single black baby popped out. This leads me to believe that, while not very practical at all, it might be possible to get all the colors of sheep from just a pair of white sheep.

I breeded ~50 sheep, and one was pink. So yeah, all colors of the spectrum.

...Well, unless you're one of those guys who say pink is not a color.
You know what you should read? Worm. Here you go: https://parahumans.wordpress.com/catego ... tion/1-01/
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Itamarcu wrote: I breeded ~50 sheep, and one was pink. So yeah, all colors of the spectrum.
Well, not exactly...at least not that easily.

Mutations are restricted to specific colors, and are usually fairly subtle. They WILL eventually provide you with all the basic tools you need to get a full range, but selective breeding will be required after that to get exactly what you want.

This was largely what was involved in the change I made to mutations in last night's release. Just a further refinement to require a little more thought on the part of the player, and less dependence on chance.
odranoel

Post by odranoel »

FlowerChild wrote:
Itamarcu wrote: I breeded ~50 sheep, and one was pink. So yeah, all colors of the spectrum.
Well, not exactly...at least not that easily.

Mutations are restricted to specific colors, and are usually fairly subtle. They WILL eventually provide you with all the basic tools you need to get a full range, but selective breeding will be required after that to get exactly what you want.

This was largely what was involved in the change I made to mutations in last night's release. Just a further refinement to require a little more thought on the part of the player, and less dependence on chance.

so if i understand this correctly, white sheep will only give use a few specific colors, and then we have to breed those few colored sheep with each other to eventually get the rest? in other words you CAN get the full spectrum from white sheep, but only when you breed their mutant children with eachother? so in other words, white sheep only gives you a limited few mutated babys (say only four fixed diff colors), but then those mutant babies can be breed with eachother to eventually provide all the rest of the colors? so you can end up with the full spectrum by starting off with just two original white sheep? (after tons of breeding of course)
Battlecat

Post by Battlecat »

odranoel wrote: so if i understand this correctly, white sheep will only give use a few specific colors, and then we have to breed those few colored sheep with each other to eventually get the rest? in other words you CAN get the full spectrum from white sheep, but only when you breed their mutant children with eachother? so in other words, white sheep only gives you a limited few mutated babys (say only four fixed diff colors), but then those mutant babies can be breed with eachother to eventually provide all the rest of the colors? so you can end up with the full spectrum from just two original white sheep? (after tons of breeding of course)
I think that would be exactly right. That's effectively how selective breeding works in reality as well. You breed the offspring that have the desired traits to enhance those traits in the next generation.

Have to say, the hardcore sheep are a brilliant idea FC, it's going to be a lot of fun sorting through these combinations.
Cuchonchuir

Post by Cuchonchuir »

This is deliciously, diabolically brilliant. I am already devising in my head a massive pen system to allow me to breed whatever color I wish . . . Man, my base is going to be getting so huge in order to accomodate this.