15625:1 Nether Portal (Possibly Fully Functional!)

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
Kwilt

15625:1 Nether Portal (Possibly Fully Functional!)

Post by Kwilt »

So, I'm a collector of some things. To some collectors, it's nice to have miniatures of what you collect. Me? Well... let's just say I like more bang-for-my-buck.

I was bored earlier today, and I decided that I was going to challenge myself: Build the world's largest to-scale Nether portal. That's 15625 blocks of obsidian per 1 normal block.

I'm about half an hour in, and I've already balls'd it up and have to remove 50 obsidian blocks. If you want to come hang out with me, I'm setting up my JustinTV/TwitchTV stream right now.

I will be posting pictures and videos later, when it's completed. If someone wouldn't mind setting up a server, I'd love to have people come visit when I'm done. But for right now, it's just going to be myself, TMI, and a shitload of obsidian, in game.

TwitchTV stream: twitch.tv/K_Wilt
Last edited by Kwilt on Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Image (<--------------- Click me to watch live!)
Kwilt

Re: 5:1 Nether Portal (Possibly Fully Functional!)

Post by Kwilt »

In case anybody is wondering how many blocks of obsidian you'd need to do this Vanilla, you'll need 218,750 obsidian, total. (I think. I might be doing my math wrong.)

BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

KWilt wrote:Build the world's largest to-scale Nether portal. That's 15625 blocks of obsidian per 1 normal block.
How exactly do you do this? I cant think of any way to make it bigger than the original size
Kwilt

Post by Kwilt »

BinoAl wrote:How exactly do you do this? I cant think of any way to make it bigger than the original size
Well, you just build it. :P

As for getting it to function, there are two ways. The first is using TMI to get the portals, then placing them. I've heard that portals break this way, though, so Plan B is just MCEditing them in. It has to be possible, as I've seen it done before. (Just that the portals weren't probably made by hand, and they were not the proper dimensions.

Kwilt

Post by Kwilt »

Turning off the feed for the moment. @_@

Severely underestimated the size of that thing. When I first started off, I was thinking 25 times bigger. I wasn't thinking 25 cubic times bigger.

So, for the time being, I'm getting some recoup and regroup of my brain cells.

For those wondering, I'm currently done with the bottom three layers of one half of the portal, and I have the frame and roof of that same half done as well.

PrivateAlpha

Re: 15625:1 Nether Portal (Possibly Fully Functional!)

Post by PrivateAlpha »

You know you can just re-scale it with mcedit?

oh look a portal:
Spoiler
Show
oh look a bigger portal:
Spoiler
Show
WTF:
Spoiler
Show
Its 120 high and properly scaled :P
As for getting the actaul protal blocks in... not without a mod you cant(I think)
Kwilt

Post by Kwilt »

PrivateAlpha wrote:You know you can just re-scale it with mcedit?
I could, except I'm doing this one by hand. :P

I want it to be as legit as possible. Of course, it's entirely necessary that I use TMI, unless I felt like going into the nether and getting all that obsidian after about ten or so trips.

BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

KWilt wrote:
PrivateAlpha wrote:You know you can just re-scale it with mcedit?
I could, except I'm doing this one by hand. :P

I want it to be as legit as possible. Of course, it's entirely necessary that I use TMI, unless I felt like going into the nether and getting all that obsidian after about ten or so trips.
10 Trips? You know you cant dump water in the nether, right? not legitly, anyway :p
Kwilt

Post by Kwilt »

BinoAl wrote:10 Trips? You know you cant dump water in the nether, right? not legitly, anyway :p
Bah. Balls then. See? It's nearly impossible.

Note to self: Stop making that mistake. I never spend enough time in the nether to really do anything. Just get my shit and get out. So it's not like I'm ever even using water there.

Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

you could always make the portal hollow - no-one would notice, right? then set up the inside as an incredible elaborate darkroom mobtrap for lulz.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Kwilt

Post by Kwilt »

Stormweaver wrote:you could always make the portal hollow - no-one would notice, right? then set up the inside as an incredible elaborate darkroom mobtrap for lulz.
I was contemplating that, but then I figured it'd be a cheap cop-out. So, I'm pouring in my blood and sweat for t3h lulz.

And on that note:

LIVESTREAM IS BACK ON. LINK IN THE OP.