Uses for Base-x BD setups

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Rianaru

Uses for Base-x BD setups

Post by Rianaru »

So, as most of you can tell, I'm bored at work again :D and FlowerChild mentioned a separate topic to discuss uses of base-whatever BD setups, so here goes my two cents.

If you have multiple smaller wheat farms, a base-x setup would allow you to trigger one of them at a time with a single timer, giving wheat in smaller amounts more often rather than a larger amount less often. The only use I can think of for this is breeding farms so far, since you could have lots of smaller farms that would be harvested every breeding cycle instead of using dispensers to give wheat to every single individual.

Round-robin storage system. Every time a group of items comes in, a different hopper would be opened through the use of inverted pistons. Applications include mass pottery turntables to multiple smaller kilns, one large wheat farm to several breeding towers, giving meat to your dung factory slaves equally, or just a cool way to equalize storage for the OCD. There was a suggestion a while ago about a round-robin transport pipe for BTB, but this provides the same functionality without adding new blocks or items.

Redstone computers, obviously. I don't know if anyone in the BTW community has the know-how to build one, but it would probably be much easier with this.

Adventure maps to make sure items are given in a specific order. Again, less applicable to most BTW players I would think.

A myriad of cool, aesthetic, and mostly non-functional designs. If you were able to connect it to a pulser that would burn out, but then not activate the pulser when you press a button to provide a pulse to the BD, you could randomize what block the BD will place next. Russian roulette? :D

Anyways that's all I've got for now, if anyone has any other ideas on this, I (and I assume most of the BTW community) would love to hear them :)
FlowerChild wrote: -----

A short while later:

FlowerChild: What is this pussy shit?
TheAnarchitect

Re: Uses for Base-x BD setups

Post by TheAnarchitect »

I think it's most useful for multi-phase timing for machines. I put together a base-3 computer for a tube kiln design a while ago that controlled how long it spent in each of 3 modes: feed, bake, and eject. It was simply a more compact version of Embirrim's kiln. So for a base-x machine, we'd be looking at a process that had X phases. It's especially useful if the different phases have different lengths.

I'm actually thinking it could be very useful for timing a self-constructing building, or a sequence of traps.

But inventing the computer and finding a use for it is putting the cart before the horse. What will happen is you'll have some other brilliant idea, and then realize you need a base-x computer to make it happen.
The infinitely extendable Pottery system
Real Life is an Anarchy Server.
Rianaru

Post by Rianaru »

I was mostly just curious to see if anyone had found uses for them. I'm using simpler redstone designs for my machines because the computer stuff starts to hurt my head after a bit -.- Now that some base-4 and up designs have been posted, I'll probably copy those and hook it up to a timer to harvest my modulated wheat farm so I don't have to deal with dispensers in my breeding farm, but I'm not sure I'd be up to designing one myself...

A short while later:

TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

The infinitely extendable Pottery system
Real Life is an Anarchy Server.
Rianaru

Post by Rianaru »

I remember seeing that a while ago. I tend to prefer simpler and smaller auto kilns since I usually have plenty of time to let them run while I go build other machines and get resources. It's a very good design though.

A short while later:

Siege Wizard

Post by Siege Wizard »

I was thinking on lifts, using base-x to store the floor where the lift actually is.
But as they are one-way-only counters, you would need to send x-1 pulses to go backwards so you first need to detect direction, and then send to a 1 pulse or a x-1 pulser, obviously inverting they input before the BD
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

I'm using my base-4 BD for my snow block farm :

Block = signal to the BD and pistons, producing snow balls (4 times)
Repeater = signal to the BD only, placing a snow block (via a NOR latch), to a sticky piston to remove the snow block, and to another BD to collect it
redstone = signal to reset the nor latch
simanick

Post by simanick »

while not vary useful you could split a mob trap by kill mechanism using one of these massive base BD setups.

state 1 = death by steve
state 2 = death by saw
state 3 = death by water
state 4 = death by fall
state 5 = death by lava
state 6 = death by skeleton on everything else murder.
state 7 = death by hibachi
state 8 = death by block suffocation
state 9 = ?

this is what i plan to do with mine. we will see if anything different comes of it
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

I'm thinking one of the simplest uses might be for a piston elevator/conveyor that triggers pistons in a specific order.
Rianaru

Post by Rianaru »

Going off of FlowerChilds piston idea would be to hook up detector blocks to one so that you can have a display that shows what floor the player is on. Mostly aesthetic, but still. And I think you could use two somehow to count the floors going both ways instead of just one.

A short while later:

simanick

Post by simanick »

FlowerChild wrote:I'm thinking one of the simplest uses might be for a piston elevator/conveyor that triggers pistons in a specific order.
with base 6 we get all cardinal directions so that is all we really need for a crazy Omni-directional elevator
Rianaru wrote:Going off of FlowerChilds piston idea would be to hook up detector blocks to one so that you can have a display that shows what floor the player is on. Mostly aesthetic, but still. And I think you could use two somehow to count the floors going both ways instead of just one.
the problem is as i recall subtraction will be painfull as we will need to cycle thought the whole BD inventory.
The great randomo

Post by The great randomo »

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4689&p=80505#p80505
My post is near the Bottom.
Chris Martin wrote:The morning is for sleeping.
Rianaru

Post by Rianaru »

simanick wrote:
FlowerChild wrote:
Rianaru wrote:Going off of FlowerChilds piston idea would be to hook up detector blocks to one so that you can have a display that shows what floor the player is on. Mostly aesthetic, but still. And I think you could use two somehow to count the floors going both ways instead of just one.
the problem is as i recall subtraction will be painfull as we will need to cycle thought the whole BD inventory.
Maybe a cycle of solid/non-solid blocks could be used to carry signal...
So have all the outputs lined up in a row and in order, and you could use a concept similar to a piston clock to cycle forwards and backwards, with all of them being half blocks except for a full block to mark the floor that the elevator is on. Sounds confusing, and maybe it's getting into the realm of the overly complicated, but ill try to make a few pictures detailing what I mean sometime this weekend. This may or may not be even possible, but if it is, then it would be one helluva sexy elevator system ;)

A short while later:

FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Oooo...just came up with a "use" for this thing: BD-based drum machine.

I'm so rigging that up tomorrow :)
Shady

Post by Shady »

FlowerChild wrote:Oooo...just came up with a "use" for this thing: BD-based drum machine.

Random idea involving music...I like it.
Last edited by Shady on Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FlowerChild wrote: Maybe the looting organ happens to fly right in his face as his battle-axe cleaves a villager in two, and causes him to scream "Eureka!".
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

FlowerChild wrote:Oooo...just came up with a "use" for this thing: BD-based drum machine.

Sort of like a MIDI sequencer in minecraft, using the BD as an editable .midi?
Fucking awesome :)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

BinoAl wrote: Sort of like a MIDI sequencer in minecraft, using the BD as an editable .midi?
Hehe...yeah, that's exactly what I was thinking. Different blocks in the BD would act as different notes. It's unfortunate that a "song" would be limited to 16 time intervals, but at the same time, I figure it would still give you a couple of bars using 1/8th notes, which might make for a decent beat ;)
Shady

Post by Shady »

FlowerChild wrote: Hehe...yeah, that's exactly what I was thinking. Different blocks in the BD would act as different notes. It's unfortunate that a "song" would be limited to 16 time intervals, but at the same time, I figure it would still give you a couple of bars using 1/8th notes, which might make for a decent beat ;)
You could have several BD's with repeaters in between, and when one finished, the next one could trigger and keep the beat going.
FlowerChild wrote: Maybe the looting organ happens to fly right in his face as his battle-axe cleaves a villager in two, and causes him to scream "Eureka!".
Graphite

Post by Graphite »

FlowerChild wrote:...that a "song" would be limited to 16 time intervals...
Can't setup some kind of loop that causes one BD to affect another? It might make somewhat more 'organic' music if you make it random enough. Heck, toss in a pig on a pressure-plate to make it truly random :P
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Graphite wrote:
FlowerChild wrote:...that a "song" would be limited to 16 time intervals...
Can't setup some kind of loop that causes one BD to affect another? It might make somewhat more 'organic' music if you make it random enough. Heck, toss in a pig on a pressure-plate to make it truly random :P
Yup, I'm sure it's possible, but it complicates it over using a single interface to setup your "song", as you'd then have to go from BD to BD placing the notes, and would really have to understand how the device works in order to use it.

Anyways, was just thinking it would be kinda cool to have a sequencer in MC. The easier it is to use once built, the cooler it is :)
FaceFoiled

Post by FaceFoiled »

FlowerChild wrote:I'm thinking one of the simplest uses might be for a piston elevator/conveyor that triggers pistons in a specific order.
But why use a piston elevator when we have actual elevators? :P The coolest thing I ever build was my timed upwards item elevator to bring wood into block dispensers for a saw factory. All I had to do was dump the wood in a little water stream.
Ferrus.Manus

Post by Ferrus.Manus »

FaceFoiled wrote:But why use a piston elevator when we have actual elevators? :P The coolest thing I ever build was my timed upwards item elevator to bring wood into block dispensers for a saw factory. All I had to do was dump the wood in a little water stream.
Because they are really slow. BtW elevators are great for vertical item (and XP/dragon orb) transport but they are bit meh as actual elevators.
FaceFoiled

Post by FaceFoiled »

Ferrus.Manus wrote:Because they are really slow. BtW elevators are great for vertical item (and XP/dragon orb) transport but they are bit meh as actual elevators.
Yeah I suppose it would be faster to use other methods of going up. I'm a patient person though, and usually get quite the "fuck yeah, I build this!" feeling when using a cool elevator :D. I enjoy the rides :P
Ferrus.Manus

Post by Ferrus.Manus »

Oh, another idea (not really practical though, especially in SSP) - combination lock.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

I just used a quick base 4 setup attached to a day/night sensor to count off lunar phases to make this display deep underground. Not really all that useful but it was a fun project.
Spoiler
Show
Better is the enemy of Good