Town build

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
JWA

Town build

Post by JWA »

This is my humble fortress. For the bulk of the structure, the stone and such, I did use an item editor. My last two castle worlds were almost as big and built from scratch, but I have very specific ideas for this one so I wanted to get the bulk out of the way before resuming normal play. Plus my time is limited now so I'd like to finish it sometime this year.

I've only fleshed out about five levels, over maybe half of the hillside. I plan to use it all. I've only more or less finished a small portion of one level, which is where the lights and stuff are. I'm currently installing btw tech, but in these screenshots the dirt areas are where elevators will be. What do you think? I'll try to get a video up later for an actual tour.
Spoiler
Show
hanger bay with vehicle storage below.
moat with draw bridge
wall with elevator that is the only way to get through.
plenty of boobytraps
entire superstructure is lined with obsidian
integrated lighting
well over 100 rooms
Last edited by JWA on Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:30 pm, edited 4 times in total.
BinoAl

Re: Citadel build

Post by BinoAl »

Haha, thats pretty sweet, man. I thought my 30x30, 4 story fortress was cool... Way to ruin that for me :p
JWA

Re: Citadel build-need help with elevator/detector blocks

Post by JWA »

lol I'm sorry man...well I'm sure yours is quality over quantity anyway. That and you'll finish it before getting grey hairs.

So I've got a problem guys. I've got my elevators all set up, but when I turned them on they raised all the way to the ceiling rather than stopping at my level. Of course. So I tried to use a detector block with the intention of it stopping the platform at my level. But the best I can get it to do is for the platform to raise to the top, bounce back down to the detector then back up.

I've got the detector block wired to intercept between the gear box and lever, but I feel I'm missing something crucial. Anyone actually built this setup that could give me some advice?
Verloren

Post by Verloren »

Wire the detector block to the pulley block - it should act as a brake instead shutting down the gear box (causes you to go up and down).
JWA

Post by JWA »

Hehe, I made a toy that goes boom. The auto miner is simple; a block dispenser releases tnt into an empty space, next to which a hibachi sits. Put all this on a platform high enough that the initial blast won't reach you, and you can reach bedrock with an elevator sized shaft in less than a minute ;) I was gonna automate it, but it was so quick theres not much point. Plus I like pressing the button, but I wish it was red...
Rasuth

Re: Citadel build - auto miner

Post by Rasuth »

Ahhhhh.
The joy of blowing up some stuff :)

Sick castle by the way.
TaterBoy wrote:Well, now I know. And as GI-Joe says, knowing is half the battle. :)
The other half is violence.
Unless you're GI Socrates. Then the other half is "You don't know anything
- TheAnarchitect
Riveter

Post by Riveter »

I laughed when I realized you put a sizable gap between the launcher and the button.
That auto miner will come in handy! I wasn't looking forward to hand-mining out the three elevator shafts I need. It should be easy enough to hook it up to a timer and have a fully automated mining machine.
JWA

Post by JWA »

Ima buildin my castle and raisin my army!
Spoiler
Show
JWA

Post by JWA »

Spoiler
Show
magikeh

Post by magikeh »

Holy Crap man ... Big Enough??!! thats pretty awesome!! Congrats \o/
Magical Shit
Show
Syruse|Work: i like magic shit
MagikEh: ...
MagikEh: >.>
MagikEh: <.<
»» MagikEh walks to the bathroom
Syruse|Work: hahaaaaaaaaa
Syruse|Work: wait
MagikEh: xD
Syruse|Work: fuck
Syruse|Work: NO
Syruse|Work: DONT
Fracture

Post by Fracture »

The natural style gives it a neat look, albeit one I'm not accustomed to. I always build things out of at least partially refined materials, mainly for the purpose of seperating them from the landscape at a distance, since I have, on several occasions, lost castles before...
Abracadabra, you're an idiot.
JWA

Post by JWA »

Well I certainly hear you on that one! My last build, I built a giant tower of lava that could be seen from very far away, after I'd wandered for a day or two irl trying to get back to my castle. It was mostly cobblestone since I wasn't using any editor, but it was about this big and so got annoying to my eyes. I'm very ocd(read anal retentive) so I wanted it to look the same before I started making changes. When I put up the download you will understand how much so cuz I made all the hallways and rooms line up. In some of the finished areas theres alot of wood and brick though, and I'll be adding alot of decoration to the outside as well.

I know this mod isn't for decrorative features but besides seconding the motion for baby seal mobs(I've got my club ready!), I'd like to suggest a wolf pelt that can be used as a rug or something. The area in front of my fire place is a bit bare...
Camerinthus

Post by Camerinthus »

I don't know if you can call that a humble fortress, that's pretty fantastic. I've tried to build stuff that big, but it never got any farther than carving out a little bit of rock. :P
IGN: Camerinthus
JWA

Post by JWA »

I've been taking a break from my build to play on multiplayer. A friend from the forum of another game was kind enough to set up a server for anyone on that game who plays minecraft. People have built some crazy stuff but I've mainly been working on this town; Bandar. Still got a lot to do and its taking longer because we switched to mostly legit play, but I'm really hoping it will go public once the server is stabilized so some of you guys can join us. I get chills thinking about what BTW could do in this town. More pix as I take them...
JWA

Re: Town build

Post by JWA »

Server should now be open. They are still ironing out the kinks but more people would be awesome. If you do log in and theres no one there to whitelist you, just lemme know. Hope to see ya in there!
minecraft.jbud.org
We just got dynamap so you can see what its like.
http://minecraft.jbud.org/#

*edit* hmm, been awhile since I visited the forum. On second thought, would it be more appropriate for a mod to move this to off topic?
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

can i be put i the white list, wont be on til tomorrow though
screally

Post by screally »

I'd like to help with this too if possible :)
JWA

Post by JWA »

k that should be fun! Are these the usernames you have for minecraft?
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

mine is the same
Camerinthus

Post by Camerinthus »

Can I get whitelisted? Same username.
IGN: Camerinthus
JWA

Post by JWA »

Should be done, see ya in there guys!
screally

Post by screally »

Yes, same username as this
Neon00

Post by Neon00 »

JWA wrote:lol I'm sorry man...well I'm sure yours is quality over quantity anyway. That and you'll finish it before getting grey hairs.

So I've got a problem guys. I've got my elevators all set up, but when I turned them on they raised all the way to the ceiling rather than stopping at my level. Of course. So I tried to use a detector block with the intention of it stopping the platform at my level. But the best I can get it to do is for the platform to raise to the top, bounce back down to the detector then back up.

I've got the detector block wired to intercept between the gear box and lever, but I feel I'm missing something crucial. Anyone actually built this setup that could give me some advice?
The best solution i can think of is making it go to the second floor, walkway, another elevator to the 3rd, etc for each floor. Pretty much in a diagram is LOWER ELEVATOR -> WALKWAY -> HIGHER ELEVATOR but every OTHER floor you would do HIGHER ELEVATOR -> WALKWAY -> LOWER ELEVATOR! Hope I helped!
JWA

Post by JWA »

Some updated building shots for town. I've been spending most of my time on the airship and the castle in town. You guys should come visit us, this is just the stuff I built but theres some amazing things elsewhere on the server.