Lord of The Rings

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
FurkeyRefills

Re: Lord of The Rings

Post by FurkeyRefills »

Thankyou for that link, really gonna try to stick to this :)
Oh, and why are female LotR fans so rare ? Or is it just England ?
FlowerChild wrote:I've made another decision... Fuck being a plug-in.
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

I can't tell you for certain, but I do know that a majority of the people I play with in LOTRO who are lore-fiends like myself are women. Perhaps you just aren't looking in the right places.
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
FurkeyRefills

Post by FurkeyRefills »

Perhaps, I only know 2 girls in my school that know some of the deeper lore, stuff like the Istari and Tom bombadil and things like that...
FlowerChild wrote:I've made another decision... Fuck being a plug-in.
Gargantuan_Penguin

Post by Gargantuan_Penguin »

I honestly don't know very many people who know the lore. but the ones who know the most are two girls. One is my sister, who inducted me into it long ago, and a girl who goes to the same church that I do.
And HOW!
crazybrit

Post by crazybrit »

When I read Silmarillion it felt like I was reading the bible. Or was it the other way around?
Failure to prepare is preparing to fail.
Gargantuan_Penguin

crazybrit wrote:When I read Silmarillion it felt like I was reading the bible. Or was it the other way around?
It was a grand history type of thing, which is similar to much of the bible so that is totally understandable.
And HOW!
crazybrit

Post by crazybrit »

Gargantuan_Penguin wrote:
crazybrit wrote:When I read Silmarillion it felt like I was reading the bible. Or was it the other way around?
It was a grand history type of thing, which is similar to much of the bible so that is totally understandable.
I think I'll pick it up again after I finish A Dance with Dragons
LJEKadeshi

Post by LJEKadeshi »

crazybrit wrote:
Gargantuan_Penguin wrote:
I think I'll pick it up again after I finish A Dance with Dragons
Please do not mention that particular series on my LotR thread, I am trying to concentrate on picking up more lore, NOT go back and reread those books again.
crazybrit

Post by crazybrit »

easy bro... the series that shall not be named won't bother you on your thread again =]
Rianaru

Post by Rianaru »

If you guys remember from Ainulindale, Eru Illuvatar created the Ainur (Valar and Maiar, although the Maiar are still technically Valar, the only distinction being that they are less powerful), and had them perform three iterations of his theme in song form. The third iteration was turned by Eru into Ea in general and Arda in particular, which the Ainur immediately fell in love with. A great deal of them were transferred from outside time into Arda, where they either took on identities (gender, familial connections, etc.) or strengthened the ones that were created by Eru when the Ainur were created. The writing isn't completely clear on this as I remember. It is entirely possible that FlowerChild is related to either Melkor(Morgoth, for those of you who only read material after the exile of the Noldor and the theft of the Silmarils), or Sauron. Sauron is far more likely however, as he was extremely adept at trickery, deceipt, and all manners of malicious planning. Similar to FlowerChild. Morgoth was extremely powerful(at one point could withstand the might of all of the other Valar at the same time and possibly win), but lacked the subtelty of Sauron, who made most of his plans from Utumno, Angband, and Thangrorodrim work out. Alternatively, FlowerChild could be a co-worker of sorts with Sauron, working under Aule the Smith, which would again explain FlowerChilds genius. This also fits with him being from beyond the stars ;)

'Nuff said.

EDIT: sorry for necro. didn't even realize it until way after I replied -.-
FlowerChild wrote: -----

A short while later:

FlowerChild: What is this pussy shit?
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

Firstly, a post where you contribute significantly to the conversation is never a necro. ;)

If we're really going to compare FC to LOTR characters, though, you can't leave out Tom Bombadil - the enigma. Similarities do not relationships make, is all I will say otherwise on the subject. ;)
Rianaru

Post by Rianaru »

morvelaira wrote:Firstly, a post where you contribute significantly to the conversation is never a necro. ;)

If we're really going to compare FC to LOTR characters, though, you can't leave out Tom Bombadil - the enigma. Similarities do not relationships make, is all I will say otherwise on the subject. ;)
It's kind of interesting in LotR though, as it seems that the brothers and sisters (and to some extent, husbands and wives) among the Ainur seem to have similar/overlapping/complimenting fields of power. See Yavanna and Mandos(Life and Death, respectively, I think). Tom Bombadil, however, seems unlikely, as he is shown to be benevolent in his poems and less significantly in his cameo in The Fellowship of the Ring. More about living as one with nature instead of harvesting its souls, and all that. I definitely appreciate the scene of him playing with the One Ring though xD

There are also some pretty significant hints about him being Tulkas(Vala of the hunt if I'm not mistaken), and the Tolkein Society seems to think that it is a very likely identity for him as well.

A short while later:

morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

Rianaru wrote:There are also some pretty significant hints about him being Tulkas(Vala of the hunt if I'm not mistaken), and the Tolkein Society seems to think that it is a very likely identity for him as well.
Honestly, I go with the explanation that the Professor himself gave - Tom Bombadil is the /intentional/ enigma. The thing Tolkein realized, even though he was creating a history, sometimes you just have to leave the explaination at "a Wizard did it" and move on. If I had to pick, though, Tom Bombabil as an incarnation of Eru Illuvitaur himself has always been my favorite.
Rianaru

Post by Rianaru »

That's my other favorite identity for him :) although I would have to say I like Tulkas more, since he's kind of a badass, whereas Eru Illuvatar is the all-powerful creator of everything. He also was supposed to leave Ea to the Ainur, but since he's all-powerful, he can do whatever he damn well pleases, including changing his mind. If Bombadil is Eru, it would give us some clues as to his personality, which I definitely like.

A short while later:

FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

I will take this opportunity to once again point out that I hate Tolkien.

That is all :)
Ulfengaard

Post by Ulfengaard »

Somewhere, a dwarf just died...
Awfulcopter wrote:...nothing says harmony with nature better than leaves that bleed. AMIRITE?
dawnraider wrote:I think we need to stop asking how stupid people can be. I think they're starting to take it as a challenge :)
Rianaru

Post by Rianaru »

*GASP!*

A short while later:

morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

Well, if Tom is Eru, then he still is leaving Arda to the Ainur. Within the bounds of the Forest, Tom is the Master, but beyond the bounds he is nothing special, after all.
Rianaru

Post by Rianaru »

Unless that particular bit of forest is a dimensional plane thats separate from the rest of Arda, I would still think it counts as interfering. Which is a moot point of course, since he can still change his mind about being a part of Arda, and I assume he can exempt himself from being tied to the fate of Ea like the Ainur, so he would still be all-powerful and such stuff.

A short while later:

morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

FlowerChild wrote:I will take this opportunity to once again point out that I hate Tolkien.

That is all :)
That's fine dear. Aside from the odd Gandalf joke, I'm being good and restricting my nerdgasming to this thread. Deal with it. :P <3
Rianaru

Post by Rianaru »

morvelaira wrote:
TheHoboHunted wrote:Today I learned Gandalf was a Maiar...

This brings me much happy.
Specifically, he was an Istari - a caste of the Maiar of which only the five Wizards were known to belong to. *pushes up nerd glasses*
Hey, Morv,

What do you think about the success of Glorfindel as the predecessor to the Istari?

A short while later:

morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

Honestly I haven't read up on that particular aspect of things so much so I can't offer an opinion.
Rianaru

Post by Rianaru »

I highly recommend it. Especially considering that he took on a balrog single-handedly after the fall of Gondolin. Unfortunately, his role was replaced with Arwen in the movies, but in the books he pushed the Black Riders back from the borders of Imladris, and had a fairly epic appearance when Frodo was tripping on Morgul blade stab wounds. I also really like Gandalf's explanation. It's gotta be one of my favorite lines from the books. 'Those who have dwelt in the light of the two trees exist in both worlds at once, and against both the seen and unseen they have great power.' I may have mangled the wording a bit, but its suitably epic for Tolkein ^.^

A short while later:

morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

Oh, that's what you meant. I didn't know quite what you were asking when you said 'the success' of Glorfindel as the Istari predecessor. I get it now.

But yeah. Glorfindel was the original Middle Earth BAMF.
Gargantuan_Penguin

FlowerChild wrote:I will take this opportunity to once again point out that I hate Tolkien.
ok, I am *extremely* curious as to why that is. Care to share?
And HOW!