Meet the Pyro

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
Biohazard91X

Meet the Pyro

Post by Biohazard91X »

For any fellow TF2 players!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUhOnX8qt3I

Niyu

Re: Meet the Pyro

Post by Niyu »

Valve as great as ever when making videos.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Hehe...pretty good :)
Itamarcu

Post by Itamarcu »

Yup, it's my favorite so far!

By the way, teamfortress.com is totally overloaded. Don't bother trying to find the new update.
You know what you should read? Worm. Here you go: https://parahumans.wordpress.com/catego ... tion/1-01/
Katalliaan

Post by Katalliaan »

Yeah, that about fits what I expected from the Pyro.
Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
Not now stupid - in case of fire
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

A few of the new weapons look interesting, but I feel like valve has trouble coming up with new weapon ideas lately. There's already so damn many in the game, you can't blame 'em...
Horizon

Post by Horizon »

I wonder how much acid Pyro's on...
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
kregoth

Post by kregoth »

Best Meet The ___ video ever! I laughed my ass off it totally fit Pyro's character.
FlowerChild wrote:My theory is that stupidity acts like an infectious organism on the net. Unless it's regularly pruned from your "garden", it will inevitably overwhelm it and kill off everything else.
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

I thought this one was funny, but Meet the Sniper is still my favorite :)
Derzuel

Post by Derzuel »

kregoth wrote:Best Meet The ___ video ever! I laughed my ass off it totally fit Pyro's character.
I know, and considering how much controversy surrounds the the Pyro I think Valve put together a brilliant video for it.
I mean on one hand they paint it as pyro-maniacal monstrosity that revels in murder and unwonted destruction, and then they paint it as an highly unstable but very innocent being who is merely trying to spread goodness to the world. All the while they never answer the question of what gender it is, or even if it is human at all.

I think Valve is like CCP when it comes to making vids for their game in that they make vids that are just as great as their game if not better.

I also think that if either Valve or CCP were to make a movie they could definitely give Pixar a run for their money.
Sajuuk

Post by Sajuuk »

Now I understand, after all this time.
[ IGN = Herpingderp ]
Dextralus

Post by Dextralus »

It's been a long damn wait for me. I main pyro and I was worried that my attachment to the class would mean that I'd never be able to forgive any real or perceived flaw before MtP was released. Although I was initially somewhat skeptical and unsure, it seems to be a rather rapidly aging wine for me and I've come to have only a few criticisms.

Part of the trouble lies in that, unlike other highly-speculated meet-the-team videos (such as Spy or Medic), the community had more-or-less puzzled out the main elements and plot of the short. Interviewing other team members was a solid if predictable way to get around the limitation inherent in a character who mumbles indistinctly through a mask, and various versions of the pyroworld hypothesis had been kicked around for years. Having said that it was well-executed and I'm glad that they did release SFM, though I haven't the skill to use it. The closing scene was great and there were many small details that worked together well to keep the pyro very frightening alongside the pyroworld sections. One such detail is the pilot light, which has a quite unsettling sound (around 0:35) much like a scream.

As far as any flaws in the video, there are a handful of pacing and logic issues that, really, are pretty small. The heavy should have paused for a beat after "I fear no man", and the medic's "No" was definitely effective but, I feel, insufficiently frightened. It seems odd that the fastest class has slower reactions than the engineer, but perhaps that's just panic. Pyro also seems to have two fire-axes on hand in addition to the axtinguisher, but given all the other things I've left out it's hard to say why that break from reality doesn't quite sit. The pyro's acrobatics are cute in the pyroworld but seem out of place in the real world (axing the heavy) as this kind of vertical movement is not something the class really does in-game.

Probably the biggest issue to me is that the pyro/spy antagonism was only approached from one direction. This is odd as that relationship seems to be one of the pyro's most widely-known traits outside of being a inscrutable menace, and for it to be seen only through the spy's perspective in the pyro's video leaves a feeling of incompleteness. Having the pyro torch the blue spy in a real-world flashback during the long pyroworld sequence towards the end of the video may have remedied this - what better way than a friendly game of hide-and-seek? But I digress, it was a great short!

I'm really hoping pyro gets some good weapons out of this update though. I'll confess I've found the items revealed so far to be a bit lacklustre...
blithen

Post by blithen »

I think I'm the only one in the world that is completely satisfied with everything this update has brought. The Short, the new items everything.
The only part I hate is the soldier got another weapon when other classes NEED more.
Add me on MSN Messenger, we can chat about our feelings and coffee and minecraft.
lostone1993

Post by lostone1993 »

best meet the vid yet :D
Under many names
lost-one
Spoiler
Show
My Youtube
My WIP Fan Mission for SS2(youtube)
ThatOneDude

Post by ThatOneDude »

My favorite is still the medic.
"Oh, don't worry, ribs grow back!"
"(No they don't")
Quality comes before quantity.
embirrim

Post by embirrim »

Hm, not exactly what I was expecting tbh. I wanted a little more backstory, this was surprising but still very funny. My favourite is still the engi. It is one of my least played classes in tf2 but my 2nd favourite in terms of personality. The guy is just... cool. "We get......more gun." I like him. Favourite character is still the scout, his taunts are by far te most entertaining. I always crack up whenever "It's like I'm watching you fly in slow motion through the windshield" comes around. Specially if it is a camping sniper. Specially if he has the cozy camper. And no hat -.-'
SgtChuckle

Post by SgtChuckle »

There are so many people playing as Pyros this week, it's goddamn impossible to play as a Spy, which is my specialty, but I'm mowing them down as a Sniper. God, so many easy kills. People just try to walk down streets imitating the video... 'till I fill the empty space between their ears with a bullet apiece.
Poppycocks wrote:Suggesting to hack the logo on all sides is akin to suggesting someone to take a crap out of a window if he doesn't like his toilet seat.
Ulfengaard

Post by Ulfengaard »

I had hoped for an identity, but I know that's too much to ask. However, my bet is on the Director.
Awfulcopter wrote:...nothing says harmony with nature better than leaves that bleed. AMIRITE?
dawnraider wrote:I think we need to stop asking how stupid people can be. I think they're starting to take it as a challenge :)