Stackable Potions: Overpowered?

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
RaustBlackDragon

Stackable Potions: Overpowered?

Post by RaustBlackDragon »

I just recently got into serious potion brewing for the first time since potions became stackable, and I'm a little concerned that it might be overpowered.

I feel that potions were made non-stackable for the same reason that food was originally: they make survival a total non-issue if you can get a large number of them in one slot on your quickbar. ...Well, that, and because apparently it was thought to be impossible in the case of potions, but I think that regardless, keeping potions non-stackable was a good idea.

Once you get a decent supply of potion materials going, it pretty much becomes impossible for you to die. For some of them, they're not really useful unless you can stack them, but for things like healing potions, this change makes them pretty overpowered. It reminds me of my issue with RPGs that let you buy stacks of 99 healing potions and ethers to take into a dungeon; it pretty much eliminates the need for pacing, supply management, etc.

What about you guys? What's your experience been with stackable potions?
What's the price of freedom now?
Can you cut me a deal?
A crate of wholesale liberty,
or a justice combo meal?
Sarudak
Site Admin

Re: Stackable Potions: Overpowered?

Post by Sarudak »

I already find it pretty much impossible to die. The only potion that *maybe* shouldn't be stackable is the instant health potion. But the others are too weak if they can't stack (except fire resist that is invaluable regardless of stackability).
Heilkaiba

Post by Heilkaiba »

Personally I find combat in minecraft to be a non-issue anyway. I only die to unavoidable creeper sneak attacks or falling into lava neither of which can really be solved with health potions. The stacking however is very useful for swiftness potions.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Also I think the splash potions are stackable in vanilla so you would need to nerf vanilla to prevent the problem you're talking about... :P
RaustBlackDragon

No, splash potions aren't stackable in vanilla, I just checked the code.
Can you cut me a deal?
or a justice combo meal?
Itamarcu

Post by Itamarcu »

I don't think so. I only started using potions because of that feature, actually.
Remember: Stackability wasn't the only thing added to foods. There was also the time it took you to eat.
Previously, you could fall down a lava lake, and just right-click constantly until you are out.
Now, it takes time to eat. It isn't an instaclick anymore.
Potions are just the same, why shouldn't they stack too?
You know what you should read? Worm. Here you go: https://parahumans.wordpress.com/catego ... tion/1-01/
RaustBlackDragon

Itamarcu wrote:I don't think so. I only started using potions because of that feature, actually.
Remember: Stackability wasn't the only thing added to foods. There was also the time it took you to eat.
Previously, you could fall down a lava lake, and just right-click constantly until you are out.
Now, it takes time to eat. It isn't an instaclick anymore.
Potions are just the same, why shouldn't they stack too?
Because they aren't something you need to constantly scarf down normally, like food, and their utility per individual unit is significantly higher than food as well.
Can you cut me a deal?
or a justice combo meal?
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Honestly though if they stopped stacking I would never use them. (Except the fire resist). I'm not sure what that says about them being op as they are.
RaustBlackDragon

Sarudak wrote:Honestly though if they stopped stacking I would never use them. (Except the fire resist). I'm not sure what that says about them being op as they are.
You don't notice it because in vanilla play, armor is way overpowered, and the difference between one overpowered safety net and two isn't that noticeable. However, it's highly noticeable when in a situation where your armor isn't a guarantee of survival, as that goes from no overpowered safety nets to two. The number of such situations in vanilla is limited, but seeing as difficulty is becoming a concern, I thought I'd open this up for discussion, because it hasn't really been brought up much on the forums.
Can you cut me a deal?
or a justice combo meal?
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

What about simply nerfing how much health potions heal?
RaustBlackDragon

Sarudak wrote:What about simply nerfing how much health potions heal?
I don't think that's as simple as it sounds, and FC's already stated that he doesn't wish to mess with the core potion code for any reason, because it has its appendages in so many other classes and is a bit of a mess to boot.
Can you cut me a deal?
or a justice combo meal?
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

It seems like you would be happy if the stack size was reduced perhaps?
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Hum. Can you tell me about a specific instance where you feel that the potions were providing you with too much power. I think if you're going to talk about what's OP and what's balanced you need to do it from the context of what's already in the game. So to say you don't notice how OP one thing is because there's this other thing that is even more OP isn't really that meaningful. THat other more OP thing needs to be addressed first. You talk about a situation where armor doesn't do you any good. What situation would that be?
RaustBlackDragon

Sarudak wrote:Hum. Can you tell me about a specific instance where you feel that the potions were providing you with too much power. I think if you're going to talk about what's OP and what's balanced you need to do it from the context of what's already in the game. So to say you don't notice how OP one thing is because there's this other thing that is even more OP isn't really that meaningful. THat other more OP thing needs to be addressed first. You talk about a situation where armor doesn't do you any good. What situation would that be?
You know what, I think I'm going to drop this, I'm worried it is sliding into suggestion territory, and I've been asked to chill out on that front for a while.
Can you cut me a deal?
or a justice combo meal?
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

It was in suggestion territory from the beginning... :P
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

RaustBlackDragon wrote: You know what, I think I'm going to drop this, I'm worried it is sliding into suggestion territory, and I've been asked to chill out on that front for a while.
Come on man, don't abandon your thread ;p
I don't know about the potions you actually have to drink, but stackable splash potions are pretty overpowered. A stack of healing splash potions can heal you instantly, without the drinking time
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Ture. It would also kill any skeles and zombies around you. Something of a get out of jail free card. Not that I've ever really had any problem with skeles and zombies once I got armor.
King Of Midgard
Location: Montgomery St., Chicopee, Massachusetts, United States of America

Post by King Of Midgard »

Wearing a set of low enchant-no enchant leather armor can easily offer enough protection to make zombies/skeleys no prob to kill. And Iron/Diamond armor? If you have a set of iron armor on wiht protection2 on 1 piece, prjectile protection 2 on 1 piece, and blast protection 2 on the other 2 pieces, you have no problems with most basic mobs. If just 32 mobs and some minor murdering at your pig farm gives you such power, then I agree, it is OP. Then the potion problem. He was pointing out that it is a bit over powered if you can have 3 stacks of healing potions and fire resist potions in your hotbar. You dont really notice how much potions do for you when you have the armour on as you rarely use them. But without the armour, you can survive the almost the same amount of beatings wiht just pots. Splash pots of heal AND damage? Nothing will ever get near you. So decide, based on what I said, whether or not pots/armor is OP.
This is not a signature. It's an epitaph.