[Solved] BTW 3.70 Crash

If you're having problems with your installation of Better Than Wolves, or if you've woken up in the future and are beginning to doubt the nature of reality, here's the place to post about it.
HighMongrel

[Solved] BTW 3.70 Crash

Post by HighMongrel »

I've run into a bit of a problem while attempting to update to BTW 3.70. That being that it crashes my main world. I use quite a few mods including BTB so after a few attempts I tried uninstalling all of them and going with a clean install of BTW and BTB only (with the prerequisite modloader of course). This was working fine until I approached my current base of operations at which point it gave me an odd, light gray loading chunks screen and crashed. After circumventing 3 other crashes I'm at a bit of a loss for this one, and would appreciate any help you could give.

A download of my world can be found here in case it helps. The link is a bit old, though all I've added is a reed farm in a space hollowed out underneath my giant platform so that shouldn't effect anything.

I've invested quite a bit of resources into buildcraft stuff so it would be a shame to have to lose along with my other mod stuff to continue updating alongside BTW.
Last edited by HighMongrel on Thu May 31, 2012 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: BTW 3.70 Crash

Post by FlowerChild »

Just to confirm: You installed BTB *after* BTW correct? You also reinstalled it on top again after installing the new release of BTW?

Also, are you getting the same crash with the previous version of BTW if you load up the same world?

I'm trying to narrow down the possibilities here as they are just too broad for me to even know where to begin looking. I *highly* doubt it's related to the new release however. I think it is much more likely it is something else that has gone unnoticed up until this point.

Also, this is sounding eerily reminiscent of the problems RenEvo has been running into as of late (and this was before the 3.7 release), so I'm definitely taking it seriously.
HighMongrel

Post by HighMongrel »

Yep, BTB after BTW. I'm also only getting the crash with the newest version of BTW, when I revert back it plays fine. In addition, I've tested making another world and it ran fine even with all the other mods I have installed. It seems to only be crashing in my main world, though it did crash in my test world near my lighthouse until I destroyed it. It didn't really make sense though as the lighthouse only uses redstone and BTW blocks.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

HighMongrel wrote:Yep, BTB after BTW. I'm also only getting the crash with the newest version of BTW, when I revert back it plays fine. In addition, I've tested making another world and it ran fine even with all the other mods I have installed. It seems to only be crashing in my main world, though it did crash in my test world near my lighthouse until I destroyed it. It didn't really make sense though as the lighthouse only uses redstone and BTW blocks.
I realize this will delete all the BTB blocks, but just for testing purposes, can you try installing *just* BTW and see if you get the same crash?
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

HighMongrel wrote:all the other mods I have installed.
Care to share what those might be? Cause that might be your issue right there, because (i believe) FC edited more base classes in this release, making more mod incompatible.
HighMongrel

Post by HighMongrel »

Installing just BTW 3.7 and modloader (with all mods put into a different folder) seems to run the world fine. No crashes at all, and all automations not having buildcraft functionality are running as well as they always have. I also tried running the world with most of my mods besides the buildcraft ones and it also runs fine.

As for the mods which I'm using (the ones that still work in the main world without BTB installed)
sargunsters chisel
littlemaidmob
zabuton
dustmod
custom ore generation
camouflage blocks
RBD tools
竹mod
and the ones installed in the jar
audiomod
better enchanting
inv tweaks
TMI
somnia

These all work when I just have BTW 3.7 without BTB in my main world by the way. I've tested all of them for functionality too along with letting my BTW machines run. Having them installed with BTB also works if I make a new world.
Zhil

Post by Zhil »

Can you tell us what the error log is? "It crashes" isn't particularly helpful, unless we know the specific error.
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
HighMongrel

Post by HighMongrel »

Unfortunately, after walking around for a bit it goes to the loading chunks screen then to a black screen. If it does produce an error report I'm not sure where to find it.
HighMongrel

[Solved] BTW 3.70 Crash

Post by HighMongrel »

Well that's interesting to say the least. After some sleep and a whole lot more tests I've managed to track the source of the crashing to the vat mod. However when uninstalled it also crashes as it tries to load the tanks with biofuel in them. Fortunately it seems that if I reinstall it after that things run fine. It even worked with all of my other mods installed. I'm unsure as to why the vat mod would cause a crash like that, but I'm happy that my world can now work with 3.7. I'm even happier that I'm only losing one block, which is alot easier to record and replace. Anyways, thanks for the help.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: [Solved] BTW 3.70 Crash

Post by FlowerChild »

HighMongrel wrote:Well that's interesting to say the least. After some sleep and a whole lot more tests I've managed to track the source of the crashing to the vat mod. However when uninstalled it also crashes as it tries to load the tanks with biofuel in them. Fortunately it seems that if I reinstall it after that things run fine. It even worked with all of my other mods installed. I'm unsure as to why the vat mod would cause a crash like that, but I'm happy that my world can now work with 3.7. I'm even happier that I'm only losing one block, which is alot easier to record and replace. Anyways, thanks for the help.
Hmmm...that's interesting and also points away from this being a related problem to RenEvo's, since I don't believe he uses the Vat mod.

It's a load off my mind to be sure, as it likely indicates that this isn't a problem with BTW, but it does leave me scratching my head.
HighMongrel

Post by HighMongrel »

A few more tests and it's definitely the vat mod. More specifically it's whenever it's heated. I'll go mention it in the mod's thread.
Zhil

Post by Zhil »

Yeah, I'm glad it's not the same issue as Renevo's. On the other hand, that does mean I can't fix his :/
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Gilberreke wrote:Yeah, I'm glad it's not the same issue as Renevo's. On the other hand, that does mean I can't fix his :/
Hehe...I think we feel the same way about it. Happy it's solved, but a bit uneasy that the potential cause hasn't been fully accounted for (at least in RenEvo's case) :)
Zhil

Post by Zhil »

FlowerChild wrote:Hehe...I think we feel the same way about it. Happy it's solved, but a bit uneasy that the potential cause hasn't been fully accounted for (at least in RenEvo's case) :)
I've been scratching my head (didn't want to turn my bug report thread into a discussion), but I can't figure out anything that would cause it so far.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Gilberreke wrote: I've been scratching my head (didn't want to turn my bug report thread into a discussion), but I can't figure out anything that would cause it so far.
Well, thanks for considering it. I'll keep doing so on my end too, so hopefully if it's something in one of our mods we'll be able to track it down.
PatrickSJ

Post by PatrickSJ »

HighMongrel,

I have fixed the incompatibility and The Vat now works with BTW 3.70. Download: http://www.mediafire.com/?z7rx0cfhvx0m5li