Unidirectional redstone power source

If you want to get banned, this is the place to post.
DaveYanakov

Unidirectional redstone power source

Post by DaveYanakov »

Something I have been wishing for while recently working on wiring is a redstone torch that only sends power in one direction that does not take up all the blocks around it just to block the signal. Such a tool would be quite powerful in regards to making more compact circuits so it should be fairly high up the tree.

The synthesis of redstone gave me idea of putting together something like a dissimilar metal battery slab using netherrack and gold (solid? infused? plated?) rods in place of the traditional copper and zinc. Setting it up in slab form in the same way you place mining charges would let you see what it is powering at a glance as well.

tl;dr I think an 'always on' buddy block would be very useful.

Apologies in advance if this is already in the plan.
Better is the enemy of Good
Eriottosan

Re: Unidirectional redstone power source

Post by Eriottosan »

Forgive me if I'm missing something, but would a Detector Block with a random block placed in front of it not do what you are asking?
私は日本語が大好きだ。だから、私と話すとき、日本語で書けば、日本語で書いてください。
I like Japanese, can you tell?
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

Yes, but the detector block needs to be powered itself in order to do that. I think what he wants is a power /source/ that is directional. I personally do not see a lot of need for it, but I am far from experienced in redstone.
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
Eriottosan

Post by Eriottosan »

Oh yeah and DB send signal out to all its sides ... sorry, momentary silliness.

That being said, building a large redstone circuit because you *have* to is part of the challenge, and hence the fun, is it not?
私は日本語が大好きだ。だから、私と話すとき、日本語で書けば、日本語で書いてください。
I like Japanese, can you tell?
rhacer

Post by rhacer »

Is this not the job of the repeater? It is not really a "source" but it is unidirectional and you could hide your redstone source 15 blocks away outside the design you're making.
Catox

Post by Catox »

I think he doesn't want to 'hide' things : he wants them more compact.
I'd say it looks more like the job of redpower than BTW
Itamarcu

Post by Itamarcu »

Yeah, you can just use a repeater, and if you really don't want any delay you can try and use pistons/lenses.
You know what you should read? Worm. Here you go: https://parahumans.wordpress.com/catego ... tion/1-01/
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

I...fail to see the need or use behind this, unless you're OCD to a fault and have to have all of your redstone all 2D-like.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

I can totally see a use for this. I too don't think it's a BTW type of item, but it's not a bad feature idea.
The infinitely extendable Pottery system
Real Life is an Anarchy Server.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Can someone give me an example of its usage?
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

Absolutely:

Here's my computer kiln controller again:
Spoiler
Show
In the center, you'll see a redstone torch with a repeater right after it, sending signal into a cobble block pushed by a piston. This is merely a signal to tell the the computer when the feed mechanism is in the off position. You'll notice that right next to it is another signal line, and there are several repeaters used right at that point. I need those repeaters because otherwise, that redstone torch would propagate signal down the adjacent line. I also had to tweak the placement of that torch a lot in order to prevent it from activating the nearby piston, or itself blinking from a nearby pulsing signal source.

The block being suggested would have simply been placed where the repeater was located. A no-muss, no-fuss alternative to the mess I had to make here.

The proposed block would be to redstone torches what the repeater can be to redstone dust: a means of insulating the signal line from outside interference. Since it doesn't act as a not-gate either, it wouldn't replace the redstone torch. It simply has specific uses as a sensor in complicated machinery where other factors (such as piston placement) require signal lines close together.
The infinitely extendable Pottery system
Real Life is an Anarchy Server.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Hmmm...ok. It's not the kind of thing I'd build a block around (you'll notice it's very specific-purpose in comparison to the other functional blocks in the mod), however, it is the kind of thing that I'd work into a new block if it suited it.

I'll keep it in mind as a sub-feature for future additions to the mod.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

In the kiln example - placing a redstone torch underneath the block the repeater is facing would have the same effect for less spacing.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Husbag3

Post by Husbag3 »

It could be some sort of redstone block since you said that you wouldn't want to add a redstone block without it having some sort of redstone functionality. Having said that, I don't know how it could be implemented into the tech tree.
If the minecraft world is infinite, why does the sun still rotate around it?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Husbag3 wrote:It could be some sort of redstone block since you said that you wouldn't want to add a redstone block without it having some sort of redstone functionality. Having said that, I don't know how it could be implemented into the tech tree.
Not looking for suggestions for it. As I said, I'll keep this functionality in mind for when I have another block that it makes sense to attach it to...I'm not looking to create a block specifically for that purpose.
Husbag3

Post by Husbag3 »

Sorry, I'll just keep my head down...
If the minecraft world is infinite, why does the sun still rotate around it?
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

Given enough space, anyone can make a redstone circuit do anything. The advancement comes when you can make that same circuit in a more compact space. Redpower takes that way too far and condenses entire circuits down into single blocks. Repeaters can provide this function to a certain extent but they take up multiple blocks and you still need to block off the signal from the input of that repeater. Additionally, the repeater cannot transmit power directly above or below the block it occupies.

Thank you for your consideration, FC. I didn't expect any response so quickly, let alone such a positive one.
Better is the enemy of Good
Poppycocks

Post by Poppycocks »

This is a marvelous idea. It'd solve so many problem I'm having with some of the advanced circuits I'm working on. Especially useful for 1 wide modules. Another use would be to put it into a BD. You can do this of course - with a torch - but the signal if coming from a repeater sometimes (quite randomly really) propagates into the torch and turns it off. This would solve that wonderfully. Of course you could simply use another repeater instead, but that is not working too well for reasons I don't wanna get into.

Needles to say, I'd love to have this in my worlds. Especially if it was "self holding" like a normal block - unlike the torch. That would make for some very efficient piston and BD based circuits.
fearofshorts

Post by fearofshorts »

I feel this feature would be pretty good, if made expensive.

It adds a simple, logical way to allow compression of circuits and is not logically dependent on any particular conceptual implementation. What I mean is that the feature isn't exclusively based around one particular real-world device as is but instead can be implemented in any way Flower wants. It doesn't need to be a "battery" or an "insulated wire", it could be nearly anything.

Of course, this does raise the issue of whether it suits the mod, but I personally feel it might- FC's overall design seems to be centered on "make everything possible, but nothing new to the player too easy". There are very few quick fixes for problems in this mod, until you have progressed far enough into it that you must have already solved it the hard way. EG: steel tools aren't available until you have worked extensively with lesser tools; you can't begin automating pottery or hemp until after you have done it manually.

Pretty damn useful idea, all-in-all.
Thalarctia

Post by Thalarctia »

The block could also be used in conjunction with BD ROMs, removing the need to place a solid block over a redstone torch if space is a big issue. Would allow for much more compact memory/counting systems for clay spinners or soul bottlers to name a few examples.
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

Thalarctia wrote:The block could also be used in conjunction with BD ROMs, removing the need to place a solid block over a redstone torch if space is a big issue. Would allow for much more compact memory/counting systems for clay spinners or soul bottlers to name a few examples.
This can be done with repeaters in the BD, can't it?
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
Thalarctia

Post by Thalarctia »

MoRmEnGiL wrote:
Thalarctia wrote:The block could also be used in conjunction with BD ROMs, removing the need to place a solid block over a redstone torch if space is a big issue. Would allow for much more compact memory/counting systems for clay spinners or soul bottlers to name a few examples.
This can be done with repeaters in the BD, can't it?
Hmm, dunno. Maybe? Gonna have to check. If it is the case, then my previous post can be disregarded.
Zhil

Post by Zhil »

Poppycocks wrote:Especially if it was "self holding" like a normal block - unlike the torch. That would make for some very efficient piston and BD based circuits.
This. I like the "self-holding idea". It makes the block double as useful. Imagine being able to get a redstone signal anywhere, even floating.

I think I like the idea like this:

Block that doesn't need to be attached to anything, doesn't invert the signal, but simply sends out a constant red-stone signal in one direction.

I think that would be a very unique block, allowing for many different and new applications.

Quirky extra idea: Make it so the block turns off if powered by two different sides. This would combine the above block with being a natural AND gate. This idea is more flimsy, but it's interesting enough to mention I guess.
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Poppycocks

Post by Poppycocks »

It'd be triply awesome if it ended up looking like it does in my minds eye. Then it'd have aesthetic applications as well.
SgtChuckle

Post by SgtChuckle »

Poppycocks wrote:It'd be triply awesome if it ended up looking like it does in my minds eye. Then it'd have aesthetic applications as well.
And what dost thy mind's eye see?

Just want to say that I support this, there are quite a few times where I could have cut the size of a circuit in half with this and if I actually took a walk around my world I could find a few more.
Poppycocks wrote:Suggesting to hack the logo on all sides is akin to suggesting someone to take a crap out of a window if he doesn't like his toilet seat.