How long does it take you to get through the tech tree?

A place to talk to other users about the mod.

How long does it take you to scale the tech-tree?

I use Creative/ TMI/ NEI
No votes
Less than 10 hours
10%
A good 10 hours
25%
A hearty few days
34%
An imaginative few weeks
11%
A majestically long time!
20%

Total votes: 61
Joeyjoebob

Re: How long does it take you to get through the tech tree?

Post by Joeyjoebob »

TheAnarchitect wrote:Nope. Everyone assumes that because you CAN be a dick to each other in anarchy, that you somehow HAVE to be a dick to each other in Anarchy.
It's not that you have to. It's just that mostly everyone wants to and will be a dick.
TheAnarchitect wrote:
TaterBoy wrote:Well, now I know. And as GI-Joe says, knowing is half the battle. :)
The other half is violence...
Blazara

Post by Blazara »

Flower, you my kind sir, are deep :')

On an Anarchy BTW server I can already see myself playing the social hore, making more allies than I can throw a wolf carcass at... Or being the little shit that see's a windmill and thinks... "mine!"
Blazara wrote: I, am a BETTERTHANwolfaboo.
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

Well, the thing is if I see you do the second I will murder the shit out of you. I don't even care who's windmill it was.
The infinitely extendable Pottery system
Real Life is an Anarchy Server.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

TheAnarchitect wrote:Well, the thing is if I see you do the second I will murder the shit out of you. I don't even care who's windmill it was.
Frontier justice. Yeehaw :)
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

once people are setup properly, I foresee bait windmills being used.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Stormweaver wrote:once people are setup properly, I foresee bait windmills being used.
Hehe...true enough. I like it :)

The release I'm working on actually has a similar (but more intense) concept of drawing people to a location, that I've definitely been designing with eventual anarchy play in mind.

I think that when we do get to SMP, I'd like to build more of these kind of aspects into the mod to give focal points for conflict.

EDIT: Actually, it just occurred to me that making end-gates and/or the End a part of the tech tree might actually be very interesting in this regard. Since there are only three strongholds on a map, it would give people a definite reason in SMP to control and defend them and further serve to motivate conflict. Hmmmm...I like it.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Stormweaver wrote:...or tape down my shift key and wait for the first telltale signs of blood trees or [removed] in the nether to give me a nice base to tech up at...till I steal the important bits and leave.
Heh, I figured something specifically like that would be in this next block of content. Though part of me wonders if it has anything to do with the ideas you were considering (and probably discarded/changed) regarding mushroom biomes.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

FlowerChild wrote:EDIT: Actually, it just occurred to me that making end-gates and/or the End a part of the tech tree might actually be very interesting in this regard. Since there are only three strongholds on a map, it would give people a definite reason in SMP to control and defend them and further serve to motivate conflict. Hmmmm...I like it.
Pretty sure they generate infinitely (if rarely) now though; IIRC, more than 3 strongholds have been found on the infamous mindcrack server, for example.

...forum, y u no automerge >.>
Foxy Boxes

Post by Foxy Boxes »

I know for a fact the first thing I'd try and do is get some tnt and booby trap a windmill. Random variations of pressure pads triggering and pressure pads not being there (placing pressure pads on detector blocks wired up to not gates) should keep potential griefers away ;)
On the internet you can be whatever you want. It's surprising so many people choose to be stupid.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

I think I would setup my first windmill in the nether completely enclosed in netherrack....
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

That's certainly a valid strategy. Another one is to make a windmill, and only put it up when you are actively using said power. By the time you are building mechanisms that require being powered while you aren't present, you'll have waterwheels. Hell, in a fast tech-up I probably would only use it to grind some leather for tanning to get a saw, then saw the wood for a waterwheel, and take the thing down immediately.

Another is to actually put the thing underground. You only need a 13x1 hole 13 or more deep. A little creative landscaping and people won't be able to see it unless they are right on top of it. Hell, with some pistons you could actually close the ground over it when not in use, but again, by that time you probably have a waterwheel.

This topic has had me thinking about the best quick tech-ups for anarchy play. I'm not sharing anything I come up with, though, unless I think it's obvious anyway.
The infinitely extendable Pottery system
Real Life is an Anarchy Server.
Blazara

Post by Blazara »

Quickest way to progress through the tech tree on an anarchy server, By T.T.M Blazara;

1) Steal
2) Escape TheAnarchitect's arousing sense of punishment...
3) Steal a gimp suit
4) Bait randy users via skipping through bases wearing everything but trousers
5) Bonk the pursuer on the head with a bucket of milk
6) Live out the rest of my days in a 3x3x3 hole surrounded by gimp suited sheepies....
7) Give Flowerchild a ginormous kiss...
Foxy Boxes

Post by Foxy Boxes »

Not sure how I'd set it up (I used wireless redstone in the pic), but this should avoid detection for a bit... Hopefully:
Spoiler
Show
Of course by the time you have hemp fibres for the sails you've probably already been in the nether which makes it much more feasible to live there but...
On the internet you can be whatever you want. It's surprising so many people choose to be stupid.
Blazara

Post by Blazara »

Here's a link to my imgur album, the linked screenshots are the result of roughly 10 hours work, showing what I've built. Enjoy? :)

http://imgur.com/a/jQJxv