MCP mod API

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
Xekrom337

MCP mod API

Post by Xekrom337 »

http://seargedp.tumblr.com/post/1846202 ... d-system-1

interesting, basically mcp is making an API for mods to use, that only needs one code base for the client and server. it also allows mods to modify minecraft without modifying the jar. and basic hooks for adding blocks, items, crafting, etc.

the thing i want to know is: WHY? its all great and all, but it doesnt make sense if mojang is developing their own API that will probaly do 99.99% of the same things...
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: MCP mod API

Post by FlowerChild »

They've been working on that a very long time man. They may have just felt obliged to get it released after all that.

I also think there's a lot of (understandable) hesitation within the modding community as to whether the official API will really do everything we need it to.
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

It most certainly won't, at least not initially. To do everything the modding community needs, it would need to have more hooks than a fishing convention in waterworld.

Still, I'm looking forward to it. It might be the incentive I need to maybe dabble a bit in modding myself.
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
Zhil

Post by Zhil »

Xekrom337 wrote:the thing i want to know is: WHY? its all great and all, but it doesnt make sense if mojang is developing their own API that will probaly do 99.99% of the same things...
They started working on this months before Mojang started talking API. In fact, those guys were one of the contenders for the spots that eventually went to Bukkit.

As far as a viable APIs, it's probably the best one, but it's also the slowest developing one.
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

That sounds better than anything mojang would make :P
DreamsofFury

Post by DreamsofFury »

These guys are doing one that is SSP and SMP compatible while Mojang is focusing on SMP only. Course that MIGHT be due to their plans of "eliminating" single player and allowing you to invite your friends to your world or something....no idea.
Poppycocks

Post by Poppycocks »

DreamsofFury wrote:These guys are doing one that is SSP and SMP compatible while Mojang is focusing on SMP only. Course that MIGHT be due to their plans of "eliminating" single player and allowing you to invite your friends to your world or something....no idea.
The funny thing is that I suggested a SMP/SSP merger even before they tried getright and once again after that. The idea didn't get much attention at all. No, let me rephrase, the idea didn't get any attention at all.

It's a good thing, half the code needed could mean twice the productivity. This is a good thing, especially for moders.

I just hope they'll tackle the problem with client mods well. Not having that means server mods only - which look quite half-assed if you ask me (MCMMO, ekonomy seem like good example of mods, which would benefit greatly from client modifications). Having that however means a huge security risk if you don't do it "right" and probably even then. I'd probably employ a voting/flagging/blacklisting system if I were them.

But yeah, what MCP did, just official, would be beast. I see Jeb on MCP from time to time, so I hope he'll find the time to talk with Saerge. Then again - why, he's got the buckwheat boys for that.

I mean bukkit! Bukkit boys, yes.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Poppycocks wrote: It's a good thing, half the code needed could mean twice the productivity. This is a good thing, especially for moders.
Well, not quite. It's largely a matter of code-duplication, and while that definitely hurts productivity, it wouldn't halve it.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

It's not DRY! It needs to be DRY!!!
Poppycocks

Post by Poppycocks »

FlowerChild wrote:
Poppycocks wrote: It's a good thing, half the code needed could mean twice the productivity. This is a good thing, especially for moders.
Well, not quite. It's largely a matter of code-duplication, and while that definitely hurts productivity, it wouldn't halve it.
Ah, quite. I've gotten a bit overzealous. Ah, right, Jebs interview, that's where he used "twice" or "doubbles" or "halved" or one of those, must've gotten lodged somewhere in my brain.

Still, less work isn't the only positive side effect.

I see.. exciting times ahead of us.