New User, His Map, His Texture Pack

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
PizzaSHARK!

Re: New User, His Map, His Texture Pack

Post by PizzaSHARK! »

Jesus christ man, that's some impressive work. And you did this all in survival? Did you have to use a flying mod to do those towers and temples? Tell me you didn't build them from the ground up in layers like a damn printer.

I definitely like the texturepack. John Smith's always been one of my favorite 32x packs. Hopefully you'll get permission to share it soon :)
EdzyWhat

Post by EdzyWhat »

PizzaSHARK! wrote:Jesus christ man, that's some impressive work. And you did this all in survival? Did you have to use a flying mod to do those towers and temples? Tell me you didn't build them from the ground up in layers like a damn printer.

I definitely like the texturepack. John Smith's always been one of my favorite 32x packs. Hopefully you'll get permission to share it soon :)
Well the flying would have been useful, but I just settled for having a spawn point nearby so dying wasn't too much of an issue. The Temple was relatively easy. The tower was not. Also, I will now forever think of myself as a terribly slow 3d printer :)

As far as the TP, no guarantees. I had one particular refusal. I'll be working on some original art to replace it when I finish ME3.
I had an image here once. Then I took an arrow... somewhere...
PizzaSHARK!

Post by PizzaSHARK! »

EdzyWhat wrote:
PizzaSHARK! wrote:Jesus christ man, that's some impressive work. And you did this all in survival? Did you have to use a flying mod to do those towers and temples? Tell me you didn't build them from the ground up in layers like a damn printer.

Well the flying would have been useful, but I just settled for having a spawn point nearby so dying wasn't too much of an issue. The Temple was relatively easy. The tower was not. Also, I will now forever think of myself as a terribly slow 3d printer :)

As far as the TP, no guarantees. I had one particular refusal. I'll be working on some original art to replace it when I finish ME3.
Sounds cool. I think that once I build my new computer in a couple months and can actually use the fancy stuff like 256x and 512x texture packs, and things like the GLSL shaders mod, I'll learn how to do texture packs. I don't think I'd be any good at creating one from scratch, but I imagine I could cannibalize a few different ones into something for my own personal use; probably be easier than running up to people and screaming OMG MAKE DIS FOR ME PLS, anyway :)

Again, really nice work. The tower in particular just looks absolutely stunning.
Elektrohawk

Post by Elektrohawk »

Me gusta. I like that most of your buildings house practical facilities. I've always enjoyed the prospect of building structures and small villages, but become frustrated at the prospect of what to actually put in them or how to furnish them. This gives me ideas to perhaps split up some of my processes a bit more, and make their housing structures more like village houses.
Lol nope
EdzyWhat

Post by EdzyWhat »

Thanks guys. As far as fitting processes in small buildings, I have two thoughts. First, that it forces me to plan my contraptions much more than I personally would otherwise. More fun is had this way. Two, it actually helps me differentiate and distinguish buildings properly. I'd always had a problem in vMC with making my village buildings have more defined uses, but with BTW, it's no problem. It allows me to give buildings a use, and then to make that use set the building's form. Function -> Form = more interesting building designs.

And related to Texture Packs, does anyone have a preferred editor? I'm just using CS5, but I'm wondering if there is a "right" way to make these things that I haven't clued in on.
Poppycocks

Post by Poppycocks »

EdzyWhat wrote:Thanks guys. As far as fitting processes in small buildings, I have two thoughts. First, that it forces me to plan my contraptions much more than I personally would otherwise. More fun is had this way. Two, it actually helps me differentiate and distinguish buildings properly. I'd always had a problem in vMC with making my village buildings have more defined uses, but with BTW, it's no problem. It allows me to give buildings a use, and then to make that use set the building's form. Function -> Form = more interesting building designs.

And related to Texture Packs, does anyone have a preferred editor? I'm just using CS5, but I'm wondering if there is a "right" way to make these things that I haven't clued in on.
I'm used to use fireworks for pixel stuff. But Photoshop CS5 is good - you couldn't turn off antialiasing on the eraser in the older ones.
EdzyWhat

Post by EdzyWhat »

Poppycocks wrote:you couldn't turn off antialiasing on the eraser in the older ones.

How does one accomplish such a feat? I've been using the select tool to do my fine erasing... :S
Poppycocks

Post by Poppycocks »

EdzyWhat wrote:
Poppycocks wrote:you couldn't turn off antialiasing on the eraser in the older ones.

How does one accomplish such a feat? I've been using the select tool to do my fine erasing... :S
It's on the upper tool-sensitive bar somewhere. You switch the eraser type from brush to pencil.
EdzyWhat

Post by EdzyWhat »

Self bump for interest about new content - see the OP and here!:
Spoiler
Show
I'll be posting more later if anyone is interested...
Thalarctia

Post by Thalarctia »

Can't wait to see the album for your newest builds! I got so much inspiration to become a better builder from your Seawatch project, cannot wait to see more details of this!