On a 1 to 30, where do you want the tech-tree to end?

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Itamarcu

Re: On a 1 to 30, where do you want the tech-tree to end?

Post by Itamarcu »

I think the next "ages" would surely include steam, or at least heavy machinery, so I guess we would reach 1900 or so. But I don't think computers, cameras or screens would be part of it...FC would probably to to "magicalize" the world and create an entirely new age, of Magical Steampunk Egyptian Soul Hellish Space age.
You know what you should read? Worm. Here you go: https://parahumans.wordpress.com/catego ... tion/1-01/
Poppycocks

Post by Poppycocks »

Husbag3 wrote:I don't want to see BTW turn into one of those mods that adds other planets. It just wouldn't fit the theme.
I'm with you on this one.

Other dimensions? Fine, heck, I'd traverse all the 7 levels of nether and never think about it twice. Other planets? Meh.
itamarcu wrote:I think the next "ages" would surely include steam, or at least heavy machinery, so I guess we would reach 1900 or so. But I don't think computers, cameras or screens would be part of it...FC would probably to to "magicalize" the world and create an entirely new age, of Magical Steampunk Egyptian Soul Hellish Space age.
Sounds good to me. Except perhaps space.

SPAAAAAAACE.
Itamarcu

Post by Itamarcu »

Other dimensions, planets or biomes would be interesting. I would love seeing a floating island dimension, like the Aether, plainly because it would have so much aesthetic potential.
You know what you should read? Worm. Here you go: https://parahumans.wordpress.com/catego ... tion/1-01/
Poppycocks

Post by Poppycocks »

itamarcu wrote:Other dimensions, planets or biomes would be interesting. I would love seeing a floating island dimension, like the Aether, plainly because it would have so much aesthetic potential.
What I'd like is minecraft to use the full potential of the cubic chunks mod. Go for broke, 65k blocks. But use it smartly, generate a planet in this space, complete with the aether and nether.

And all.
Kain Magin

Post by Kain Magin »

Poppycocks wrote:
itamarcu wrote:Other dimensions, planets or biomes would be interesting. I would love seeing a floating island dimension, like the Aether, plainly because it would have so much aesthetic potential.
What I'd like is minecraft to use the full potential of the cubic chunks mod. Go for broke, 65k blocks. But use it smartly, generate a planet in this space, complete with the aether and nether.

And all.
i once saw a mod that did that. you had to dig down from "earth" to the nether, and there were floating continents above the clouds. havnt seen it in a while tho...

Even tho i was the one who started the "space age" topic in this thread... i just dont see BTW progressing that far... or even in that direction. It does seem like were in a fictitious 1600's era and are heading along a similar time-line to real human development (albeit with a hell you can visit on Tuesdays and the ability to bottle a soul like Ghostbusters...). I dont really wanna see any developments in the "medical" area, or in high technology computers... I would love to see steam power.... but what purpose would that serve? we already have waterwheels which can deliver constant mechanical power... unless there comes a whole new set of materials to construct powered automatic machinations... there really isn't a need for a new source of power. (Except for maybe something self-contained... Steam Robot...)
FlowerChild wrote:"Fuck me".
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

Well, we can already DO computers in minecraft. VMC, even. So no need to go that far.
The infinitely extendable Pottery system
Real Life is an Anarchy Server.
PizzaSHARK!

Post by PizzaSHARK! »

I like the idea of being able to farm my chickens with a flak cannon and shooting creepers with a shock rifle. Beyond that? I think the whole dimension-hopping concept (assuming we can define the nether and the end as being separate dimensions from the overworld) hasn't really been explored well with any mods except maybe The Aether and maybe the Twilight Forest.

I particularly like the idea of a new dimension being required for advancement, and that dimension having different or at least adjusted physical laws governing it compared to the overworld/nether/end. Alternatively, encouraging the exploration and exploitation of oceans is a neat idea. Would basically telling a player they have to go explore the shit out of their world for a deep ocean (if they haven't located one already) be considered an acceptable task?
CreeperCommando

Post by CreeperCommando »

BTW would probably continue into new tech levels until 1. FC gets tired of it 2. there is no more stuff to automate

I'd actually like it if the progression had more of milestone moments which kinda gave you strong "WTF did I actually do right now?" feelings, and in that gave you a sense of achievement. It'd certainly give a much more stronger sense of purpose in Steve's tech progression.
Everyone have their own views and experience of BTW and I'm not an exception, exactly how the tech will progress is only speculative at best (cause that's up to FC) but I still want to give my two cents

I wouldn't feel that BTW is complete if it doesn't have a need for doing crazy stuff like for example (everything in its fitting tech-level of course):
* Build a RPG with shaped charge soul projectiles to be able to one hit the ender-dragon, in order to collect his egg in the name of science.
* Build a time machine to travel back in time (maybe same mechanics as different game dimensions (nether, the end, aether, etc.)), where you'd find a newly generated overworld with you running around punching trees (mob that use the same skin as your character). Killing him will let you loot some paradox to create new stuff.
* Travel to the moon (transportation could be a bloody cannon for all I care) where you can enslave an advanced alien lifeform and create new farms out of them
* A need to create temples where you can enshrine companion cubes
* Create blackholes (blocks that when placed 'sucks up' any blocks and entities that come near a certain distance)

But how big chance is it that any of that will be included?
Ribky wrote:Right into the hibachi? Damn man, God hates your windmill more than he hates the uncircumcised.
FC wrote:"You have defeated zrog the mighty! Have a potato."
FC wrote: "Does Dung Float?"
PizzaSHARK!

Post by PizzaSHARK! »

The idea of creating temples where you can sacrifice enshrine companion cubes is hilarious. Maybe it could be a different way of collecting souls without requiring soul sand!
Last edited by PizzaSHARK! on Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
CreeperCommando

Post by CreeperCommando »

PizzaSHARK! wrote:-snip-
I tried not to go to much off topic with my post, note a distinct theme that shows more of a spirit than 'what you could do further'.
This is clearly not a suggestion thread and it would very well be a bad idea to break that rule so, sorry if my post worked as bait as it wasn't intended...

I tried to say stuff I'd love to see implemented for the fore-mentioned feeling they could bring to the player as it is these kind of things that imo makes the BTW experience unique. Something I personally find as a imperative part in the BTW tech, it certainly doesn't have a realistic philosophy in it's tech-tree but one connected with a moral sense of 'how far are you willing to go?'.
Ribky wrote:Right into the hibachi? Damn man, God hates your windmill more than he hates the uncircumcised.
FC wrote:"You have defeated zrog the mighty! Have a potato."
FC wrote: "Does Dung Float?"
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

PizzaSHARK! wrote:- A use for lapis lazuli that isn't decorative. I like the idea of mixing redstone dust with lapis lazuli chunks (maybe they have to be ground into dust or a paste first?) to create bluestone! Maybe this bluestone or whatever could be used in complex wiring or something.
Ok, between this, and between using the "What sold you on BTW?" thread as an advertisement for another mod, consider this a warning that you may want to use the mod a bit more and consider which section you are posting in before posting further.

For the above:

a) This is not the suggestion sub-forum. Restrict your suggestions to that area.

b) There's already use for lapis within BTW, so I'm thinking you really haven't played it very much at all. I'd really stay away from making suggestions until you get to know the mod better.
Husbag3

Post by Husbag3 »

That's the same with me, when I first joined the forums I thought that diamond saws would be a good idea. I'm so glad I didn't post that...
If the minecraft world is infinite, why does the sun still rotate around it?
Elektrohawk

Post by Elektrohawk »

I strongly disagree with your scale for rating where the tech tree should end.

While I can see a 1 being cave man levelish equipment, this is a completely unreasonable starting point, as it would mean not only removing practically EVERYTHING in the mod, but also modding to remove all the tools and weapons, wooden tools included, in the game, not to mention also things like being able to plant seeds, or even create planks (both of which cave men didnt do, agriculture only really caught on in the last what, 5,000 years?)

So, having established that 1 is a completely irrational starting point, and should not even be considered, lets have a look at your 30 point:

Industrial craft? Really? You're choosing not a technological point of advancement in human development, but rather, another mod, as a time period, a mod in itself that isn't even wholly consistent on what era it would represent? Industrialcraft represents technological development (to some extent) from the 1800s, to the 1960s, possibly even some later stuff, but Im pretty sure thats about where it wraps up so far. (Solar panels, laser cutting devices, nuclear weapons, etc, are NOT new technology. Even the jet pack was theorized in the 1920s, and became a reality in the 1960s.)

So, instead of saying, 1-30 being 10,000 BCE to (a whole different mod that goes up to 1960CE), Why not set reasonable timeline dates? Given that Better than wolves already has pully elevating platforms, bellows fired kilns, directed explosion blasting charges, steel, and other similar era technology (yes yes, I know Steel came LONG before some of the others there, 300BCE in india, to be precise), a reasonable starting point for your scale, is probably the 1600s sometime. So, given that logically speaking, since we dont want to see half of the mod removed for the sake of things being 'older and less technologically advanced', and setting the current 1 on the scale to the 1800s, I think the other end should probably be set at least well beyond the year 2020, not just in the 1960s as you propose. What does this mean? Well, advanced power systems, like portable safe nuclear fuel cells perhaps, to produce temporary higher yield mechanical power? How about fuelled ultralights? Poison innoculation devices, or even technology to discern what minerals are at what layer in a chunk?

I think it is ridiculous, insulting even to SUGGEST that industrial craft could in any way been seen as a goal/endpoint for better than wolves.

Therefore, on your scale, I think Better than wolves' tech tree should end at around 34.

(For those of you who might cry out SOLAR PANELS ARE NEW TECHNOLOGY! No, they aren't. Research of solar panels began in 1839 by French physicist Antoine-Caesar Becquerel. The first person to develop a solar cell was Charles Fritts in the year 1883. In 1941, Russel Ohl invented the first silicon solar cell. (Wikipedia) )
Lol nope
badmojo98

Post by badmojo98 »

clearly the tech tree should end with hoverboards, auto-lace up shoes and a jacket that automatically dries itself when wet.

btw, nicely said Elektrohawk. To add to that, two things. Considering vMC has minecarts with rails, villages and redstone power, you could argue that vMC is set post 1900.

Secondly, just an interesting note, the first agricultural activity was very likely in Asia cultivating the hemp plant, around 15,000 bc. however it wasn't until around 7000bc that agriculture spread spread to egypt and into western history books. over the next two thousand years, the plough was invented and beasts of burden were first domesticated, and agriculture moved from a family past-time to a community activity.

history is fun :)
No one would say that what they were doing was complicated. It wouldn't even be considered new, except for maybe in the geological sense. They took from their surroundings what was needed and made of it something more.
- Primer
Joeyjoebob

Post by Joeyjoebob »

FlowerChild wrote:
Ok, between this, and between using the "What sold you on BTW?" thread as an advertisement for another mod, consider this a warning that you may want to use the mod a bit more and consider which section you are posting in before posting further.

For the above:

a) This is not the suggestion sub-forum. Restrict your suggestions to that area.

b) There's already use for lapis within BTW, so I'm thinking you really haven't played it very much at all. I'd really stay away from making suggestions until you get to know the mod better.
I knew he had made a mistake the second I read that.
TheAnarchitect wrote:
TaterBoy wrote:Well, now I know. And as GI-Joe says, knowing is half the battle. :)
The other half is violence...
Elektrohawk

Post by Elektrohawk »

Good point badmojo, on the agriculture date. Was just going off rough memory on that, apparently off by a few thousand years =) But still, nowhere near 'cave man' times. ;)
Lol nope
PizzaSHARK!

Post by PizzaSHARK! »

FlowerChild wrote:Ok, between this, and between using the "What sold you on BTW?" thread as an advertisement for another mod, consider this a warning that you may want to use the mod a bit more and consider which section you are posting in before posting further.
I wasn't attempting to advertise a different mod - I was mentioning that I'd found a mod that is compatible with BTW and adds a change that fits very well with the theme, allowing you to use content added by BTW in an effective and fun manner in harmony with the changes that other mod added to terrain generation. The other mod is not "competing" with BTW since it doesn't affect anything that BTW seeks to affect - if anything, I felt it worked really well with BTW. That's why I mentioned it.

I removed it since apparently it's no bueno, though.