An Inventive Outlet for Cobblestone

If you want to get banned, this is the place to post.
Runesmith

An Inventive Outlet for Cobblestone

Post by Runesmith »

Considering the over abundance of stone and cobblestone one gets by late game vanilla Minecraft, which only reaches obscene levels when using the automations of BTW and especially BTB, I'd think a new way to churn through this resource is in order.

I think a number of people on these forums would agree, bearing these threads in mind:

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=3136

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3152

The latter thread gives one possible outlet, conversion into sandstone, but that still leaves one with literal mountains of blocks, be they sandstone or cobblestone.

However, since this is a late game problem, I'd think the solution should be a gateway to gameplay progression. As BTW stands on the cusp of new, more advanced technologies and ages, I believe that heavily condensing excess stone into the staple resource for these new ages makes sense.

Exactly how this condensation process works, and what it involves beyond copious amounts of stone, is up to the community, and moreover, Flowerchild.

What are your thoughts?
"First immortality... then the bitches."
Pentagram

Re: An Inventive Outlet for Cobblestone

Post by Pentagram »

Spoiler
Show
[Removed suggestion of another mod according to subforum rules note "Please try to refrain from responding to suggestions with "use this other mod". Keep in mind that BTW is designed as a stand-alone mod, and especially with the move away from the Forge, continued compatibility may not be guaranteed."]
Did you have any specific idea of what would be a practical outlet? For example what one person said about grinding it into cobble

Edit: Ooh I ninja'd someone. I feel proud :D my first ninja.
Last edited by Pentagram on Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
walker_boh_65 wrote:And, update 4-20? So that means hemp is now smokable, right? :P
Gargantuan_Penguin

Post by Gargantuan_Penguin »

I have been thinking for a long time about some sort of synthetic blast proof block, but since I could think of no use for such a block in better than wolves I kept the idea to myself. would you care to expand o your thoughts of what the use of such blocks/materials would be?

ninja'd by pentagram
And HOW!
Runesmith

Post by Runesmith »

I understand your confusion, as I remained somewhat vague as to avoid violating the "don't suggest recipes for features" part of forum rule 2.

Basically, what I personally was thinking was to use the anvil to transform a large grid (maybe the full 4x4?) of either smooth stone or cobble into just 1 of the new block (or item), maybe marble or granite, though what it is doesn't matter.

With this new synthetic resource, it would be the main ingredient for making the new devices found in more advanced ages. The idea is much like axles and gearboxes being mostly wood at the start, but later devices are composed of mostly stone and steel.

This resource could, in turn, be used to make the automated anvil mentioned in the past, for example. The premise is new ages needing better materials and the requirement of massing huge amounts of cobble seems like a reasonable bottleneck for progression to me.
"First immortality... then the bitches."
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Any resource you can make out of cobble can then be produced with a cobble-generator. There is basically an infinite supply of cobble available that the player can get at any time, so basing other resources on it will mean those resources can be similarly acquired.

So no, I won't be spending time adding resources that can just be produced out of thin air, or nerfing other resources by allowing them to be made out of cobble.

Also, this is largely a BTB suggestion as far as I can tell, so please restrict any suggestions for that mod to the appropriate subforum.