Baiting pigmen: farming gold in the nether

If you want to get banned, this is the place to post.
The great randomo

Baiting pigmen: farming gold in the nether

Post by The great randomo »

In version 1.0 of minecraft, gold nuggets were added as a mob drop to zombie pigmen, making gold a renewable rescource. This was great, as gold is not at all easy to find, and is required to make redstone eyes, which are used up very fast.
Unfortunately, this requires you to go exploring into the nether to find lots of the creatures to kill, which is one of minecraft's weaker points.
The idea, is a kind of 'bait', for luring in zombie pigmen, that would be used for collecting gold nuggets in larger quantities. Means of killing them could then be used, and, once we have our nether transport system, automated drop collection could be applied.
The whole thing would provide more reason to go to the nether and expand your base there, something that is always good.
For performance reasons, it might have to spawn in the pigmen around it, so it doesn't have to check for miles around to bring in pigmen.
Chris Martin wrote:The morning is for sleeping.
EvilSheeper

Re: Baiting pigmen: farming gold in the nether

Post by EvilSheeper »

I would personally love to see something like this, however it is still possible right now by using a bow. But, if possible, I would prefer it to not be a spawner.
FlowerChild wrote:Let's not get into instructions on explosive manufacture guys. I've got enough problems without attracting the attention of law enforcement :)
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

forum rules, read them.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
The great randomo

Post by The great randomo »

I wasn't saying it should act like a normal spawner, but something that might increase the chance of pigmen spawning around it. If it had to run a check for any pigmen in loaded chunks nearby, I think here would be a considerable performance cost.

Edit: sorry, I didnt think of that. Would you approve of some form of farming then though?
Chris Martin wrote:The morning is for sleeping.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

The great randomo wrote:
Edit: sorry, I didnt think of that. Would you approve of some form of farming then though?
I'd approve yeah, but there's already a method of doing it.

- Find large lava lake
- Clear out any small landmasses, or cover them with lava
- build mobtrap.

It's the same theory that lighting up caves has, except it's probably a lot easier. A lot harder to do it neatly, but getting infinite gold should take some effort imo.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
whynocheese

Post by whynocheese »

Pant blood wood trees. Problem solved anything within a range (can someone find that range?) will come for you including Zombified Pigs.
Xekrom337

Post by Xekrom337 »

what about snow golems? do they work in the nether?
elipod

Post by elipod »

Xekrom337 wrote:what about snow golems? do they work in the nether?
Yup, and they kill blazes.