Just a brief update on 1.0

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: Just a brief update on 1.0

Post by FlowerChild »

Ribky wrote: Now back to waiting patiently whilst enjoying the pill cocktail I'm using to wage war on this sinus infection.
Don't take any guff from those bacterial swine.
Ribky

Post by Ribky »

FlowerChild wrote:
Ribky wrote: Now back to waiting patiently whilst enjoying the pill cocktail I'm using to wage war on this sinus infection.
Don't take any guff from those bacterial swine.
SIR, NO SIR!
The spice must flow...

[03:28] <Detritus_> Weird, I'm still logged in her
Magnas

Post by Magnas »

Been stalking the forums for a week or so now, finally found incentive to post it seems.

With Jeb taking over the coding and the API being his first goal (for now!) I was wondering if you're at all worried? I doubt you would be, since you're modifying the code and the API is a frontend for what you're already doing, right? Just curious.

Wanted to say a few things, but I'll spoiler tag it so it doesn't flood the forum with a wall of text.
Spoiler
Show
It's amazing the work you put into the mod, FC. I think, like everyone else, dropping Forge is a smart move. Better to have one good mod than a bunch of superficial ones, in my opinion. The vanilla game doesn't have much in terms of incentive after a few buildings are constructed. The tech tree, though, really gave me incentive to work towards something.

That said, I was hesitant at first. I caught the blowback from the Yogscast dispute while looking up information on the mod. I was expecting the worst, so I watch Battosay's interview. Agreed with everything you said and then found your handling of the forum to be a real bonus. Can't stand the Minecraft Forums.

I'm an aspiring designer myself and have been contemplating learning Java to mod the game. I'm primarily a character animator, so I've never really touched programming. I imagine just start small, add a few blocks or modify something small.

I particularly dig your philosophy on the the mod, with function over form. So many seem caught up in adding to the game without expanding the core gameplay. Kinda drives me nuts, hahah.
CommisarCain

Post by CommisarCain »

CrimsonStorm wrote: You don't happen to be involved with a FIRST Robotics Team, do you? Just out of curiosity, since that type of thing seems eerily familiar... :)
Nah nothing that cool.

Edit: ^ I like magnas's post.
Thalmane

Post by Thalmane »

yay!! now if only i didnt have to work tonight *tear* As far as this taking to long.... well i was expecting it to be sometime closer to christmas so this a wonderful surpirse indeed :D
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Well, I think I've run my battery of tests now and everything seems to be in order. Nothing seems to have been really broken in the process, which is really a pleasant surprise for me given that I've been coding in the dark for about a week without even being able to test anything (I habitually test small bits of code each time I change them under regular circumstances to avoid an accumulation of problems).

I find myself working instead now on adding small things, and fixing small bugs reported over the last while, so I guess I'm pretty close to being at a point where I am comfortable to release :)

Just one last small set of tests to run with to release version of the game, and we should be good to go :)
Magnas wrote:Been stalking the forums for a week or so now, finally found incentive to post it seems.
Thanks for your thoughtful post man, and welcome to the forums!
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Writing code without feedback is the worst. Glad to hear you got through with everything working!
Rugaard

Post by Rugaard »

yay, cant wait to see what surprises you managed create for this update
Folrig

Post by Folrig »

Did 3.22 become unstickied? Or was it never stickied? I'm pretty sure it was stickied and is now no longer. Does this herald a new topic!?

Am I excited for nothing?
This...all of this...is just...wonky!
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

Folrig wrote:Did 3.22 become unstickied? Or was it never stickied? I'm pretty sure it was stickied and is now no longer. Does this herald a new topic!?

LOL, yes, it usually does preface a new version.
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Folrig wrote:Did 3.22 become unstickied? Or was it never stickied? I'm pretty sure it was stickied and is now no longer. Does this herald a new topic!?

Rejoice :)
Ribky

Post by Ribky »

FlowerChild wrote:
Rejoice :)
Houston, we have lift off

Rejoicing has commenced
The spice must flow...

[03:28] <Detritus_> Weird, I'm still logged in her
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

UG!!! Nasty, nasty problem with the new release.

Ok, so it turns out Mojang decided to call the tile entity for their brewing stand a cauldron. As a result, there's a nice conflict going on between the brewing stand and the cauldron when an existing world gets loaded, and the game crashes when you right click a brewing stand, because it half thinks it's a cauldron.

If I rename the cauldron tile entity to avoid this, the brewing stand works fine, but right clicking on an existing cauldron crashes, because it thinks it's a brewing stand.

<face desk>
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

MOJANG!!!!

*Shater-Khan impression*
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

I'm so confused, I just posted that to the wrong thread too :)
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

I was surprised when I looked at the release thread and noticed my post wasn't there. Damn I'm tired.