Realistic wolf finding.

If you want to get banned, this is the place to post.
Panda

Realistic wolf finding.

Post by Panda »

My idea isn't a new block or a dramatically innovative idea, but a simple one. For some players I've found that some people search endlessly and find no wolves. My idea is as follows: go into a forest biome and throw pork or steak on the ground, this has a random chance (1 out of 10 maybe?) to spawn a wolf where the meat is. This seems realistic because if you left real meat in a forest something would show up to eat it.

(please be nice with my first post =])
Never say no to Panda.
BigShinyToys

Re: Realistic wolf finding.

Post by BigShinyToys »

I must say that that Could be a nice addition . But the chances would need to be low SO people cant just exploit it as a way to raise a Wolf army.
CreeperCommando

Post by CreeperCommando »

Not mean but perhaps frank.
1. There is already a workaround way as a temporary fix for tanning, until a BTW compatible with official vMC gets out and thus removing the problem as it's a biome related bug.
2. With above mentioned workaround, wolves are redundant unless you want to make companion cubes, which I admit are hard to live without, but you can survive with willpower :)
3. Your suggestion for a new biome specific spawn behaviour, which is dependent on place specific item-spotting behaviour could lead up to at least 3 base-class modifications.

If the end of the short term solution weren't so close, this would be discussable but I'd say it's the wrong tree to bark on.....
Ribky wrote:Right into the hibachi? Damn man, God hates your windmill more than he hates the uncircumcised.
FC wrote:"You have defeated zrog the mighty! Have a potato."
FC wrote: "Does Dung Float?"
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

CreeperCommando wrote:but I'd say it's the wrong tree to bark on.....
...I see what you did there.
CreeperCommando

BinoAl wrote:
CreeperCommando wrote:but I'd say it's the wrong tree to bark on.....
...I see what you did there.
.....Which I didn't see until you pointed it out...
Wow I've reached a level were bad and dry puns are basic instincts D:
Ribky wrote:Right into the hibachi? Damn man, God hates your windmill more than he hates the uncircumcised.
Panda

Post by Panda »

Mhh... i still feel this mod is TOO reliant on wolves even though its "better than wolves" i thought baiting wolves to find them sounded reasonable. aside from the coding aspect i wanted to throw out an alternative, cause it seems like finding wolves is either hit or miss, black or white, wolves are abundant or scarce depending on your map. this seemed like a easy way to balance the difficulty of finding wolves for some maps.
Never say no to Panda.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

darkpollopesca wrote:Mhh... i still feel this mod is TOO reliant on wolves even though its "better than wolves"
Oh boy, we've got one of "those".
CreeperCommando

As I pointed out before, implementations set aside. The problem is that in the full release of vMC, the wolf problem is pretty much fixed (what I've heard) and thus this gets quickly redundant as soon as MCP + Modloader + Forge are updated... If This update however wouldn't be available for the next couple of months or other delay of wolf friendlier biomes were to happen, this would be a good point of discussion.

There dung producing capabilities is missed by me too, but with wood tanning.... I've been doing good, was actually fun stealing pine trees from a foreign island.
Right now they aren't a necessity IMO

Btw, origin of name of mod is unrelated to your statement.
Deepsniper

Post by Deepsniper »

It's not too complicated to do that and actually I have written some code to spawn me some wolves. It costs me 8 bones and 1 diamond just to spawn it so its pretty balanced as far as I find.

If you would like the code just PM me about it and I'll have to dig it up. I haven't really touched the code since but I've got a couple interesting tools for wolves and animals built into it.

It doesn't use blocks so it works with any mod.
Panda

Post by Panda »

ahhh...... sorry FC i dont mean to be one of those.... i just never get maps with wolves..... *sad face
Never say no to Panda.
Deepsniper

Post by Deepsniper »

darkpollopesca wrote:ahhh...... sorry FC i dont mean to be one of those.... i just never get maps with wolves..... *sad face

XD well man you do know that since 1.8 wolves are the only creature to not spawn and to despawn?
CreeperCommando

I mentioned baseclass modding mostly about work/whatyouget ratio and about the idea of throwing out an item would have a chance to create a spawn instance, I believe it's the latter that would be the time consuming bit (note it was suggested to be biome specific to).
If you could use the 'throw egg' code and its spawn on point code, it would seem as simple as create a new craftable item, copy paste the egg code and then ingame craft and throw it. It feels like though that 'dropping pork' code would create more headache IMO..... As I said before I'm just frank about the idea and honestly these points aren't that meaningful though compared that the problem (wolf biomes hard to find) will likely soon be solved.
Deepsniper

Post by Deepsniper »

Lmao that's exactly what my codes do. You "use" the item and a wolf will spawn at your feet. It is a semi complicated code but it works and doesn't use any base class mods.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

darkpollopesca wrote:ahhh...... sorry FC i dont mean to be one of those.... i just never get maps with wolves..... *sad face
I was talking about arguing for features based on the mod name, or saying the mod should work a particular way due to the name.

When it comes to functionality: the name is just a name. There are very specific reasons for the name that I have explained at length many many times. When people misunderstand the reasoning behind it, I find it tiresome at best.
CreeperCommando

Deepsniper wrote:Lmao that's exactly what my codes do. You "use" the item and a wolf will spawn at your feet. It is a semi complicated code but it works and doesn't use any base class mods.
Ah use it as in no dropping nor throwing it? then I wouldn't see to much difficulties, as you clearly have proven. :) Is it biome specific?
Deepsniper

Post by Deepsniper »

Nope, anyplace anywhere and if your really crewel you can do it so they fall in your hibachis :P jk

But yeah I'm diggin it up right now as soon as I found it I'll give you guys the link. Its an unfinished mod because I was planning on getting other things done with it but school took over my life.
dariys

Post by dariys »

The biggest problem with wolves right now is that they despawn if they are not tamed, which means, by the time you see a pine forest, and head to it - if it has taken you more than a minute, the wolves there have likely despawned.

I've fixed this myself after reading about this by modifying the wolf class to set CanDespawn = false, in all cases, not just if the wolf is tamed. Suddenly, much easier to find wolves.

The other thing I've thought is that if you set your view/render settings to minimal, that the chunks wouldn't be created until you are right on top of them, and then give you more time to get to the wolves - but I haven't actually tested that.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

dariys wrote: The other thing I've thought is that if you set your view/render settings to minimal, that the chunks wouldn't be created until you are right on top of them, and then give you more time to get to the wolves - but I haven't actually tested that.
I could be wrong, but I do not believe that render distance affects the distance at which chunks are loaded.
Zhil

Post by Zhil »

FlowerChild wrote:I could be wrong, but I do not believe that render distance affects the distance at which chunks are loaded.
I think you are wrong, I think it does influence it. I'm not sure, but I *think* it does, supported too by the fact that changing render distance reloads all the chunks and the fact that rendering is not the reason for lag on any but the most crappy PCs, chunk loading and saving seems to be the biggest issue for these low end systems.

I could well be wrong though.
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
dariys

Post by dariys »

So I tried this out - not finding wolves, but whether the render distance affects the number of chunks. Loaded a new world, and ran in a straight line.

On Tiny - the map appears to be ~20-21 chunks across. On Far, the map appears to be ~30 chunks across. 10 chunks is probably still too far to cover in any reasonable amount of time to prevent the wolves from despawning.
Dogon11

Post by Dogon11 »

Why dont you make it so that if you throw the meat, it will have a certain chance of a wolf spawning in the nine loaded chunks around you, and then slowly making that wolf wander towards the meat.