Soulshaper

If you want to get banned, this is the place to post.
Crazylemon64

Soulshaper

Post by Crazylemon64 »

The whole spiel:
Spoiler
Show
There are many BTW blocks that produce unique effects, almost impossible to replicate without the mod, such as turntables, and platforms. There are also quite a few blocks in BTW that go beyond what the crafting table can do, such as the millstone, and the crucible. What I'm suggesting here is a block, that similar to the cauldron, has an inventory that can be filled with reagents to work with. However, this block has a more... direct effect on the world. Say, you put a filament and some iron in the block, and activate it somehow (Mech/RS power?), and it would spawn a lightning bolt, or gunpowder and a water bucket, and it would deal damage as a small explosion would within the radius, without actually harming blocks, as TNT in water would. These don't have to be reactions with the block, as these are examples, but I'm sure a mod like this with a myriad of many items and blocks like this one could easily come up with plenty.
EDIT: As this idea has grown and collected more and more bits and pieces, the reaction/clockwork block has turned into something much cooler and integrated: the 'Soulshaper', which is fueled by souls, releasing their power by crushing them with a millstone, unleashing the eldritch effects of the souls on the nearby surroundings, which you can harness and manipulate by placing items within this 'Soulshaper'.
TL; DR: Crush souls for fun and profit and a cheap expendable labor source!
Last edited by Crazylemon64 on Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:13 am, edited 3 times in total.
Shengji

Re: Reaction block

Post by Shengji »

Your post made me think about being able to consciously call lightning - imagine a really powerful machine which did or made something which was very advanced, but needs a lightning strike onto a conducting tower connected to it to make it work!
7 months, 37 different border checks and counting.
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

Shengji wrote:Your post made me think about being able to consciously call lightning - imagine a really powerful machine which did or made something which was very advanced, but needs a lightning strike onto a conducting tower connected to it to make it work!
You mean the flux capacitor? XD
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
Kwilt

Post by Kwilt »

jorgebonafe wrote:
Shengji wrote:Your post made me think about being able to consciously call lightning - imagine a really powerful machine which did or made something which was very advanced, but needs a lightning strike onto a conducting tower connected to it to make it work!
You mean the flux capacitor? XD
And now, it's time for my obligatory BttF references.

"When this minecart hits 88 blocks per second, you're gonna see some serious shit."

"Tracks? We don't need tracks where we're going."

"Great Notch!"

Image (<--------------- Click me to watch live!)
BigShinyToys

Post by BigShinyToys »

KWilt wrote: And now, it's time for my obligatory BttF references.

"When this minecart hits 88 blocks per second, you're gonna see some serious shit."

"Tracks? We don't need tracks where we're going."

"Great Notch!"
Is it just me or did you read that in the professors voice to.

Lol nice one :)
the_fodder

Post by the_fodder »

Whoa, this is heavy. Could this be used as a way around the limited blockIDs and to use the more abundant ItemIDs instead?

I am really liking the idea of block that depending on which items are placed in its inventory would perform different tasks. I am thinking of it like a solderless breadboard or project box, just something to hold what you are creating. As this feels like it would fit in a later tech level I will use existing items as example to demonstrate how I think it would work without limiting potential with crap/half thought out "features".
1:place block
2:Right click on bock brings up the 3x3 grid
3:Place recipe in grid (4 wood + 4 gears + 1 redstone)
4:magic
5: block now acts as a Gear box.

Rinse & repeat for the Saw, turntable, detector block,Hibachi, ... basically anything that doesn't have a inventory or right click feature.

Using colored wool use of damage values as an example we could have 16 different blocks for each blockid used (Well 16 unique graphics) but I really shouldn't go "the code" aspect of the idea as I have shown how much I know about that in the past.

(Waiting on FC or someone else who actually knows about coding Minecraft shoot a hole right through the middle of this idea)

P.S. Crazylemon64 I would suggest using a more descriptive title Reaction block doesn't really translate to what you are suggesting.
It's FC mod, he just lets us play it.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

the_fodder wrote:Whoa, this is heavy. Could this be used as a way around the limited blockIDs and to use the more abundant ItemIDs instead?
No, not really, as giving the block an inventory, means that it needs a Tile-Entity. If you have a Tile-Entity assigned to a block you can cram as much data into it as you want and use it for multiple "blocks". That's what Eloraam does on RedPower to get a ton of functionality in a single block ID.
the_fodder

Post by the_fodder »

Sounds like something you have already considered and dismissed it.

Damn!*looks at a second watch* Damn, Damn!

I should have know that I wasn't the first person to think of that.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

the_fodder wrote:Sounds like something you have already considered and dismissed it.
Yeah, using Tile Ents comes with a performance trade-off I'm not willing to make (not to mention that it causes pistons not to function on the blocks in question). I'm usually very careful about only using them where I absolutely need to.

The Unfired Pottery is the one big exception right now, and I'm currently recoding it to get rid of the Tile Ent.
Crazylemon64

Re: Clockwork block

Post by Crazylemon64 »

I can understand where you're coming from with a performance trade-off, given that my computer has quite a trouble playing MC in the first place. And as for what the name of this block should be, I don't have all that much of an idea of what it could be. If it would have effects similar to what the_fodder mentioned, given how the mod has a major clockwork vibe to it at this point in the tech tree, with gears, axles and things, "Clockwork block" might be a good name for it. However, using these for the integral parts of the mod might be fallacious, as FC stated, due to the fact that it would bring up more tile entities (and lag) than necessary. What I was thinking was having the block perform unique actions, such as infusing nearby sand with souls or something, or flattening out nearby cobblestone blocks into smooth stone, or growing moss on cobble, or using dung to accelerate growth rate, etc. that wouldn't be so commonplace as the gearbox is in this mod.
danielngtiger

Post by danielngtiger »

This could be possible, but most likely only with uncommon blocks, if a tile entity was used.
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright before you hear them speak.
Magmarashi

Post by Magmarashi »

I like the idea of a block that you insert the item pieces into and it changes the function, but yeah the T Entities would build.

Maybe if Mojang really knocks it out of the park in making Minecraft more stable and resource frugal, you could get away with commiting more to resource intensive options.
SCIENCE!
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

Or, you know, up the Block ID limit :P
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Crazylemon64 wrote:I can understand where you're coming from with a performance trade-off, given that my computer has quite a trouble playing MC in the first place. And as for what the name of this block should be, I don't have all that much of an idea of what it could be. If it would have effects similar to what the_fodder mentioned, given how the mod has a major clockwork vibe to it at this point in the tech tree, with gears, axles and things, "Clockwork block" might be a good name for it. However, using these for the integral parts of the mod might be fallacious, as FC stated, due to the fact that it would bring up more tile entities (and lag) than necessary. What I was thinking was having the block perform unique actions, such as infusing nearby sand with souls or something, or flattening out nearby cobblestone blocks into smooth stone, or growing moss on cobble, or using dung to accelerate growth rate, etc. that wouldn't be so commonplace as the gearbox is in this mod.
Just a small request:

Could you try to be a bit less verbose in these suggestion threads? Honestly, my eyes glazed over on the first couple of sentences of your idea (all the preamble REALLY wasn't necessary), and the same thing just happened with the quoted post above.

Sorry man, but I read through quite a lot of posts during a day, so unless a suggestion is succinct, I will likely just scan it over and pass it by if the gist of it isn't immediately apparent.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

FlowerChild wrote:Just a small request:

Could you try to be a bit less verbose in these suggestion threads? Honestly, my eyes glazed over on the first couple of sentences of your idea (all the preamble REALLY wasn't necessary), and the same thing just happened with the quoted post above.

Sorry man, but I read through quite a lot of posts during a day, so unless a suggestion is succinct, I will likely just scan it over and pass it by if the gist of it isn't immediately apparent.
*takes notes*
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Crazylemon64

Post by Crazylemon64 »

FlowerChild wrote:
Spoiler
Show
Just a small request:

Ok, let's see if I can sum this up in a sentence or two:

Put items in, power block, stuff happens with nearby world e.g. crops grow faster.

Is that concise enough?
It's hard to come up with a non-generic name for some unique block like this. Eh, it's probably too much effort for what it's worth.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

I must admit, I like the idea of a block that once set up, will gradually affect the world around it in one way or another. Perhaps not costlessly (soul urns for fuel?) but...I guess it having vast amounts of potential uses down the line is a mark in it's favour.

Mechanical power doesn't fit though. However I look at it....The name and the description are the idea's weakest points. I'll see if I can come up with something?
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Crazylemon64

Re: Soulshaper

Post by Crazylemon64 »

Stormweaver wrote:I must admit, I like the idea of a block that once set up, will gradually affect the world around it in one way or another. Perhaps not costlessly (soul urns for fuel?) but...I guess it having vast amounts of potential uses down the line is a mark in it's favour.

Mechanical power doesn't fit though. However I look at it....The name and the description are the idea's weakest points. I'll see if I can come up with something?
Sounds good, SW. A block that could exert effects on the world was the idea I was trying to get at, and a name for it that isn't an anachronism is going to be quite a challenge to find indeed!

In fact, clockwork is an entirely different suggestion, and has little to do with this, but would still be a great feature to add to BTW.

And as for the name, this placeholder should do for now: "Soulshaper". Yes, now that I think of it, having trapped souls do the dirty work (i.e. terraforming for you) fits the current moral bent of the mod quite nicely. And as for working mechanical power into this, I think including a millstone in the construction in order to 'coerce' the souls in the urn to work for you would mesh with the theme quite nicely... Or am I being sadistic here?
Stormweaver

Re: Soulshaper block

Post by Stormweaver »

Crazylemon64 wrote: Sounds good, SW. A block that could exert effects on the world was the idea I was trying to get at, and a name for it that isn't an anachronism is going to be quite a challenge to find indeed!

In fact, clockwork is an entirely different suggestion, and has little to do with this, but would still be a great feature to add to BTW.

And as for the name, this placeholder should do for now: "Soulshaper block". Yes, now that I think of it, having trapped souls do the dirty work (i.e. terraforming for you) fits the current moral bent of the mod quite nicely. And as for working mechanical power into this, I think including a millstone in the construction in order to 'coerce' the souls in the urn to work for you would mesh with the theme quite nicely... Or am I being sadistic here?
Soulshaper...it's got a ring to it.

Best to focus on uses and justification, leaving the implementation to FC tbh. If he likes a concept and it's justified, he'll decide how it would be implemented anyways. So, lets try some detailling, in the way of a set of bullet points.
- Block/potential multi-block constuct
- Uses/empties soul urns over time for fuel (could use ground netherack, soul sand as a cheap, but short term alternative)
- Affects blocks/entities within a radius of itself, for example having a 5x5x5 AOE
- Each effect could possibly have drawbacks of some kind

- Effects of block are dependant on an item placed within it, could use them up over time
- bonemeal: speeds up growth of plants/saplings over time
- seeds: cause wildgrass and flowers to grow on nearby grass blocks
- mushrooms: cause mushrooms to grow nearby, 1.9+ convert grass blocks to...mushroomgrass.
- Stone: convert nearby dirt, gravel, cobblestone to stone.
- netherrack: convert nearby stone, dirt into nethherrack. nearby sand, gravel into soul sand
- Glowstone dust: convert nearby ? into glowstone blocks rarely
- Concentrated hellfire: spawn fire randomly on nearby blocks. melt nearby snow/ice
- Snow/snowballs: change nearby water into ice, lava into obsidian/cobblestone

...you get the idea. Generic AOE block that does things.
the_fodder

Post by the_fodder »

Crazylemon64 wrote:
Ok, let's see if I can sum this up in a sentence or two:

Put items in, power block, stuff happens with nearby world e.g. crops grow faster.

Is that concise enough?
It's hard to come up with a non-generic name for some unique block like this. Eh, it's probably too much effort for what it's worth.
I don't want to put words in FC mouth but don't think he meant you needed to wrap it up in one sentence. As I tend to do the same thing he mentioned this is how I read yours (not saying that my posts are gold).

I can understand where you're coming from with a performance trade-off, I don't care about your computer. ....suck at naming things.... HAY! THAT'S ME! ... mod...buzzword..vibe...tech tree "Clockwork block" might be a good name for it...Repeating tile entities cause lag .. What I was thinking was having the block perform unique actions,...Examples of actions, some good =Mossy, some confusing =Dung that wouldn't be so commonplace as the gearbox is in this mod.

*not a dick*

I kind of derailed your idea with my 'project box' tangent, sorry. Now that I further understand what you were suggesting I like the "Soulshaper block" modifying the surrounding blocks with a 'memory imprint' of the item contained within *spooky*. If I am not mistaken I think FC mentioned he was thinking of a way to create mossy stones, might also be a useful for the wolf shortage.
Crazylemon64

Post by Crazylemon64 »

Good ideas so far, let's see if I can build off.
  • Mushrooms also convert cows to mooshrooms.
  • Glowstone could cause the nearby area to remain sunlit even during night.
  • Water bucket: Nearby dirt/sand turn to clay, with a significant loss chance. Also, stone, cobble and gravel erode, 'leveling down' from stone to cobble, etc. down to sand.
  • Farming implements could be used to have the souls autoharvest crops, but depending on tool quality would allow chance for hemp in particular to have the base block broken. However, this obsoletes and simplifies other farming systems, so may not be a good idea.
  • Soul sand: Acts as a spawner for random monsters.
  • Bow + arrows would let the souls man the turrets, but since you bound them, they wouldn't be choosey with who they shot.
  • Gear: Allows the soulshaper to provide mechanical power.
  • Hellfire needs to set nearby entities on fire as well. The player gets torched instantly within the area, due to grudges.
Actually, I have a suggestion that's only relevant in vanilla in the context of 1.9, but could give experience a use in 1.8 in the context of BTW, but I feel it'll only be truly relevant in the context of when 1.9 comes out.

And as for you, fodder, I forgive you. I think SW and I managed to re-rail this thread, but I think your suggestion would work better in a clockwork system.
KriiEiter

Post by KriiEiter »

Not to dump on your parade, but this seems like a mod all its own, and not really something that would easily fit anywhere into BTW.

I think perhaps people are taking the whole souls thing a little farther than it needs to go.

Honestly I think if this block did one to three different things tops, it could work. But having one block(or multiblock system) do basically everything that other individual blocks can do, seems over the top.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

KriiEiter wrote:Not to dump on your parade, but this seems like a mod all its own, and not really something that would easily fit anywhere into BTW.

I think perhaps people are taking the whole souls thing a little farther than it needs to go.

Honestly I think if this block did one to three different things tops, it could work. But having one block(or multiblock system) do basically everything that other individual blocks can do, seems over the top.
I can only speak for myself here, but on that: we're already using souls for manual labour. In our armour, our tools. This is an extension, and not the farthest one I've seen. Otherwise, this is something called brainstorming - you take a concept, throw a load of ideas against a wall, see what sticks. If what sticks has a pattern, you take that pattern and refine it.

Don't be so quick to judge an idea that's recovering from a thread de-rail. Why not, say, contribute? You say the proposed block should do "One to three different things tops" - that sounds fair. Any opinion on what those things should be? how broadly do you define things? etc etc etc. Not to dump on your opinion or anything.

On topic: for the purposes of focus, should the block mainly:
- Change the world around it (change one block type to another)
-or-
- Add to the world around it (the growth, spawning parts)
Urian

Post by Urian »

It sounds pretty much like the terraformer from IC (don't know if it's in IC2 as well). An interesting block to play around with but with a very high risk of totally messing up your world (and caused quite a bit of lag).
FlowerChild: Ice in deserts is a good idea
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

(and caused quite a bit of lag)
Yeah, but don't forget something... Did you see the range of that thing? Its like.... infinite... A block with a limited range would not even come close in terms of lag.
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.