Making videos

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
diegokilla

Re: Making videos

Post by diegokilla »

Urian wrote: For compressing, I've found the freeware VirtualDub to be very good. I still use After Effects for editing but I think that it's possible to do it in VirtualDub as well (I think that's what Etho does at least)
Do you compress pre or post edit?
TheYaMeZ

Post by TheYaMeZ »

Urian wrote: For compressing, I've found the freeware VirtualDub to be very good. I still use After Effects for editing but I think that it's possible to do it in VirtualDub as well (I think that's what Etho does at least)
VirtualDub probably uses x264 for encoding, but if it edits half decently I suppose i'll get it as soon as I need to chop my videos up. Cheers for the suggestion!
diegokilla wrote:Do you compress pre or post edit?
If you want good quality i'm assuming you'd compress it after all the editing.
Confused on how to build a two-floor elevator? Check my tutorial
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

You should always compress before editing.
And yeah, VD is perfect for encoding.
diegokilla

Post by diegokilla »

I played with VD briefly a while back, but found that vegas handled the job of compression nicely. But since my trial for vegas ran out and I had to do a re-install and such, I haven't been able to get the settings right. It always gives me black borders -.- My wife uses Corel something-or-other, and her videos come out pretty nicely.
Urian

Post by Urian »

Always compress after editing :) I'm compressing with VD using xvid for video and lame mp3 for audio, so far I'm satisfied with that.
FlowerChild: Ice in deserts is a good idea
diegokilla

Post by diegokilla »

Gah, I guess I'll worry about it later. No point in worrying about it until I have some decent content worth capturing on video :P
Rugaard

Post by Rugaard »

i would love to record videos but i cant afford any of those recorders, is there any that are free to use?
Urian

Post by Urian »

Rugaard wrote:i would love to record videos but i cant afford any of those recorders, is there any that are free to use?
Probably, if you google it you find lots of results. Here's one that sounds like it might be ok(although I haven't tried it so I can't evaluate it myself): http://camstudio.org/
JWA

Post by JWA »

Confirmed; Camstudio appears to work quite well and is free so far. Haven't tried all the features yet so they may charge for certain effects or something.
Rugaard

Post by Rugaard »

thanks ill give it a try
ToonYoshi

Post by ToonYoshi »

I used to use. Like, I think it was CamStudio? Idk, but it was really good.
Yo Dawg I Herd You Liek Derp, So I Put a Herp Derp in for Your Derp So You Can Herp Derp That Derp Dawg.
sargunv
Site Admin

Post by sargunv »

ToonYoshi wrote:I used to use. Like, I think it was CamStudio? Idk, but it was really good.
Yep, I used to use it too. It was pretty good. Never tried it with MC though.
ToonYoshi

Post by ToonYoshi »

sargunster wrote:
ToonYoshi wrote:I used to use. Like, I think it was CamStudio? Idk, but it was really good.
Yep, I used to use it too. It was pretty good. Never tried it with MC though.
Yea, I only used it with Maplestory. (Sucky game now. Nexon only wants your money.) It lagged it a little.
Yo Dawg I Herd You Liek Derp, So I Put a Herp Derp in for Your Derp So You Can Herp Derp That Derp Dawg.
Senjai

Post by Senjai »

Urian, you can use any music you want on youtube, provided that the main purpose of the video is not the reproduction of the song (copyright loophole) you also have to link the soundtrack with itunes so viewers can buy it if they want to.
The person who risks nothing, Does nothing, has nothing, and is nothing. They may avoid suffering and sorrow,
But they cannot learn, feel, change, grow, love, live.
Only the person who risks can be free
diegokilla

Post by diegokilla »

Senjai wrote:Urian, you can use any music you want on youtube, provided that the main purpose of the video is not the reproduction of the song (copyright loophole) you also have to link the soundtrack with itunes so viewers can buy it if they want to.
I'm not 100% sure on how legally correct this is but quoted directly from youtube is:

"What is copyright infringement? Copyright infringement occurs when a copyrighted work is reproduced, distributed, performed, publicly displayed, or made into a derivative work without the permission of the copyright owner."

So I would be careful, but generally, as long as your vid doesn't get millions and millions of hits nobody would prolly bother you about it.

But on the other hand there is the whole "Fair Use" shit. That's a whole 'nother can of worms though :P
ToonYoshi

Post by ToonYoshi »

diegokilla wrote:
Senjai wrote:Urian, you can use any music you want on youtube, provided that the main purpose of the video is not the reproduction of the song (copyright loophole) you also have to link the soundtrack with itunes so viewers can buy it if they want to.
I'm not 100% sure on how legally correct this is but quoted directly from youtube is:

"What is copyright infringement? Copyright infringement occurs when a copyrighted work is reproduced, distributed, performed, publicly displayed, or made into a derivative work without the permission of the copyright owner."

So I would be careful, but generally, as long as your vid doesn't get millions and millions of hits nobody would prolly bother you about it.

But on the other hand there is the whole "Fair Use" shit. That's a whole 'nother can of worms though :P

Youtube is strict about this dude. My crappy video only got 25 views and I got a 2 day ban for using a copyrighted song.
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

ToonYoshi wrote:Youtube is strict about this dude. My crappy video only got 25 views and I got a 2 day ban for using a copyrighted song.
Man, youtube is terrible nowadays. I miss old youtube :,(
ToonYoshi

Post by ToonYoshi »

BinoAl wrote:
ToonYoshi wrote:Youtube is strict about this dude. My crappy video only got 25 views and I got a 2 day ban for using a copyrighted song.
Man, youtube is terrible nowadays. I miss old youtube :,(
Ikr. Some people got banned cause others Flagged their video saying they "Have rights to ownership on their voice".

They sent in a request to help to youtube, and youtube sent back a bunch of bull shit about reading the Terms and Agreements.
Urian

Post by Urian »

YouTube are indeed quite strict regarding what songs are allowed. I decided to avoid the hassle of trying to find out which songs are allowed and which aren't of the more well known artists and insatead take my songs from Incompetech's royalty free songs.
Urian

Post by Urian »

Hmm, long movies at higher resolutions take quite a lot of space. My previously largest movie size was about 50 Mb post rendering, I'm now trying to upload a 3,68 Gb movie... Luckily YouTube mainly restrict the length and not so much the size of movies :)
HavokSCOUT

Post by HavokSCOUT »

I have a wee problem. When I try to play Minecraft on the downloaded side, it says that Minecraft can not detect an advanced open gl. To be able to play Minecraft with mods, i have to disable some settings that allows fraps to run. I have a Dell optiplex GX520, so I think it would be the video card that's that problem and not my lack of software.
Spoiler
Show
Brony, and proud of it
CheGiuAn wrote:ppl should have faith, not religion....
Katalliaan wrote:It's a tech shrub, more like
MagikEh wrote: D: THE SEEKRET OF SYRUPEY BEAVER NIPPLES HAS BEEN EXPOSED!!! ABORT~!~!
Zenofire

Post by Zenofire »

I use Frapps to record Video.
Audacity for audio.
Sony Vegas Pro 9 puts it all together.

And its not really for my minecraft videos but I use XviD4PSP to edit down extremely large/ HQ files so that Vegas can handle it without lag.
I also use Prism Video File Converter if Vegas can't handle the file type.
And finally, Cam Studio to record desktop.
BuLLZ3Y3

Post by BuLLZ3Y3 »

I used to use Sony Vegas Pro, but I lost it when we moved. A three-hundred friggin' dollar program right out the window...*lesigh* I had an HD video Capture card that I used as well. Can't remember the specs on it, but I used it to record footage of I and my friends' MLG games so we could rewatch and better ourselves. Oh, and to make montages. XD

-BuLLZ3Y3
darknessLPs

Post by darknessLPs »

To record my let's plays I use camtasia studio recorder, because it will record any part of the screen and not just a program window like fraps, and to edit I jump between camtasia studio's built in editing software and sony vegas pro depending on what exactly I need done.
JWA

Post by JWA »

So I've been trying to make a video with Cam Studio, and I'm having some trouble. First I tried having it just record the window. For both minecraft and another game, it recorded but the image looks like I'm standing to the side, very distorted. I tried recording normally and it works for minecraft at least but it seems like it keeps skipping frames. I don't think I've really messed with any of the settings, but is there something I could have messed up or need to change in order to fix this? I'm gonna try it with audio to see if its distorted, but the framerate in game seems to be okay...