Version 4.AABBBbbb Help [Spoilers]

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
jackatthekilns

Version 4.AABBBbbb Help [Spoilers]

Post by jackatthekilns »

I've been trying to work out the interaction with the clay over for about 20 min and all I can do is put in a single item (not a stack) into or out of the oven. I cannot get any fuel in. I imagine it will make sense once I know, but I'm stumped.
LannyRipple

Re: Version 4.AABBBbbb Help [Spoilers]

Post by LannyRipple »

Spoiler
Show
There's both a slot for food and a slot for fuel. I can only insert a single food and can't remove (or switch out) my fuel once inserted. Hoping I'm overlooking something as well.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

LannyRipple wrote:Hoping I'm overlooking something as well.
I'm curious what is behind this sentiment: is it mid to late game bulk smelting functionality you're concerned with losing, or the early game storage?

Those are the only two bits I can think of that are potentially degraded by this change. Later game smelting I will likely be investing additional work into in the near future. Using the oven as early game storage was one of the problems this change was intended to address.
jackatthekilns

Post by jackatthekilns »

LannyRipple wrote:
Spoiler
Show
There's both a slot for food and a slot for fuel.\
Ok, got it now.
I'm curious what is behind this sentiment: is it mid to late game bulk smelting functionality you're concerned with losing, or the early game storage?
And this confirms that the single item at a time is the intended functionality. The inability to smelt in bulk would seem to negate the benefit of using birch, if I'm not totally wrong. Or at least it would make the distinct 4 logs to 5 ore ratio unimportant. I guess the birch would still burn longer. None of this is meant as a complaint. just an observation. I completely get the desire to remove furnaces as early game storage, that makes sense.

EDIT: it does seem like the fuel cannot be taken out. so if I change my mind on the fuel, or want to see how much is in there, I cannot.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

jackatthekilns wrote:want to see how much is in there, I cannot.
That you can see actually.
LannyRipple

Post by LannyRipple »

FlowerChild wrote:
LannyRipple wrote:Hoping I'm overlooking something as well.
I'm curious what is behind this sentiment.
Oops. I should have watched this thread. I posted a follow-up of sorts in the main release thread but I can sum up by saying the sentiment was driven by my reacting and not thinking. I'm one of those guys that would look at 7 food and know I should burn 3 planks and 8 sawdust or if I needed three glass I should use 2 spruce. The new mechanics are just plain different and I felt a little robbed. I was wrong. After playing around with the thing for a bit and honestly thinking about why you would make it work the way it does I realized both the beauty of the mechanics and how it fits much better into the tech tree.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Oh, no worries man. I appreciate the positive sentiment, but I took no offense. Was just curious if you had spotted issues with it I hadn't anticipated :)
LannyRipple

Post by LannyRipple »

FlowerChild wrote:Oh, no worries man. I appreciate the positive sentiment, but I took no offense. Was just curious if you had spotted issues with it I hadn't anticipated :)
Didn't think you would take offense. It's not like THINGS THAT WILL PISS OFF FLOWERCHILD aren't well documented on the forums for people to read if they care to. :) The tone was more a kick to my own pants for not giving the changes a chance.