Happy J.O.I. day!

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
DaveYanakov

Happy J.O.I. day!

Post by DaveYanakov »

This is a day when many people launch things into the air and celebrate as they explode. Five years ago, humans launched a thing into the sky that we really don't want to see explode.

At closest insertion, Juno will be travelling at 250,000 kilometers per hour, five times faster than New Horizons. As the fastest moving object in our solar system, it should be one hell of a show.
Better is the enemy of Good
Taleric

Re: Happy J.O.I. day!

Post by Taleric »

I downloaded the monitoring program from the JPL. The program has great details on the maneuver and mission profile. The program also has data on other ongoing missions like poor distant voyager 1&2.

I heard the JUNO mission did not initially plan to have a camera but reconsidered. Additionally the radiation is so great it will quickly toast the components and JPL will be ditching JUNO into jupiters atmosphere.

Ever since I got to watch Curiosity land "live" I have been so hyped to watch the execution phase of mission :D
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

DaveYanakov wrote: At closest insertion, Juno will be travelling at 250,000 kilometers per hour, five times faster than New Horizons. As the fastest moving object in our solar system, it should be one hell of a show.
You'd think that the fastest object in the solar system hitting something would be spectacular, but as a reminder that your expectations for a spectacle with celestial phenomena should always be tempered, I present the sound of two black holes colliding:

DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

Considering how far away those black holes were, the fact we could hear it from here is still impressive
Better is the enemy of Good
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

DaveYanakov wrote:Considering how far away those black holes were, the fact we could hear it from here is still impressive
Oh, totally. I just couldn't stop laughing the day that was released given the sound of two super massive objects colliding turned out to be a little "bloop". Really puts perspective on our place in the universe :)
MAZD1X1E

Post by MAZD1X1E »

FlowerChild wrote: I present the sound of two black holes colliding
Pfft. That's the sound of a bee crashing into the microphone...