Minecraft Is Too Easy (MITE) 1.6.4 MC Mod thoughts?

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
Taleric

Minecraft Is Too Easy (MITE) 1.6.4 MC Mod thoughts?

Post by Taleric »

Saw this on the weekend and skeptically gave it a try. I am always looking for evidence of BTW fleecing with these but it is so hard to remember what is vMC or not.

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/246 ... -mite-mod/

Nowhere close to BTW sophisticated, it is somewhat challenging. I am still prior to a first pick after two MC weeks.

Let me know if this mod has stolen any BTW content so I can drop it.
RandomObj3ct

Re: Minecraft Is Too Easy (MITE) 1.6.4 MC Mod thoughts?

Post by RandomObj3ct »

it has a few nice ideas and it certainly deals with the stone sword = invincibility 3 minutes into the game. It gets those issues right.
I think the start game is more inspired by terrafirmacraft than BTW, Terrafirmacraft sees you getting sticks from leaves and collecting rocks of the ground to make your first tools.

Not too fond of all the unnecessary fluff such as new ores, furnaces, mobs etc.
Health system will be a bitch, short accidental drops would be a huge killer, 3 shanks of food to start with is also just a bit steep, especially if it makes you weaker. The Health system with tougher mobs and trying to create 'nomadic style' of gameplay seems an odd combination to make.

My biggest issue is it also contains a few things put there without much reason other than to make things harder
e.g. "Player's hunger rate is increased while standing in the rain" What? i don't think i've ever heard of someone getting hungry from being rained on...

Once you have a copper pick it's back to normal. Without HC Spawn this mod can be uninstalled after you have a basic house set up as dying = spawning at home and spending 2 minutes of collecting your stuff. Penalizing death is the one thing no other mod but BTW has touched upon.

TL;DR: Quite a few nice ideas in theory but quite a bit of Fluff and things in there that are 'harder for the sake of harder'

oh and I got a chuckle out of one of the first few comments
"I disapprove of any mod that aims to make Minecraft, a game that's hard enough as it is, any harder. I will never use this mod as long as I live and breath. That's just my opinion though."
Why not? Because it would have made sense!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Hehehe...yeah, I chuckled at that same comment. Minecraft is already a hard game? Wtf kid? :)

As for the mod itself, nah man, a quick glance over the OP and I didn't see anything that reminded me of BTW in the least. The only thing that did was his seeming refusal to respond to the Mo'Forge crowd which makes him more than ok in my books ;)
Gunnerman21

Post by Gunnerman21 »

You think we should invite Avernite over here for some pointers ;) ? Or just leave him to his own ideas?

I can see some real potential in this mod, but I think the new ores are more like eye-candy for forge people.
Spoiler
Show
I am... THE TAXI MAN.
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

Beware the blight, a dread disease that can afflict your crops and ruin their yield
That was the only *literal* similarity to BTW, but it's a very tiny one, and honestly, judging by the overall goals of the mod, it may very well be an homage to BTW. I may actually give it a shot, but a lot of it feels a bit weird (Tiered furnaces?). I do like the early game though, while unoriginal, it's always how I thought vMC should have started things. Punching trees still bothers me ;)

EDIT: Damn, reading through the thread a bit, it does seem to have a lot of similarities with BTW. While some mods have ripped features right from btw, this one has some of the same early-game balance tweaks, such as no wood/stone hoes (So metal is needed to farm), jumping/running drains hunger so much faster it's more efficient to walk around hills, but then also goes a bit further in some respects. No villages spawn in MITE, tougher blocks drain more hunger to place/grab, and tools even break faster on tougher materials.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

It's fine guys. Let's not turn this into a big deal.

I'm thoroughly tired of big deals :P
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

FlowerChild wrote:It's fine guys. Let's not turn this into a big deal.

I'm thoroughly tired of big deals :P
Oh yeah, sorry, I didn't mean to make any implications about the mod, but reading my post again, it did come off that way
Taleric

Post by Taleric »

It has a ways to go for some balance but I am happy it stands apart. I think my BTW time has trained me well to make easy work to iron.

I thought I might get a boost at iron but it appears the dev is encouraging caving (durability pretty low).

Also the leveling is a neat idea and deaths compound to set you back negative. So if you botch things up it could be a long time before you even get above 3 hearts.
Zhil

Post by Zhil »

Oh wow, yeah, I'll have to try this one out. Looks pretty cool actually.
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
VegasGoat

Post by VegasGoat »

I tried this out last night. My first day went pretty well, I foraged a bunch of wheat seeds to stave off hunger, killed a few animals, and dug up some sand to surround myself for the night. Two spiders came for me in the night but they were easily dispatched from below since they couldn't reach me. The next morning I used some creepers to collect a lot of dirt, which I was planning to use for the next few nights' shelter. I found some clay to make an oven but didn't have enough time to dig it up before nightfall. Using my dirt to surround myself I made a fatal mistake and put it next to a hill. Before I could fix the mistake a skeleton locked on and killed me.

I don't like using the 4 pillars at night as "shelter", it seems cheesy. Really, though, that is only the first night. Using creepers the next day gave me enough dirt where I could have build something semi-permanent to use while depleting local resources.

I like how my death was entirely my fault, BTW trained me well but I'm so used to digging into the side of a hill that I panicked when out in the open with no easy way to dig. I should have built most of the shelter first before trying to get the clay. Super sniper skeletons mean you have to be in your shelter before they start spawning.

Having crafting take time is an interesting mechanic, it'll be good for having something to do at night until I can make a bed.

I'm definitely going to try this again. I feel like I can survive longer next time and make some real progress.
Taleric

Post by Taleric »

Yeah I ran into similar confusion with vanilla capabilities that I am not used to using.

Think I am burnt out unless a better design/update comes out. I progressed to pick multiple times to get a lame one shot death (enderman removed shelter block and skele shoots) or I get too far negative XP :(

I am sure eventually I would have a foot hold but I am not enjoying the beginning RNG.

Games that are close to the mark but just off send me running back to BTSM or BTW. Well honed progression and challenge require more tweaking and analysis than most people can offer I think.
Yhetti

Post by Yhetti »

This mod looks interesting, but it looks like he added in a lot more ores and gems and stuff like that. I haven't played it, but for the most part it seems like he added a lot more easy levels to the game rather than making the levels harder. A lot of the stuff feels like one of those mods where he was like "look more stuff for the game." The changes he did with the health and food are very intriguing however. He gets a lot of credit for realizing that minecraft is a childishly easy game, it almost looks like he saw BTW and was sort of inspired by it(not that he copied it).
jackatthekilns

Post by jackatthekilns »

FlowerChild, would you be all that upset if someone used a lot of your ideas for a mod for a higher version of MC? Assuming of course that they did not steal your actual code?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

jackatthekilns wrote:FlowerChild, would you be all that upset if someone used a lot of your ideas for a mod for a higher version of MC? Assuming of course that they did not steal your actual code?
Yeah, I'll try to sum this up as succinctly as I can:

Fuck right off.

:)

The modding community already uses many of my ideas in various mods and probably a lot of times without even knowing it as players will tend to suggest things from other mods without ever naming the original source. Don't go asking for me to put some kind of approval on any of that. In fact, just don't bother me about it at all.
RandomObj3ct

Post by RandomObj3ct »

FlowerChild wrote: The modding community already uses many of my ideas in various mods and probably a lot of times without even knowing it as players will tend to suggest things from other mods without ever naming the original source. Don't go asking for me to put some kind of approval on any of that. In fact, just don't bother me about it at all.
As a user of many mods I don't think I've seen much(at least in more mature mods, this is excluding 'did the forge tutorial without learning java and released a mod' cases) that is a certain rip off of BTW, there is similar stuff but it's not like windmills, hoppers and block dispensers are outlandish things that nobody else could possibly think of, on the other hand though you do have the best windmills, hoppers and block dispensers out of every mod so the temptation would be there.

If anything more mods need some similar stuff like animals collecting items and darker caves, all the simple little things that make BTW great I have never seen similar versions of.

Maybe we should deal with the heart of the problem, FlowerChild, stop having all the good ideas and the refining them to the point where they are damn hard to out do...
Why not? Because it would have made sense!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Like I said man, I just don't want to be bothered about it. I'm not raising a stink. I occasionally raise an eyebrow when something looks a little too familiar in a video I see, but that's where it begins and ends.

And I think most people here are familiar with the difference between me raising an eyebrow and raising a stink :)

But yeah, some noob to the forums popping in and asking if I'm cool with the mod being ripped off wholesale because he wants horses and mushroom biomes? Yeah...that deserves a "fuck off" right there.
chaoticneutral

Post by chaoticneutral »

I think most similarities can be explained by convergent evolution - both MITE and BTW try to address the same problems in MC; at least some solutions will be similar, as removing some wood tools, or adding metal to the fishing rod to make it a later tech.

I'd be willing to give it a try when I find enough time... but just from his list, I'm already seeing lots of "dead weight", as the new metals; I hope their purpose gets fleshed out with the time, but for now it's just weird.
--Who do you think you are, War?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Drop it please.

Yes, there are times when it's simply parallel design, and times when it's not.

Again, not something I want to dwell on.
chaoticneutral

Post by chaoticneutral »

FlowerChild wrote:Drop it please.
Sorry. Dropping it.

On another matter, having only three hearts is annoying. I get he wants Steve? to be fragile at the beginning, but it's almost like Steve? is made of paper.
--Who do you think you are, War?
Rob

Post by Rob »

I've been watching a few vanilla testers flail miserably on Youtube. The one guy had 40+ deaths by episode 3. O.o

I think the author's intentions with early game Steve is to make you fear mobs. It's something the BTW crowd is accustomed to, but others are not, running at the mobs thinking they can bare fist fight them. If a skeleton can one shot you, that would make me want to make sure I was in doors before dusk. It adds tension to the days activities.

I'd be interested in seeing a let's play that wasn't someone dying every 3 minutes from hunger. Lol.
VegasGoat

Post by VegasGoat »

Rob wrote:If a skeleton can one shot you, that would make me want to make sure I was in doors before dusk. It adds tension to the days activities.
It sounds good, but in practice it doesn't really work. Digging is severely limited without tools, so building a real shelter is out of the question especially when you have to spend most of the day foraging for food. The best you can do on short notice is the pillbox, but last night I just discovered that zombies can dig through it. I suppose they saw me from a mile away before I built it, or a recent change made them detect you through walls. So if you mess up and are still outside when it's dark, that's it, you're dead. There's no excitement of running the gauntlet to your shelter and just barely making it.

The mod is too punishing for early game deaths, to the point where if you die more than once you might as well just start a new world to erase the negative levels. That seems like poor design to me.

I'm going to give it up for now, and check back in a few weeks to see what kind of changes were made.
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

Yeah, it seems like the biggest issue here is the negative levels. With how often you'll die in the early game, it does *not* need to get harder each death