[1.5.2] [4.891124] Biomes O' Plenty 0.1.3 - BTW Edition

This sub-forum is dedicated to add-ons and texture packs for Better Than Wolves.
Adubbz

Re: [1.5.2] [4.891] Biomes O' Plenty 0.0.9 - BTW Edition

Post by Adubbz »

mogulus wrote:I have to ask, did you set the spawn rates of horses in said biomes to insanely rare? I've been searching for a little over an hour and can't find a single one.
They only spawn in certain biomes, read my 0.0.9 post i made earlier and it has a list of them.

If you still can't find them in said biomes, it's likely either a bug on my end for not doing something right (more likely) or alternatively something wrong on their end (less likely).
mogulus

Post by mogulus »

i wouldn't mention it without checking, i really don't want to waste your time. I checked twice and made sure I had the right biomes. I know I flew over multiple correct ones and never found anything. It actually didn't seem like anything was spawning in most of them at all.

I will continue flying about in creative because well, it's 5:30am, i've got nothing better to do :) but as it stands i'm pretty sure it's not working...
Time slows down in a high gravitational field. This fact is the pinion of my plan to destroy us all...
Adubbz

Post by Adubbz »

mogulus wrote:i wouldn't mention it without checking, i really don't want to waste your time. I checked twice and made sure I had the right biomes. I know I flew over multiple correct ones and never found anything. It actually didn't seem like anything was spawning in most of them at all.

I will continue flying about in creative because well, it's 5:30am, i've got nothing better to do :) but as it stands i'm pretty sure it's not working...
Nah, don't bother man. Probably is something wrong on my end in that case.

EDIT: Two things, are you using the second release of Better Than Horses and is something to do with [BiomesOPlenty] BetterThanHorses mentioned in the console at startup? If so, what is it?
mogulus

Post by mogulus »

I indeed am using the 2nd build of bth. I don't see anything mentioned at all at startup but at the risk of seeming like a complete moron by console you mean when the world first generates and it pops up like in chat? if so, all it says is the version of btw.
Time slows down in a high gravitational field. This fact is the pinion of my plan to destroy us all...
Adubbz

Post by Adubbz »

Oh no, i mean the console that lists "Loaded animation info for" and things like that. You might have to use MultiMC/the new launcher to get at it though.
mogulus

Post by mogulus »

yep. looking like a moron here for sure :)

sorry about that.
DNoved1

Post by DNoved1 »

Yup, it looks like I made a slight mistake when giving instructions on adding compatibility with BTH.
Spoiler
Show
Rather than use

Code: Select all

Class BTH = Class.forName("net.minecraft.src.BTHBetterThanHorses");
you actually need to use

Code: Select all

Class BTH = Class.forName("BTHBetterThanHorses");
This is because net.minecraft.src is the testing directory, but we compile into the default minecraft directory. My apologies on this mistake.
maxsi

Post by maxsi »

Pfilson wrote:
Adubbz wrote:Updated the OP to 0.0.9, properly removing witches from the Mystic Grove, adding compatibility with Better Than Horses allowing them them to spawn in certain biomes (Field, Grassland, Heathland, Prairie, Shrubland and Steppe), fixing willow trees and fixing the "BIOMESOP" worldtype in multiplayer.
Thank you for your continued support! :D Takes time to work out all of the little bugs.

Unfortunately 0.0.9 still has a bug. I thought this was just a server side one but it seems to be biome related as it happened in single player as well.

If you use the seed "Fractals of the Mists" it will hang while "Preparing spawn area" I tried looking at the world with MCEdit but it looks like it crashes before it writes anything out.

I tested similar seeds and Fractals of the Mist and Fractals of the Myst also hang at different %s, but Fractal of the Mists and Fractals of the M work just fine. So it seems like it's getting stuck with a certain biome..
about this i did some testing(using the last version from git)
and using that seed when i closed the mc it saved the chunks it already generated, on mc edit i marked the problematic chunk to not repopulate(don't repop) the opened the save agin, it started to generate and stop in a different chunk, doing so i was able to generate part o the lad around spawn to take good screenshots from mc edit and here are they:
Spoiler
Show
as i said if you mark the chunk to not repop the generator will carry on generating
Blazara wrote:Better Than Wolves: So seamless, you don't know what you've got into... ;)
Mesh

Post by Mesh »

So I'm loving this mod, however even with .9, I'm having terrain generation issues on my server and the same thing also happens on a friend's server. I'll start a new world with the "BIOMESOP" setting enabled, all will generate fine usually for a few minutes (I've been testing generation by using creative mode and flying in a set direction). After a few minutes I'll reach a cut off point where the server has stopped generating terrain, animals will stop moving and hitting them does nothing (it's like they aren't there, no reaction, no damage done, nothing). The server then crashes and goes offline a few minutes later.

Upon restarting the server, terrain generation then seems to continue as normal, for another minute or so before the server then grinds to a halt once more, however it still seems to be generating terrain just at an incredibly slower rate, (one chunk every 5 seconds perhaps), animals are stood still however move occasionally as if the server is just under extreme heavy load. In my most recent test I also noticed some terrain corruption too, I've spoilered some screenshots below on the off-chance that the type of corruption may mean something to you as the author.

This also happens to me in single player so it isn't just tied to the server. I can't wait till the little niggling bugs are ironed out of this mod, the biomes are truly gorgeous and add so much more depth to the game! I for one am extremely grateful for you porting this over to BTW :) Keep up the good work!
Spoiler
Show

Adubbz

Post by Adubbz »

Okay, the patcher is ready to test folks! However, it only comes in Windows and OSX flavours as i don't have Linux, nor do i want to setup a VM for it.

OSX: http://www.mediafire.com/download/le1el ... darwin.zip
Windows: http://www.mediafire.com/download/58wg2 ... -win32.zip

Also, this version may/may not fix the issues with world gen freezing. If it does, give your thanks to Pfilson, if not, then there's another bug to catch :/

To use it, follow these instructions:

1. Make a folder called 'btw' inside the unzipped folder
2. Place the BTW zip file inside the previously created 'btw' folder
3. Run patchbtw
4. Use the outputted BTWMod-BOP-Patched.zip file in the created patchedzip folder as you would as if it was just installing BTW regularly.

Apologies if that was slightly confusing, if it is and you can't work it out yourselves, let me know and i'll see what i can do about adding some pictures or something to explain it better.

PLEASE let me know of any bugs with either versions, they are extremely experimental and i want to make sure they work well before making them into what's actually distributed.

Also, if anybody notices it, i *may* have messed with the start up message in the console as a bit of a proof-of-concept thing with being able to patch classes that FC also has touched.

EDIT: One thing to note, Nitepistol mentioned that avast antivirus was reporting false positives for the Windows version, not sure if this will be the case for other antiviruses (I know mine was fine about it) but you may have to temporarily disable it.
ion

Post by ion »

there is no BTWMod-BOP-Patched.zip file after running the exe
maxsi

Post by maxsi »

just passing by to post a photo of the spawn of the seed "cirno"
Spoiler
Show
btw fell free to use this photo in the op to show this biome
obs: texture pack is pandoku
Blazara wrote:Better Than Wolves: So seamless, you don't know what you've got into... ;)
DiamondArms

Post by DiamondArms »

maxsi wrote:just passing by to post a photo of the spawn of the seed "cirno"
nice to see a fellow fan of the Beloved Tomboyish Girl.

Definitely looking forward to a stable build of this mod. Not sure if I should pick it up yet, seeing as there seem to still be some breaking bugs.
Pfilson

Post by Pfilson »

ion wrote:there is no BTWMod-BOP-Patched.zip file after running the exe
There should be a directory called patchedzip as well. Check there.
Gabecraft1234

Post by Gabecraft1234 »

I have been using MC patcher to install both BTW and BoP because MC Patcher also gives you the extended HD mod which allows my pc to run 128x texture packs with out massive lag. Will this method still be viable with the new version?
Adubbz

Post by Adubbz »

Gabecraft1234 wrote:I have been using MC patcher to install both BTW and BoP because MC Patcher also gives you the extended HD mod which allows my pc to run 128x texture packs with out massive lag. Will this method still be viable with the new version?
Anything that's viable with the regular better than wolves files, is viable with this new method. What it outputs is a patched replica of the BTW zip file only with all the adjustments made in order to make BOP BTW work.
Adubbz

Post by Adubbz »

Pfilson wrote:
ion wrote:there is no BTWMod-BOP-Patched.zip file after running the exe
There should be a directory called patchedzip as well. Check there.
Yup, however, this directory is only created after running the exe.
Gabecraft1234

Post by Gabecraft1234 »

So I can load the the single file that is combined BTW and BoP into MC patcher and it should work?
Adubbz

Post by Adubbz »

Gabecraft1234 wrote:So I can load the the single file that is combined BTW and BoP into MC patcher and it should work?
If it works with the zip file from regular BTW, then yes, it should work with this.
Mesh

Post by Mesh »

Well the generation bug is still there to a certain extent, it doesnt crash the server anymore but generation grinds to a halt, if you stand still and wait then the server will catch up most of the time after about a minute or two of very slow generating. During this time there is insane amounts of lag and some players will be kicked, maybe all of them, as if the server just can't hold the players in and using all its resources to try to keep up with terrain generation.

I checked my servers CPU usage stats (It's hosted on clanforge and I can access this data), and the CPU usage was off the charts during the slow generations times. Up to 300% over maximum. Even under normal play, the usage was at or close to 100% the whole time, leading me to believe this mod demands major CPU usage. Better than Wolves with vanilla biomes generally uses around 30% and below just as a point of reference.

I hope this helps in some way? It does seem to be linked to CPU usage rather than some form of terrain generation bug as such, at least in my case...
Pfilson

Post by Pfilson »

Mesh wrote:Well the generation bug is still there to a certain extent, it doesnt crash the server anymore but generation grinds to a halt, if you stand still and wait then the server will catch up most of the time after about a minute or two of very slow generating. During this time there is insane amounts of lag and some players will be kicked, maybe all of them, as if the server just can't hold the players in and using all its resources to try to keep up with terrain generation.
This sort of makes sense since there is a lot more going on in the generation. And for me I see server can't keep up messages even in vanilla MC after a HCS.

What seed are you using? is this mainly after a HCS or portal when a bunch of new chunks are being created at the same time or just when exploring?
Mesh

Post by Mesh »

This is just a fresh world, stress testing in Creative mode flying in random directions. I've seen "Server can't keep up" messages on a pure vanilla server (no BTW) at certain times to be honest, so seeing that message doesn't really mean much, however it does tend to help the CPU usage case. I mean I could post my CPU stats graph here but I don't think it's really necessary :)

I'll have to do a normal play test, instead of flying around in Creative, which does of course generate new chunks at a much faster rate. It's definitely better now than it was before this new patcher, there's no doubt about that. I'm no expert on Java, I've only done some basic programming for a simple personal BTW mod I made myself but I wasn't sure or not whether any optimisation can be done to reduce CPU load, I just thought I'd bring up the CPU usage as a possible/probable cause for the generation freezes so that the mod author can do whatever he feels appropriate.
Pfilson

Post by Pfilson »

ahh yeah that would push it more, the reason I was curious about seed as it could point at it being a specific biome or part of the generation that is taking more work and could be looked into..

As always the more detail the easier it is to track down the issue, especially with 50+ biomes lol. For the hanging issue I was just lucky I stopped the debugger where i did. Going through all of the code to find the 2 or 3 problem lines would have taken a lot longer.
seekee

Post by seekee »

Just thought I'd mention a generation quirk - villages in the field biome spawn with a lot of their buildings/structures 'on top' of the long grass, resulting in nearly everything 'floating' one block off the ground.

Great add-on, it's really made exploration fresh for me again. I appreciate your hands-on nature in this thread, too. Keep up the good work!
Gueroap11

Post by Gueroap11 »

Adubbz wrote:
Spoiler
Show
Okay, the patcher is ready to test folks! However, it only comes in Windows and OSX flavours as i don't have Linux, nor do i want to setup a VM for it.

OSX: http://www.mediafire.com/download/le1el ... darwin.zip
Windows: http://www.mediafire.com/download/58wg2 ... -win32.zip

Also, this version may/may not fix the issues with world gen freezing. If it does, give your thanks to Pfilson, if not, then there's another bug to catch :/

To use it, follow these instructions:

1. Make a folder called 'btw' inside the unzipped folder
2. Place the BTW zip file inside the previously created 'btw' folder
3. Run patchbtw
4. Use the outputted BTWMod-BOP-Patched.zip file in the created patchedzip folder as you would as if it was just installing BTW regularly.

Apologies if that was slightly confusing, if it is and you can't work it out yourselves, let me know and i'll see what i can do about adding some pictures or something to explain it better.

PLEASE let me know of any bugs with either versions, they are extremely experimental and i want to make sure they work well before making them into what's actually distributed.

Also, if anybody notices it, i *may* have messed with the start up message in the console as a bit of a proof-of-concept thing with being able to patch classes that FC also has touched.

EDIT: One thing to note, Nitepistol mentioned that avast antivirus was reporting false positives for the Windows version, not sure if this will be the case for other antiviruses (I know mine was fine about it) but you may have to temporarily disable it.
Followed instructions to a tee, I end up with no patch zip. The console shows for a few seconds then disappears quickly. I can see that the patcher found the btw zip because the contents are in the temp folder. I'm sure that the console is showing an error but it close before I can read it.