Flower's Dev Diary (week of May 27)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: Flower's Dev Diary (week of May 27)

Post by FlowerChild »

Rejoice! The chicken clicking footstep sounds are dead! :)

Christ, after Icy started talking about them in his videos, it's all I could ever hear anymore.
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

Hallelujah! Praise our spiky eldtritch overlord, for he has saved us!
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
BobSlingblade679

Post by BobSlingblade679 »

Those were supposed to be footsteps? Lol

I can't say I was actually 'annoyed' by them but I do know I kept wracking my brain as to what the fuck that sound was supposed to represent. Glad its gone. :)
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

I must be the only person here who kinda liked the clicking... Though I also like the crunching sound of gravel and have had many express disbelief about that.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Just a brief update:

The past few days I've been working on the port to 1.5.2 plus the replacement for Modloader within the mod. I've mentioned this before, but I wanted to do both at the same time as it's more efficient for me to work with a fresh decompile for this particular task.

This has been fairly tedious work, and I've been procrastinating a fair amount as a result (it probably shouldn't have taken me more than a day or two), hence why I've been relatively quiet ;)

My apologies, as I know quite a few people are waiting for it, but I may put off the stratifier for existing worlds a couple of releases because of this, as I know if I move straight into file-handing code (which is probably my all time least favorite development task) straight after doing this I will likely lose my shit :)

More likely, I will return to work on HC Villagers to give myself a gameplay task to work on before grinding through more infrastructure.

Anyways, almost done with this bit. Client port to 1.5.2 is done and working fine, and I just have a couple of hooks left to write to handle block and item names before porting the server.

The big benefit that you guys can expect of course is that writing SMP add-ons for BTW should be much more feasible after this release. I'll likely be putting a post up in the add-on section soon to explain the basics (and just the basics) of how to get an existing add-on working under the new system, as I've done things rather differently from ML in a few areas.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

That is awesome timing. DNoved was just asking me yesterday about how we should handle distribution and this news clears that right up.
Better is the enemy of Good
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

DaveYanakov wrote:That is awesome timing. DNoved was just asking me yesterday about how we should handle distribution and this news clears that right up.
Is this for the horse add-on or something else? Let me know if you need any particular hooks in the thread I created over in the add-on section, as I'd rather get them in now if possible.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

You got it. I'll try and get a list together of anything needed by tonight.

Turns out that the existing hooks will cover everything and it seems like the mod caller you added will cover everything else, including everything that was done for BWR.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Just wanted to give a brief update as to what's been going on given things have been a little slow around here.

About a week ago I started experiencing vision problems that didn't really allow me to code for more than an hour or so without getting headaches. As a result, things have not only seemed slow, but really have been slow :)

I probably don't need to tell any of you this, but not being able to code, and thus not being able to create games sucks pretty hard for a guy like me considering it's my primary passion. It's left me feeling distinctly "meh", "blah", and even a little phoogly.

I just saw the optometrist this morning and put in an order for a new pair of glasses, so I should be back to top fighting form within a couple of days and I can get back to the business of finishing the ML substitute thingy (which has been dragging on way longer than it should have as a result of this).

And, in my annual princess moment: it's my birthday and I doubt I'd want to code anyways. So there :)

I didn't have the foresight to build any phallic structures this year to mark the event, but I doubt I could top last year's anyways:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4491&hilit=birthday

That required a very specific kind of creative mood and high degree of visual acuity ;)
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Happy Birthday man :)

I get how you feel about the eye thing - I've been due a new prescription for a few months, judging by the ever-decreasing time I can spend in front of a screen -.-
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Stormweaver wrote: I get how you feel about the eye thing - I've been due a new prescription for a few months, judging by the ever-decreasing time I can spend in front of a screen -.-
Yeah, I've been due a very long time, but it was manageable before. It just seemed to cross some kind of invisible threshold last week where it suddenly wasn't :)

I can still obviously read just fine and such (wouldn't be writing this otherwise), but it just seems to take far more concentration now, which is obviously bad when you're trying to concentrate on writing the actual code rather than just seeing it ;)
Folrig

Post by Folrig »

Well, happy birthday FC!

Sorry to hear about the headaches. That rather sucks. I spend a lot of time giving my wife neck rubs and hand rubs for her headaches.

I'd offer, but it might be weird...so..Happy Birthday!!
This...all of this...is just...wonky!
DNoved1

Post by DNoved1 »

Happy birthday dude, and take all the breaks you need. None of us would be able to enjoy the awesome game that is BTW without your hard work, so I'd just like to thank you again for all of that. :)
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

Happy birthday man, may RTH make you the new notch ;)
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
destineternel

Post by destineternel »

Haaaapppy Birffday Flowerchild. *hic* In all seriousness have a good one. =D
<DaveYanakov> I know I overuse them and put them in inappropriate places but they just feel so good.
<icynewyear> shit is delicious
<MagikEh> Don't try to give me da D
Vexalor

Post by Vexalor »

Happy birthday, FC! Having had absolutely horrific vision all my life (uncorrected: -9.50 Diopter, or about 20/1000; can't be fully corrected, hence why it will soon be illegal for me to drive), I know how bad it can get when your vision gets in the way of what you want to do on any given day. Anyhow, enjoy your birthday, relax, play some BTW if you're able to do so, and take as long as you need with the 1.5.2 port and Modloader replacement.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Your vision thing scared me until I realized you just needed new glasses. Glad to hear that you'll be getting back into what you love soon! :D
logorouge

Post by logorouge »

Damn, you scared me for a sec there. Anyway, happy birthday!
Azdoine may have wrote:Well, we are harvesting souls [...] Sure, they get trapped in a piece of metal, but at least they get to see the world.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Thanks for the well wishes guys! Much obliged :)

Got me a twelve of beer and a powerful thirst for the occasion. Also achieved enlightenment today when I learned through experience some true birthday wisdom:

"Nothing says happy birthday like a cute doctor telling you that you need bifocals" ;)
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Imagining you with bifocals is blowing my mental image of you that I had based on previous statements... :P
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

The good news is that many cute doctors have a thing for bifocals
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Sarudak wrote:Imagining you with bifocals is blowing my mental image of you that I had based on previous statements... :P
Hehe...they don't even call them bifocals anymore, nor do they have the visible line down the middle, so you probably see people wearing them every day without realizing it.

However, an indication you're getting old by any other name... ;)
Caboose

Post by Caboose »

You had me going there until I got to the glasses bit, glad it's nothing big, Hippy Barfday, Flowerchild!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Caboose wrote:You had me going there until I got to the glasses bit, glad it's nothing big, Hippy Barfday, Flowerchild!
Actually, sorry guys, I wasn't trying to alarm people just trying to describe a sequence of events in the order they occurred.
magikeh

Post by magikeh »

:D Happy Birthday man, make sure to sleep in tomorrow ;)
Magical Shit
Show
Syruse|Work: i like magic shit
MagikEh: ...
MagikEh: >.>
MagikEh: <.<
»» MagikEh walks to the bathroom
Syruse|Work: hahaaaaaaaaa
Syruse|Work: wait
MagikEh: xD
Syruse|Work: fuck
Syruse|Work: NO