String usefulness

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
skrat6009

String usefulness

Post by skrat6009 »

While I do like the new found emphasis on sheep for wool (which makes more sense than spider silk) I am now curious what I am supposed to do with all this string I get from my mob trap? I don't see myself needing a lot of bows or fishing poles. You make it sound like silk might become a material but it's hard to tell if that's what you actually mean. I guess my real question is whether I should start tossing it from my mob trap or should I stockpile it for a feature that has yet to come?
Mason11987

Re: String usefulness

Post by Mason11987 »

skrat6009 wrote:While I do like the new found emphasis on sheep for wool (which makes more sense than spider silk) I am now curious what I am supposed to do with all this string I get from my mob trap? I don't see myself needing a lot of bows or fishing poles. You make it sound like silk might become a material but it's hard to tell if that's what you actually mean. I guess my real question is whether I should start tossing it from my mob trap or should I stockpile it for a feature that has yet to come?
While there may be future features (they do seem to never end), people have used string in a lot of decorative builds with stakes. I saw one involving a suspension bridge, can't find the image now though unfortunately.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Do you seriously think I'm going to answer these kinds of questions? Make your own decisions with the information at hand man.
Mud

Post by Mud »

Good opportunity to use stakes for large-scale building plans.
kamshaft1

Post by kamshaft1 »

Use them in making elements for hibachis and light blocks.
Solymr

Post by Solymr »

Time to try those tripwire traps.
CreeperCannibal

Post by CreeperCannibal »

If you don't have lenses yet your string could go towards a sort of telephone line given that the signal of the tripwire is 40 blocks of string.
"Kneel says the demon light
With its eye of coal
Sauron knows your license plate
And stares into your soul"
milkmandan

Post by milkmandan »

CreeperCannibal wrote:If you don't have lenses yet your string could go towards a sort of telephone line given that the signal of the tripwire is 40 blocks of string.
It's hard to clear an item from the string though to reset the signal.
FlowerChild wrote:
Ribky wrote:What did you do with bonemeal? And can I mix it with clay and smear it on myself for instant growth?
You'll be receiving an email soon with instructions on how to order my patented instant growth formula.
MaxAstro

Post by MaxAstro »

milkmandan wrote:It's hard to clear an item from the string though to reset the signal.
Have the item fall on a block that is held up by a vertical sticky piston that is extended, then retract it when you need to clear the signal.
"In the near future, the apocalypse has had an apocalypse."
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

See...if someone had been thinking during developing the "redstone update", having a redstone device that tugs on a string would have been far more useful, intuitive, and interesting than most of the stuff they did wind up adding.

BTW has the Lens already, so not something I'd develop myself, but for vanilla, that would have been pretty choice.