[4.899999][Whitelist] BTW Official Co-Op Server

This is the place for SMP server threads, and for general server discussion.
CycloneSP

Re: [4.60] BTW Official Co-Op Server [Fuzzy Bunnies - Whitel

Post by CycloneSP »

Epic quest log six! As for that cobble shack on the edge of a jungle biome with all those half slabs.... that's mine. XD HC spawn + HC hunger is brutal, but I overcame it! ...by slaying 2 lime green sheep and several normal white and grey sheep.... don't shoot me. x_x

If you follow the hole in the cobble shack, you'll find an underground chasm with a single lava pool. Made for an interesting sight.
"So tell me, what's it like living in a constant haze of stupidity?" - Hiei

"Snow is not fire, so it can still rain." -Kaitocain
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

Spoiler
Show
This is the Nether portal I was using, my old underground base is a bit further on the left, if you keep sailing.
There's a swamp, with a path for a road in the middle, and there's also a witch hut in that swamp. My base was on the ocean next to the end of that swamp, in a ravine under water :)
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

At last, HCH claimed one sterlingred. Found an extensive abandoned mineshaft the other day and started exploring. Between yesterday and today spent about two hours in it so far. I encountered the legendary cave spiders!

After surviving and healing from the 'dying' status twice, my third attempt at taking out the spawner was not so successful. I dispatched two of the nasty beasts and tried backing away from the third to heal and wait out the poison. Unfortunately my crippled limbs made me too slow. On respawn, i was actually surprised I was able to get back to civilization so quickly. Then again, the below screenshot of inventory is what was on the line if I could get back quickly enough (as in before I fell asleep irl or someone came on the server and loaded those chunks). So that lit a bit of a fire under my ass.
Spoiler
Show
I spawned on the edge of a desert, with a jungle, swamp, and taiga all within site. After slaughtering everything that moved nearby, and taking advantage of some surface coal and a bit of iron, i successfully established a mine and hit redstone by dawn the next day. A meandering trek living off the land during the rest of the day I made it to spawn just after dark. It was rather uneventful, but hch definitely made me really consider taking advantage of the daylight hours for travel. Enjoying it so far!

I succeeded in recovering the above, (second set of armour and sfs tools is the result of my second trip) and secured my spoils in a drop off chest I know how to get back to. Now I'm resupplied and ready to continue wandering through this mineshaft maze! I still have not dealt with that spawner. I'm considering bypassing it entirely, even though it'll likely cut me off from a good portion of the mineshafts.
AngelWithDirtyHands

Re: [4.61] BTW Official Co-Op Server [Fuzzy Bunnies - Whitel

Post by AngelWithDirtyHands »

@Six that was an epic exploration trip! The 'unfortunate Nether portal' was me trying to get back to the island with "everything a person needs" :p that happened JUST before the server went co-op, when the portals were still loopy. If you go in the one on the middle-of-nowhere island and try to get back, you ended up at the Beach one I think Battosay said was his... then the server went co-op and my laptop started to break down :3 so yeah, haven't been back for a while. Probably will start afresh when I do!
Spoiler
Show
Zen Proclivities wrote:Much obliged to all your devilish details FC.
...except for Hardcore Bucket, that one is a bitch. But such is life, and life says work for it you pussy.
tom_savage

Re: [4.61] BTW Official Co-Op Server [Fuzzy Bunnies - Whitel

Post by tom_savage »

Wow Six...you make me want to travel in 1 direction for days and make an epic build just to see if someone would eventually it.
SterlingRed

Re: [4.62] BTW Official Co-Op Server [Fuzzy Bunnies - Whitel

Post by SterlingRed »

Well...I won't run out of mushrooms at least.
Spoiler
Show
CycloneSP

Post by CycloneSP »

Well, I just wanted to pop in here and let ya'll know what I've been up to. I've been rather busy recently working on a sky high mob farm, tree farm, and an elevator to access them both. The first thing you'll probably notice is my tower to heaven, it is a super tall spiral staircase for those of you that wish to see what is up at the top. I would not advise riding my newly finished elevator unless you want to plummet to your doom. I say this because after finishing my elevator and taking my first ride up, after going up over half way, I glitch through the platform and fall to my untimely demise.

Fortunately I spawned right next to one of FC's respawn shacks, and 2 deaths by zombies later, manage to make it back to base. So yeah, good times... :P

EDIT: okay, so adding an extra layer of platforms underneath the first seems to have done away with the glitching through and falling. :)

I also now have pics! yay! ^_^

This is the tower of heaven from in front of my base:
Spoiler
Show
This is what the underside of my giant project looks like:
Spoiler
Show
Here is the lift:
Spoiler
Show
View 1 from my lift:
Spoiler
Show
View 2 from my lift:
Spoiler
Show
View 3 from my lift:
Spoiler
Show
The hanger for my lift:
Spoiler
Show
My tree farm is to the left, and the mob farm is to the right:
Spoiler
Show

SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

Uh I have some bad news. There may have been a grand idea to put up a gold beacon to speed up some mining for a project. There may have been two players with 2 wither heads each. One of these players hadn't fought the wither before. The first attempt may have ended the experienced players life with the wither at 1/3rd health due to tanking the wither without splash potions (no time to eat normal potions). The second attempt may have also ended the experienced players life via combination of zombie, creeper, and wither all at once as soon as he entered the area. Then the other player, may have waited around until the wither made his way above ground, and met his end as well. And the experienced player headed back alone again and had a tough time dealing with the wither and the scarred ground with the end result leaving him crippled in a hole where he may have fed the wither more mystery meat as a result. And then he might have logged off because he can't really explain to his boss that he's falling asleep at work because of a wither. And Six was definitely not laughing at those two players the entire time.

All in all, there may or not be a wild wither to the north east of spawn by 100~150 blocks or so. Plains biome bordering swamp and taiga.

I'm out of supplies, need to spend some time at my base restocking and collecting a few ghast tears. I've also got plans for the next couple nights irl and may not have much time to play this week. So...Good Luck!

Wanted: Wild Wither
Reward: Nether Star

Spoilered less fun apology
Spoiler
Show
Sorry about this guys I really am. Really didn't go at this and intend to leave it a problem for anyone else. I've never had an issue with the wither in ssp before. Even a few ticks of server/client delay plus the hch changes to health are really taking a toll with the wither fight. Anyway, I'll try to deal with it as soon as I can. I'm out of sfs, feathers&arrows, potions, and don't really have the resources on hand to whip some up real quick. Feel free to take a whack at it if anyone wants.
CycloneSP

Post by CycloneSP »

I may or may not have been part of what sounds like a terrible idea gone horribly wrong... I may or may not have been said inexperienced player who may or may not have done nothing more than hide behind said experienced player using him as a meat shield. And I most definitely may or may not have logged out in a panic after possibly angering said wither with an arrow and taking two shots from said wither... just sayin...

*looks guiltily at sterling*

sorry mate... just... sorry... :(

Battosay

Re: [4.62] BTW Official Co-Op Server - New map ? Poll !

Post by Battosay »

So, with all the new changes to vanilla made by BTW, the early game is now completely different from what it used to be. And I feel like, from playing in an "old" world, we're ruining all that possible fun.
Since HC Hunger, I felt the desire to start a new world, and I did so, but these days I feel more like playing in SMP.
That being said, I'd love to restart a new world with you all. Now that Anarchy is off the table ( :'( ), it would be great to all start from scratch and experience the new BTW adventure together.
Don't worry, the current world would still be saved, and if after a while most people aren't satisfied, we could still go back to the old map.

Map do you guys think ? Vote in the poll ! ^^
FaceFoiled

Post by FaceFoiled »

A yes from me, but as I only just started out I don't really think that my vote should count. :P
wirer

Post by wirer »

If you do start a new world, i would like to join.

IGN: Wirerx

A chance to play with FC himself is cool. I've not always agreed with his views but he has his reasons and i'm fine with that. A change of mindset is always refreshing.
CycloneSP

Post by CycloneSP »

Depends... does starting fresh absolve us(me and sterling) for releasing an irate build wrecking monster into the wild?

On a more serious note, if we were to restart the world, would we continue to do the same thing in running off to claim our own plot of land, or are you guys interesting in more joint/co-op endeavors?

Battlecat

Post by Battlecat »

I certainly think restarting would be a good plan, I haven't been able to get on due to RL commitments but I should be able to take a swing at it in the near future.

Just an addendum, I believe the reset should be held off at least until FC is happy with his upcoming world-gen changes. That'll really make the new world an adventure.
Six

Post by Six »

Battlecat wrote:I certainly think restarting would be a good plan, I haven't been able to get on due to RL commitments but I should be able to take a swing at it in the near future.

Just an addendum, I believe the reset should be held off at least until FC is happy with his upcoming world-gen changes. That'll really make the new world an adventure.
I'm all for starting fresh, but second the note of waiting for an update or two till the world-gen stuff is done.
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

Six wrote:I'm all for starting fresh, but second the note of waiting for an update or two till the world-gen stuff is done.

Yup, that's what I had in mind. The MC 1.5 update would be the right moment, as they'll change worldgen too.
When they'll stop releasing new .x patches, eventually ^^
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

I've fallen far enough behind in the tech tree that I wouldn't mind starting over. 90% of my in game time has been spent establishing respawn bases and stocking them with food for the next death... Are we talking about a random seed or a planned one? Everyone washing up on a coast somewhere ala classic spawn rules would make for a fun event of it.

Would that save be available for download after the restart, by any chance?
Better is the enemy of Good
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Seriously...the point at which the map switches is the point where I never play on a server again. Happens every time, and I'd really prefer if it didn't happen here.

When I play MC, I like to feel like I am building stuff for the future. Investing time and effort into something because it will still be there weeks and months down the road for me to make use of.

When a server resets, I lose that feeling entirely. The world feels disposable as it has already proven itself to be at least once, and I inevitably lose interest along with my trust in a server since I am left with no confidence that it won't just happen again.

Has happened on every server I've ever played on, and I was really hoping that the advantage of the "official" server would be that I'd never have to go through that again.

I personally think this would be a huge mistake. We're just getting a decent and active server population going, and pushing the reset button would put that at risk. People inevitably always seem to vote for a server reset, then have a tendency to lose interest and wander off after it's happened.

So yeah...please, for the love of the gods, don't do this. Honestly, I really would have appreciated had we discussed this privately before making it a public issue. As far as I understood it "no resets" was an unspoken server rule, or I probably wouldn't have played here at all to begin with.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

What if instead of starting a new world you guys move the spawn point several km in some direction have everyone put their stuff away and then delete the player files? Everyone will have a chance to experience all the hardcore modes in their full glory but nothing anyone built will be gone. Is there a way to move the spawn point?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Sarudak wrote:What if instead of starting a new world you guys move the spawn point several km in some direction have everyone put their stuff away and then delete the player files? Everyone will have a chance to experience all the hardcore modes in their full glory but nothing anyone built will be gone. Is there a way to move the spawn point?
IMO: Just leave the frigging world alone. If you want to experience the new stuff in BTW, then play some SSP or play on another server. Resetting the whole world just to re-experience the first ten hours of play or so, then wind up back where you are minus everything you've previously built just makes zero sense to me.

Even in shifting the spawn point: people build relative to spawn. If you shift it, then you're pretty much guaranteeing that people will abandon everything previously built and move to the "new world". I probably invested a good 20 hours of play into building a road from my base to the existing spawn, which means that if it's shifted, I've now invested 20 hours into building "a road to nowhere".

The changes I'm making to world gen are also *intentionally* subtle so they will have no real impact on existing worlds, only on the early game experience, so that's unlikely to make a whit of difference here.

Seriously, it's really depressing for me that this might be one of the end results of all the work I've put into the early game as of late.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

CycloneSP wrote:Depends... does starting fresh absolve us(me and sterling) for releasing an irate build wrecking monster into the wild?
I'd stop joking about that incident if I were you man. If the consequence of your actions is indeed massive base griefing you will be insta-banned.

I'm already debating with myself if you intentionally logging out in the middle of that battle to save yourself qualifies as cheating.
Battlecat

Post by Battlecat »

I never thought about it that way FC, honestly I've had so many disasters with my computers in the past few years I've tried not to get too attached to my worlds since I've lost so many. But you make a good case and more importantly, I don't expect this server to be a democracy, particularly since it's being provided as a free service by you and Battosay.

I withdraw my vote for a new world gen. If I want to experience the early game changes on the server I'll suicide or dump my stuff and start walking in a random direction avoiding civilization and see how things go. It actually could be quite an interesting challenge considering the area around spawn will be picked pretty clean.
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

I for one was looking forward to having to find and repopulate a village with villagers as everything I've see currently generated is dead. We need new terrain gen areas for that reason anyway. Why not take a page from fcs ssp book and build a nice long nether road to gen a new area? If you feel like building a base there from 0 go for it but leave spawn and all the work I've done in linking portals and road building alone.
I restarted my anarchy server once. That was a major contributer to its downfall.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Battlecat wrote:I never thought about it that way FC, honestly I've had so many disasters with my computers in the past few years I've tried not to get too attached to my worlds since I've lost so many. But you make a good case and more importantly, I don't expect this server to be a democracy, particularly since it's being provided as a free service by you and Battosay.
Well, the thing is, the server is operated and paid for by Battosay, so ultimately, I do consider it his call. If he's determined to do this, then I won't stop him.

I will however be done with playing on this server. I know from experience that even if I try to make a go of it after a reset, my interest will be entirely gone, I'll start logging on less and less, and will eventually just never show up again.

I'm honestly rather surprised Battosay would advocate such a thing. Back in the day we were having a grand time working on projects on Edolas, until the question of a server reset came up. I was against it, he was for it, and as far as I know, after it happened we both lost interest and stopped playing there.

To me, a server is the world. Without persistence and continuity there's no reason why I'd be playing on this server in particular instead of somewhere else. Once the world is gone, so is any attachment I have to playing on a particular server. To me, that trumps every other consideration whether that be not wanting seams in your world, wanting new features to be generated, or wanting, like in this case, to re-experience the early game.

I've unfortunately never experienced it, but I always would have loved to be part of a server where every action taken by every player is permanent in some small way, and the world constantly evolves based on that. To me, that's one of the primary potential strengths of MC as a multiplayer game, and I find it a little sad that I've never had an opportunity to experience that given how prone people seem to be to asking for server resets.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Btw, one other thing I want to mention with this: if this is even a possibility for the future, I'm also out.

So, please make your decision now guys. Either reset it, or we agree that we never will, because unless it is decided we won't, then just having this discussion is making me regret playing on this server to begin with.