[4.899999][Whitelist] BTW Official Co-Op Server

This is the place for SMP server threads, and for general server discussion.
myrkana

Re: [4.58] BTW Official Co-Op Server [Fuzzy Bunnies - Whitel

Post by myrkana »

that looks amazing! (sorry I was looking at the thread and had to post :-p)
Rawr :D
Six

Post by Six »

Detritus wrote:
Spoiler
Show
Can anyone tell me where this is?
Damn it! That is the desert I've been searching for for days!
That temple was actually built (not by me) during anarchy days too, which makes it even more impressive.

Any chance you could get a compass bearing back to spawn? There should be some resources in my hidden base below the raided desert temple (please don't steal too much :P).
Detritus

Post by Detritus »

Sorry, I can't :( I died and was kicked back to a new spawn
All parts should go together without forcing. You must remember that the parts you are reassembling were disassembled by you. Therefore, if you can't get them together again, there must be a reason. By all means, do not use a hammer.
Six

Post by Six »

Detritus wrote:Sorry, I can't :( I died and was kicked back to a new spawn
Nooooooooooo......

The quest continues.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Ok, I installed a small server side patch that I believe resolves the HC Spawn issue of seemingly cycling through a very few spawn locations.

I tested it a few times, and it looks good, but it's really the kind of thing that can only be determined through extensive testing.

So, if any of you notice any weird spawning behavior, can you let me know here? I want to work on a few other things for a small release today to address an add-on issue with 4.58, so I'd be much obliged if you guys could let me know if there are any HC Spawn issues before I put that out.
Gdnite

Post by Gdnite »

Do to the wonders of HC Spawn I found a village. If anyone wants the villagers I will lead markers to the village as I travel back to spawn.
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

CycloneSP wrote:I have finally located(and subsequently looted) my old base. I am rather disappointed with how very little was actually in my old base. :(

The only things of value in it were a few stacks of redstone, 4 dia's, some obsidian, a stack of lapis, and a spattering of lesser value items.

So now, all that remains is for me to settle in at my new place. Also, Batto, feel free to harvest the mossy cobble whenever you like. :)
One of my goals for my base area is to establish properly linked nether portals. To do this I will probably need to break the one at this base location at least temporarily. I take it from the above you're not using it anymore?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Just want to check in about the HC Spawn changes I installed to the server yesterday to test them out. Are people finding that they're getting more random respawn locations as a result?
emptychild

Post by emptychild »

I would like to request being added to the whitelist. IGN: RossWillden. Tom_Savage is a RL friend of mine and said he would vouch for me if that makes any difference.
https://twitter.com/FlowerChildXL/statu ... 5676872704

This just in! RTH to contain a TARDIS!
Spoiler
Show
FlowerChild wrote:But, before someone asks: the box will be blue. I like blue. It's a nice soothing color.
CycloneSP

Post by CycloneSP »

nah sterling, feel free to do what you like. I doubt I'll be back there any time in the foreseeable future. Also, if you find my main hole in the ground by the jungle biome, feel free to loot whatever I didn't take.

With that being said, if yer up to it, I would greatly appreciated it if you turned that half finished tower into something epically awesome. ;)
"So tell me, what's it like living in a constant haze of stupidity?" - Hiei

"Snow is not fire, so it can still rain." -Kaitocain
Detritus

Post by Detritus »

FlowerChild wrote:Just want to check in about the HC Spawn changes I installed to the server yesterday to test them out. Are people finding that they're getting more random respawn locations as a result?
The one time I died last night, I appeared in a place I had never been before. There weren't any structures or anything else out there, so I think it was an unloaded chunk. It appears to be working, although one death isn't really a valid test :D
All parts should go together without forcing. You must remember that the parts you are reassembling were disassembled by you. Therefore, if you can't get them together again, there must be a reason. By all means, do not use a hammer.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Detritus wrote: The one time I died last night, I appeared in a place I had never been before. There weren't any structures or anything else out there, so I think it was an unloaded chunk. It appears to be working, although one death isn't really a valid test :D
Thanks, but no, one death isn't enough. One potential problem is that the spawn locations could theoretically still be cycling, but we might just cycling through a different set of them :)

Honestly, I think I nailed it though, and am just being paranoid about verifying it. Unless someone notices a pattern before then, I'll likely release it as is, and if there are any patterns it will be much more apparent with the community at large hammering on it.
Detritus

Post by Detritus »

FlowerChild wrote:
Detritus wrote: The one time I died last night, I appeared in a place I had never been before. There weren't any structures or anything else out there, so I think it was an unloaded chunk. It appears to be working, although one death isn't really a valid test :D
Thanks, but no, one death isn't enough. One potential problem is that the spawn locations could theoretically still be cycling, but we might just cycling through a different set of them :)

Honestly, I think I nailed it though, and am just being paranoid about verifying it. Unless someone notices a pattern before then, I'll likely release it as is, and if there are any patterns it will be much more apparent with the community at large hammering on it.
Yeah, I realised that it probably wasn't enough to verify whether it was fixed or not, but I just wanted to alert you to the fact that I was spawning in new areas.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Detritus wrote:Yeah, I realised that it probably wasn't enough to verify whether it was fixed or not, but I just wanted to alert you to the fact that I was spawning in new areas.
It's cool man, and I do appreciate it. Any info helps reduce my paranoia meter :)
Marasambala

Post by Marasambala »

FlowerChild wrote:Just want to check in about the HC Spawn changes I installed to the server yesterday to test them out. Are people finding that they're getting more random respawn locations as a result?
I did 4 in a row last night. Two were untamed wilderness (lots of animals wondering around), one was pretty close to spawn, but from a new angle (for me.) The last was near this same one, but I'd say it was still different. I know that's not many, but hiking back eats up a lot of time when you're as far out as some of them. Did you increase the radius, as well? It sure seems like it...
Sometimes I think everyone else is smarter than me, then I realize everyone else is smarter then me.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Marasambala wrote: I did 4 in a row last night. Two were untamed wilderness (lots of animals wondering around), one was pretty close to spawn, but from a new angle (for me.) The last was near this same one, but I'd say it was still different. I know that's not many, but hiking back eats up a lot of time when you're as far out as some of them. Did you increase the radius, as well? It sure seems like it...
No, I didn't increase the radius, but if it was cycling between a small number of points before it may very well feel like it if those points weren't too far away.

I know the times I previously died in that world, I had always respawned relatively close.

And yeah, you can certainly still respawn close to the original spawn now too. That's intentional. You can think of it almost as some sort of blast radius. Steve is still drawn towards the original spawn, but with HC Spawn, there's a rather large margin or error with regards to where he happens to actually pop up.
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

emptychild wrote:I would like to request being added to the whitelist. IGN: RossWillden. Tom_Savage is a RL friend of mine and said he would vouch for me if that makes any difference.
Sounds good to me :)
Be careful though, now your actions will have an impact on both of you ;)
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

I completely intentionally sacrificed myself multiple times to test the new hard core spawn behavior. (Fine, a blaze pushed me off a 1 wide bridge alright)
I hit two different spawn locations last night. One in a desert I'd never seen before with a witch hut nearby (skeleton didn't like me there) the second a snow biome I've never been in before. So I'm seeing more unique places at least.

Also it's been awhile since I've been back to spawn. Its looking great! I may have to throw a shack up near there sometime.

Edit: The nether portal at my base links to a portal with a tunnel leading to some bridges leading to a nether fortress. Feel free to use it if you want! If you find nether wart, leave some for others.
Warning: Exiting the nether via this portal will dump you in a cave system. Digging up will place you under a frozen lake. This location is somewhere slightly south east of fcs base.
emptychild

Post by emptychild »

Battosay wrote:
emptychild wrote:I would like to request being added to the whitelist. IGN: RossWillden. Tom_Savage is a RL friend of mine and said he would vouch for me if that makes any difference.
Sounds good to me :)
Be careful though, now your actions will have an impact on both of you ;)
Squee! Happy Dance.

I do have one question: The server rules say "No x-ray mods or texture packs." Am I correct in assuming that means X-ray packs and not normal texture packs? I've heard of some anarchy servers that don't like texture packs at all and while I am well aware that this isn't an anarchy server anymore I know that it used to be and wanted to make sure that wasn't a rule that carried over from there. I'm 99% sure that I'm understanding it correctly I just wanted to make sure as to not trip coming out of the gate.
https://twitter.com/FlowerChildXL/statu ... 5676872704

This just in! RTH to contain a TARDIS!
Spoiler
Show
FlowerChild wrote:But, before someone asks: the box will be blue. I like blue. It's a nice soothing color.
CycloneSP

Post by CycloneSP »

Just wanted to say I finished converting my aqueduct into an beautiful bridge of epic proportions. I feel really proud of it as it is one of my few achievements on the server atm. If any of you want to check it out, it is a stones throw away from batto's spawn house.

Also, I'd like to point out that someone has updated the server to the most recent version of BTW.
"So tell me, what's it like living in a constant haze of stupidity?" - Hiei

"Snow is not fire, so it can still rain." -Kaitocain
sky_demon

Post by sky_demon »

I got same spawn in a row. I mean i spawned in same spot twice, after than in other location, but there was somesort of human made hole with 3high dirt tower which had from left pumpkin and from right steves head. lol so random..
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

If you die relatively soon after another death you will re spawn in the same place. I have had this happen.... Well its too embarrassing to say how many times haha.

Are you sure that's not what happened?

Also update on the server in general, we had six players on at once yesterday! Definitely getting some activity. I finished up an auto dung farm at my base and extended my road. Still got a ways to go but fcs road is within sight! I still need enormous amounts of smoothstone to finish the structures for my bridges.
sky_demon

Post by sky_demon »

Nice man.

Nope I was for a while in cave system. It was around 15min if not few minutes less. I dont count this as that fast death, but i died in next 2min when trying to find my compass in same cave, and i ended up in that random location.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

sky_demon wrote: Nope I was for a while in cave system. It was around 15min if not few minutes less. I dont count this as that fast death, but i died in next 2min when trying to find my compass in same cave, and i ended up in that random location.
If you died again after so short a time and got a different location, it means you were still in the cooldown period for the first respawn location on your second death. Otherwise, the third death would have definitely put you at the same location as the 2nd.

Anyways, no need to detail HC Spawn results here anymore, as that was just for testing purposes while this server was the only one with the new code. That code is available to everyone now, so if you think you're seeing problems, tech support is probably the best place to talk about it.
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

Road has some finishing touches and the last stretch needs to be widened a bit but it now connects to FC's road. From the intersection at Flowers road, it is 1134 +/- 24 blocks to my front gate. (Each torch is 8 blocks apart, 9 including one of the torches. I may have miscounted slightly) Needless to say, I'll be tackling nether portals next to reduce the travel time from my remote location.