Any way to make compact note block songs?

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
BlackCat

Any way to make compact note block songs?

Post by BlackCat »

Was just curios if anyone knew of a way to make noteblock songs that without taking up several football fields of space.

I've not been able to find any way to do this in a small enough space to justify making in survival, even though I really want to x.x
Ribky: eh, maybe kinda iffy at first, but you grew on me like a glorious tumor of innovation
Detritus: A whole lot of walls decided they wanted to give you a hug, but you're allergic to walls

My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/illogicallycompact
Graphite

Re: Any way to make compact note block songs?

Post by Graphite »

Most "compact" version I've seen that plays non-trivial songs. It's even randomizable as apparently any combination of channels sounds good!

Could also go for the piston-ring "sheet-music" version, but you'd have to make sure you're far enough away from the piston-ring:

Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

I had imagined doing it with banks of block dispensers. Each block dispenser hooked up to a potential note in the song and each bank of block dispensers firing 16 times before the next bank activates. This would even allow for parts of the song to repeat if you added a second master control layer...
BlackCat

Post by BlackCat »

That's pretty neat actually, and yeah saru I was kinda surprised when I found that tuning forks didn't work with block dispensers, that's why I asked.
Ribky: eh, maybe kinda iffy at first, but you grew on me like a glorious tumor of innovation
Detritus: A whole lot of walls decided they wanted to give you a hug, but you're allergic to walls

My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/illogicallycompact
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

I think you're misunderstading me. I never said anything about tuning forks. Lets say your song consisted of 10 different notes played at different times. You would then need ten note blocks one for each tone. You would also need banks of ten block dispensers. One bank for each 16 beats of your song. The block dispensers would feed to the note blocks and a clock pulse would set the beat for the block dispensers. The block dispensers would be filled with opaque and non opaque blocks. The opaque blocks representing when that note is played on that beat.
Graphite

Post by Graphite »

So effectively a "16-block piston-ring in a box". Certainly would be more compact than Disco's setup above, though programming the song might be a bit trickier.
johnt

Post by johnt »

I was actually thinking the other day that they should make noteblocks analog (voltage changes the note played), which should make this easier.
Graphite

Post by Graphite »

Did some thinking on this earlier and you could probably combine the BDs with the sequencer idea to make a fairly compact, randomizable music-generator. A single track as he built it is comparable to one or more BDs activating certain noteblocks at certain times, so a single track can be built far more compactly. You can use sets of these for each track, where each cycles through the full 16 blocks before checking the state of the switches again. The more complicated tracks could be made with two sets of BDs, one set that activates half a "tick" after the first set, effectively allowing you to play 32 notes in a certain timespan.