Full automatic chicken farm (by S.W.)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Siege Wizard

Full automatic chicken farm (by S.W.)

Post by Siege Wizard »

This farm will produce raw eggs, feathers and raw chicken and will have them sorted with no need of further attention, it's fully automatic.

It's built out of the following modules:
  1. Melon farm facility: melon plant -> falling melon
  2. Melon breaking facility: falling melon -> seed
  3. Chicken breeding facility: seed -> egg
  4. Egg cracking facility: egg -> raw egg + chicken
  5. Chicken killing facility: adult chicken -> raw chicken + feather
  6. Product sorting facility: raw egg + raw chicken + feather -> separated chests
Melon farm facility: melon plant -> falling melon
Spoiler
Show
3x3x4 with 3 melon plants producing and dropping in the same spot.
schematic
Show
[_] - Air
[A] - Any block
[P] - Planter with dirt
[M] - Melon plant
- Sticky piston
[<] - Sticky piston's arm
[R] - Redstone dust
[T] - Redstone torch (attached to the side of the detector block)
[D] - Detector block (pointing down)

Layer 1:
[_][P][_][_]
[P][P][<]
[_][P][_][_]

Layer 2:
[_][M][_][_]
[M][_][_][A]
[_][M][_][_]

Layer 3:
[_][_][_][_]
[_]
[D][T][R]
[_][_][_][_]
how does it work
Show
When any of the 3 plants generates a melon in the centre planter the DB turns on, turning off the torch, making the Sticky Piston to retract and making the melon fall down. Then the detector stops being on turning the torch on and the Sticky Piston expands to place the planter in his position.

Melon breaking facility: falling melon -> seed
COMING SOON

Chicken breeding facility: seeds -> eggs
Spoiler
Show
Modular, chicken friendly and auto-resetable.
schematic
Show
[_] - Air
10x [A] - Any solid block
15x [G] - Preferably glass, but other blocks will also work
2x [H] - Hopper
1x [D] - Dispenser
1x [P] - Wooden preasure plate
4x [R] - Redstone dust
2x [T] - Redstone torch (both are against a side of a block, not directly on top of them)
3x [<] - Repeater with corresponding facing

Layers 1-4: clock
Layer 1:
[_][_][_][_][_][_][_]
[_]
[A][A][_][_][_][_]
[_][_][_][_][_][_][_]
[_][_][_][_][_][_][_]

Layer 2:
[_][_][_][_][_][_][_]
[A][<][R][A][A][_][_]
[_][_][_][_][_][_][_]
[_][_][_][_][_][_][_]

Layer 3:
[_][_][_][_][_][_][_]
[R][A][A][<][R][_][_]
[_][_][_][_][_][_][_]
[_][_][_][_][_][_][_]

Layer 4:
[_][_][_][_][_][_][_]
[_]
[R][>][A][T][_][_]
[_][_][_][_][_][_][_]
[_][_][_][_][_][_][_]

Layers 5-8: chicken modules + seed module
Layer 5:
[_][_][_][_][T][_][_]
[_][_][_][_]
[A][_][_]
[_][_][_]
[H][_][H][_]
[_][_][_][_][_][_][_]

Layer 6:
[_][_][_][_][A][_][_]
[_][_][_]
[G][P][G][_]
[_][_]
[G][_][G][_][G]
[_][_][_]
[G][_][G][_]

Layer 7:
[_][_][_][_][D][_][_]
[_][_][_]
[G][_][G][_]
[_][_]
[G][_][G][_][G]
[_][_][_]
[G][_][G][_]

Layer 8:
[_][_][_][_][_][_][_]
[_][_][_][_]
[G][_][_]
[_][_][_][_][_][_][_]
[_][_][_][_][_][_][_]
how it works
Show
The chickens stand over the hoppers (I have 2 chickens per hopper). There is always a seed over the wooden preasure plate. Chickens are able to get them from their places. The preasure plate itself (inverted) powers the block below the dispenser. While the preasure plate is on, the clock is not getting to the dispenser, but if a chicken gets a seed before hitting the preasure plate the clock will make the dispenser shoot another one so that you dont need to reset it manually.

The clock that is used for the auto-reset funtionality is the most expensive part of the system, but it's worth it as you can use it for the cracking egg farm below it that will come next.

NOTE: This set up can be modified to contain 4 chicken modules around a single dispenser if nedt, but the hoppers would be harder to be powered. You can also get rid of 1 of the 2 modules of this design but as the cost will only be reduced in 6 glass and a hopper, I think it's worth having two modules so that chickens aren't that stressed.

Egg cracking facility: egg -> raw egg + chicken
COMING SOON

Chicken killing facility: adult chicken -> raw chicken + feather
COMING SOON

Product sorting facility: raw egg + raw chicken + feather -> separated chests
COMING SOON

S.W.
Last edited by Siege Wizard on Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
BlackCat

Re: Melon farm design (by S.W.)

Post by BlackCat »

Vertically tilable
Spoiler
Show
Any questions?
Ribky: eh, maybe kinda iffy at first, but you grew on me like a glorious tumor of innovation
Detritus: A whole lot of walls decided they wanted to give you a hug, but you're allergic to walls

My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/illogicallycompact
Siege Wizard

Post by Siege Wizard »

Neat design. If you need a higher production tiling vertically is very useful but your design also uses a repeater and a BB more than mine so it's more expensive if you only need a single module.

I also have some vertical stackable ones. The cheapest one uses a single BB, a Sticky Piston, 4 Repeaters, 2 torches and 8 redstone dust but it's quite bigger than yours. In raw resources, without taking into account stone nor wood, mine uses 11 more redstone dust but 3 less gold nuggets and 6 less lapis.
Graphite

Post by Graphite »

If the cost of the buddy block is an issue, the two designs can be combined into a vertically tilable one at the cost of a tiny chance to jam:
Spoiler
Show
It mostly works the same, but it might get stuck if a melon manages to grow in that brief moment that the piston is retracted to remove the previous one.
Siege Wizard

Post by Siege Wizard »

Graphite wrote:If the cost of the buddy block is an issue, the two designs can be combined into a vertically tilable one at the cost of a tiny chance to jam:

[IMAGE]

It mostly works the same, but it might get stuck if a melon manages to grow in that brief moment that the piston is retracted to remove the previous one.
That wouldnt be tileable, as you don't have any way to detect the melon that came from above. You would need another DB to detect those. And if u do it this way, you have to wire it quite different and you would need the two inverted DB outputs into an AND gate and the output of the AND gate to the piston.

Q = !A * !B = !(A + B)
So you have to take the 2 DB signal, combine them and then send them to a torch that powers the piston. The problem is that you can't access to A but !A SO youll need to change it to:
Q= !(!!A + B)

I have managed to do that in a 3x3x6 space using 2 DB, 1 Sticky piston, 4 redstone dust, 3 redstone torches and 2 redstone repeaters.

EDIT: Actually yours works but the melon coming from above has to wait until the melon of that farm is generated and both will go down.

EDIT2: It doesn't, you need some extra delay for the piston to expand again or it doesn't work.

S.W.
Last edited by Siege Wizard on Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Graphite

Re: Full aut moduomatic chicken farm (by S.W.)

Post by Graphite »

I stand corrected. You'd be better off using BlackCat's version as I did miss that particular drawback. Use of the buddy block makes more sense now.
Siege Wizard

Re: Full aut moduomatic chicken farm (by S.W.)

Post by Siege Wizard »

Graphite wrote:I stand corrected. You'd be better off using BlackCat's version as I did miss that particular drawback. Use of the buddy block makes more sense now.
Actually your design made me think... 4 planters the same way, detector block on top. Take the detector block on state (double inversion in the middle) to a pulse shortener and this pulse to the piston. The concept is the same than ypurs but instead of having the piston extended by default and rectracting when melon is found, having it retracted and pulsing when melon is found. I'll try this idea now.

S.W.
maxsi

Re: Full automatic chicken farm (by S.W.)

Post by maxsi »

i guess this one is more compact
and by my tests you don't need 3 plants to be efficient, just one do the job
Blazara wrote:Better Than Wolves: So seamless, you don't know what you've got into... ;)
Siege Wizard

Post by Siege Wizard »

maxsi wrote:i guess this one is more compact
[IMAGE]
I'm quite sure 3 plants make it more efficient but a modder could confirm it. If you are right and 1 plant is as efficient as 3, your module is more compact (2x3x2 = 12). If I'm right and is three times as efficient, mine (3x3x4 = 36) is as compact as 3 modules of yours (6x3x2 = 36). Furthermore, mine has 2 other advantages: the first being a single falling block vs 3 of yours and the second being cheaper than yours, as a sticky piston is quite cheaper and easy to obtain than a BD.

P.S.: i wouldn't stack yours as you do, I would stack them vertically as it's also viable and that would make the seed recolecting easier.
BlackCat

Post by BlackCat »

Making vertically tileable melon farms would require the use of two detection blocks, as a result the buddy block is a necessary component, as well as a way to avoid the use of too much space.

Buddy blocks cost 6 redstone 4 sticks 6 gold nuggets 12 lapis so it's really not that big of a deal.
Ribky: eh, maybe kinda iffy at first, but you grew on me like a glorious tumor of innovation
Detritus: A whole lot of walls decided they wanted to give you a hug, but you're allergic to walls

maxsi

Post by maxsi »

Siege Wizard wrote:
maxsi wrote:i guess this one is more compact
[IMAGE]
I'm quite sure 3 plants make it more efficient but a modder could confirm it. If you are right and 1 plant is as efficient as 3, your module is more compact (2x3x2 = 12). If I'm right and is three times as efficient, mine (3x3x4 = 36) is as compact as 3 modules of yours (6x3x2 = 36). Furthermore, mine has 2 other advantages: the first being a single falling block vs 3 of yours and the second being cheaper than yours, as a sticky piston is quite cheaper and easy to obtain than a BD.

P.S.: i wouldn't stack yours as you do, I would stack them vertically as it's also viable and that would make the seed recolecting easier.
they are stacked sideways because i have one melon for every chicken in that setup, the melons fall over half slabs behind the chicken
Blazara wrote:Better Than Wolves: So seamless, you don't know what you've got into... ;)
Siege Wizard

Post by Siege Wizard »

BlackCat wrote:Making vertically tileable melon farms would require the use of two detection blocks, as a result the buddy block is a necessary component, as well as a way to avoid the use of too much space.

Buddy blocks cost 6 redstone 4 sticks 6 gold nuggets 12 lapis so it's really not that big of a deal.
As lapis are not renewable it can be a prob. I've done a 4x5x4 vertically tileable version (it can actually be consider 4x5x3 as it can be tiled each 3 vertical spaces) that only uses 1 DB, 2 sticky pistons, 2 redstone torches, 7 redstone dust, 8 solid blocks and 4 planters. All of the material are renewable and easy to obtain except for 6 lapis. The concept of this desing is not needing to detect the melon from above since it has free space to drop. The piston is normally retracted and extends and retracts when it sees a melon so the falling column is never obstructed. A bit bigger, yes, but quite small and very cheap. I think this is the one I'm going to use if I need to stack it vertically. If not I will stay with my non-stackable design as it's very very cheap.
maxsi wrote:they are stacked sideways because i have one melon for every chicken in that setup, the melons fall over half slabs behind the chicken
Ok then, I must tell you that seeds spread even with walls around the crashing point, check your design in that aspect.
maxsi

Post by maxsi »

Siege Wizard wrote:
maxsi wrote:they are stacked sideways because i have one melon for every chicken in that setup, the melons fall over half slabs behind the chicken
Ok then, I must tell you that seeds spread even with walls around the crashing point, check your design in that aspect.
i know that, some time there is seeds far out from the building. BUT there is enough seed left for the chickens, after all the chicken just need one seed
BlackCat

Post by BlackCat »

Erm...you can ge a stack of lapis from a single ore using fortune III, it's not a huge deal, but whatever floats your boat I suppose.

Edit: I was able to compact my original melon farm design to take out the detector
Spoiler
Show

Siege Wizard

Post by Siege Wizard »

BlackCat wrote:Erm...you can ge a stack of lapis from a single ore using fortune III, it's not a huge deal, but whatever floats your boat I suppose.

Edit: I was able to compact my original melon farm design to take out the detector

[IMAGE]
Double slab to send redstone but still count as non-opaque block so that the plant grow melons. Very nice. A double inverter could be used for the same purpouse but that was a nice trick. I think I may change to BB :)
BlackCat

Post by BlackCat »

Siege Wizard wrote:
BlackCat wrote:Erm...you can ge a stack of lapis from a single ore using fortune III, it's not a huge deal, but whatever floats your boat I suppose.

[IMAGE]
Double slab to send redstone but still count as non-opaque block so that the plant grow melons. Very nice. A double inverter could be used for the same purpouse but that was a nice trick. I think I may change to BB :)
Actually the double slab was just because I didn't want to get another solid block out haha

Melons not growing with solids above them would be news to me, I don't recall that being the case with melons, just with carrots potatoes and maybe wheat.

Siege Wizard

Post by Siege Wizard »

BlackCat wrote:Actually the double slab was just because I didn't want to get another solid block out haha

Melons not growing with solids above them would be news to me, I don't recall that being the case with melons, just with carrots potatoes and maybe wheat.
Minecraft Wiki wrote:Melon blocks only grow when no opaque block is directly above the stem.
But i also have bad news, they count as opaque when being used in pairs :( That last desing just has two funtional stems.
Six

Post by Six »

This discussion seems to have moved away a bit from the full chicken farm, but my two cents on the melon farm part;

If you're wanting cheap, I'd say trying to make each module reactive is the wrong way to go. Melons take 0.05 - 1.5 Minecraft days to grow (if the wiki is to be believed), so you can make it super cheap by just hooking the pistons all up to a day sensor like so:
Spoiler
Show
The other fun thing with this design, is you can use the redstone torch tower to power multiple modules and make yourself a melon tree:
Spoiler
Show
The melons do end up falling on 4 different squares, but the effective cost of this is 1 sticky piston and 1/2 a redstone dust per module, + one lens, detector block and a few redstone for the daylight sensor.
Siege Wizard

Post by Siege Wizard »

Six wrote:This discussion seems to have moved away a bit from the full chicken farm, but my two cents on the melon farm part;

If you're wanting cheap, I'd say trying to make each module reactive is the wrong way to go. Melons take 0.05 - 1.5 Minecraft days to grow (if the wiki is to be believed), so you can make it super cheap by just hooking the pistons all up to a day sensor like so:
Spoiler
Show
The other fun thing with this design, is you can use the redstone torch tower to power multiple modules and make yourself a melon tree:
Spoiler
Show
The melons do end up falling on 4 different squares, but the effective cost of this is 1 sticky piston and 1/2 a redstone dust per module, + one lens, detector block and a few redstone for the daylight sensor.
Not bad, but very uneficient. There are tons of designs that use detector blocks or buddy blocks that are much more efficient, even this is very cheap if you dont consider the two diamonds from the lens (my world seems to have a shortage in diamonds, I have found 9, and 3 were used for my diamond pickaxe.

Actually there are tons of reactive systems but I'll mention some vertically tileable ones:
  • BlackCat's design with a detector block and the "buggy" buddy block detecting the change from two blocks away. The same BB detects also the falling melons from above. The inverted output is used to keep the piston extended.
    Main drawback: you can consider the buddy block detecting a change two block away a "bug".
    Expensive parts: DB, BB and a piston.
  • Detector block conected to a pulse shortener by a double inversion (= no inversion but it's necessary so that the plant grows) and carried to the piston. It's normally retracted and only pulses when a melon generates so the falling path is always open for the falling melons from above.
    Main drawback: space 4x5x3 (width x legth x height).
    Expensive parts: DB and 2 piston
  • Double detector block inverted and conected to an AND gate whose output activates the piston. If a melon is over the planter or over the piston the AND gate will go off as the inputs are inverted and this will trigger the piston, retracting it.
    Main drawback: space 3x6x3 (width x legth x height).
    Expensive parts: 2 DB and a piston
  • Single DB that sends a redstone signal downward to retract pistons from below at the right time.
    Main drawback: may mess itself if a melon grows while it's piston is retracted to allow a melon from above fall, this messes that level and all the ones below it until you break the melon yourself (and all the melons that will probably have grown below that level).
    Expensive parts: DB and 2 piston
So today the most compact version is BlackCat's one, but is also the most expensive. The downward timed current is the second most compact and changes a BB for a piston but also needs a bit more of redstone (2 repeaters, a torch and 2 dusts for each module except the lowest one witch is much more cheaper). I'll post some screens and the schematic of the latest when I finish my exams.

S.W.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

To be honest, the 'cheapest' design here so far is that one just mentioned; though I would replace the lens/DB with a simple item despawn timer. If you're looking to save resources (or suck at finding lapis) systems like this do perfectly fine with timers that trigger every 1-5 mins. That way your shiny blue rocks, of both kinds, are saved for more important things.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Siege Wizard

Post by Siege Wizard »

Stormweaver wrote:To be honest, the 'cheapest' design here so far is that one just mentioned; though I would replace the lens/DB with a simple item despawn timer. If you're looking to save resources (or suck at finding lapis) systems like this do perfectly fine with timers that trigger every 1-5 mins. That way your shiny blue rocks, of both kinds, are saved for more important things.
I agree but... that is very uneffective. I want an steady suply of feathers for my arrows. To use that kind of system would mean having to make it bigger that what you really need and I don't want to have a huge "melon tree farm" just for it.
BlackCat

Post by BlackCat »

Spoiler
Show
Is this what you were looking for with the solid block problem?

Siege Wizard

Post by Siege Wizard »

BlackCat wrote:
Spoiler
Show
Is this what you were looking for with the solid block problem?
But isn't it easier to get rid of both the stone block and the sandstone one above the stem and lowering the one with the second torch and the dust one space? Haven't tested but it should work the same as this desing and you make your design 1 lower (quite important if you are tiling it vertically).

S.W.
BlackCat

Post by BlackCat »

Tried that, piston just stays powered, sorry.

XboxAddict77

Post by XboxAddict77 »

Ill need to make a video but i've got an interesting farm design its not as compact as these others but I personally like it video coming soon. PS. It uses stickey pistons w/ planters for them to fall.