Help with On/Off inset 3x3 Hibachi + Kiln Discussion.

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Kombucha

Help with On/Off inset 3x3 Hibachi + Kiln Discussion.

Post by Kombucha »

Howdy.

I'm trying to design a 3x3 Hibachi that is inset by 1 block and has an on/off switch at ground level (either flush or a block above). I've got a switch mechanism set up, but I'm unfamiliar with directing redstone current vertically and I'm having trouble building a switch up to the surface (Grass)

Map Download (vMC 1.4.6/BTW 4.41)

Pictures in Spoiler
Spoiler
Show
Last edited by Kombucha on Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:38 pm, edited 4 times in total.
BlackCat

Re: Help with On/Off inset 9x9 Hibachi

Post by BlackCat »

Hmm, I'll post a screenshot in a sec.
Ribky: eh, maybe kinda iffy at first, but you grew on me like a glorious tumor of innovation
Detritus: A whole lot of walls decided they wanted to give you a hug, but you're allergic to walls

My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/illogicallycompact
Husbag3

Post by Husbag3 »

There was a thread about the same thing not to long ago.
This was my contribution to the thread:
Spoiler
Show
It's a single tile to power 3 hibachis, just repeat it 3 times.
If the minecraft world is infinite, why does the sun still rotate around it?
BlackCat

Post by BlackCat »

You're going to need a repeater added in the back for the signal to continue that far, sorry :(
Spoiler
Show
Ribky: eh, maybe kinda iffy at first, but you grew on me like a glorious tumor of innovation
Detritus: A whole lot of walls decided they wanted to give you a hug, but you're allergic to walls

Kombucha

Post by Kombucha »

Thanks! Every attempt I'd made required me to leave holes open around the switch.
BlackCat

Post by BlackCat »

Kombucha wrote:Thanks!
Have fun with your new barbecue grill :)

Kombucha

Post by Kombucha »

Managed to hook up a bellows. Kinda messy, but it works and I can fiddle with making it more compact later as I'm no where near where I need to be in my survival world to implement it.
Spoiler
Show
Diamond represets the power source, and the design of this smithing area requires a manual switching out of the Crucible & Stewing Pot, but I don't mind.
BlackCat

Post by BlackCat »

Looks awesome!

Kombucha

Post by Kombucha »

Thanks for showing me how to direct currents vertically. Until now I'd only know how to do it by stacking torches with a switch at the bottom.
BigShinyToys

Post by BigShinyToys »

Some more methods of wiring were discussed in this thread [shameless self promotion]viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5906
Graphite

Post by Graphite »

Bit more complicated design, but it has the bellows incorporated as well. It's a variation of the hibachi-setup I tend to use in my worlds, though I tend to have the bellows on the side instead of in the back. It might be a teensy bit more compact than my usual setup this way, actually :P
Spoiler
Show

P.S. The gold block in there is vital, as it gets powered by the repeater pointing at it and thereby powers the redstone directly beneath it.

P.P.S. I think you meant 3x3, not 9x9 ;)
Kombucha

Post by Kombucha »

^ I like that design A LOT. Is the Gold Block vital because it's gold or can any block be there? I'm still rather new at redstone circuitry. Do different materials have different conductivity?

Managed to compact the Bellows switch (Purple). Wish I'd realized I can have the on/off line and the alternating turntable line going into the same gearbox earlier.
Spoiler
Show
Working on a walk-in Kiln now...
Graphite

Re: Help with On/Off inset 3x3 Hibachi

Post by Graphite »

any solid block will do. I only used a gold one there so I would be able to point it out.

Using the same line for the on/off state and the turntable was quite the eureka moment for me as well when I first figured that one out. Certainly made the design a lot more compact. Nice to see you're trying to learn from the images so you can incorporate ideas into your own designs, btw.
Last edited by Graphite on Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BlackCat

Post by BlackCat »

for basic instruction on the actual workings of redstone I would recommend this thread, http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/544 ... uide-v121/

Kombucha

Post by Kombucha »

BlackCat wrote:for basic instruction on the actual workings of redstone I would recommend this thread, http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/544 ... uide-v121/
Thanks.

Oh christ... I didn't even realize you could power a Bellows from anywhere else besides the opposite side of the "blow hole" so embarrassing.
Prof_Ion

Post by Prof_Ion »

Kombucha wrote:
BlackCat wrote:for basic instruction on the actual workings of redstone I would recommend this thread, http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/544 ... uide-v121/
Thanks.

Oh christ... I didn't even realize you could power a Bellows from anywhere else besides the opposite side of the "blow hole" so embarrassing.
are you serious... Wow been with BTW for almost a year and that one never struck me either. I just always did it that way never thought about the other sides... time to play with the new ides now :D
Kaitocain wrote: Snow is not fire, so it can still rain.
Kombucha

Post by Kombucha »

Graphite wrote:Bit more complicated design, but it has the bellows incorporated as well. It's a variation of the hibachi-setup I tend to use in my worlds, though I tend to have the bellows on the side instead of in the back. It might be a teensy bit more compact than my usual setup this way, actually :P
Spoiler
Show

P.S. The gold block in there is vital, as it gets powered by the repeater pointing at it and thereby powers the redstone directly beneath it.

P.P.S. I think you meant 3x3, not 9x9 ;)
You wouldn't happen to be sitting on a compact Kiln design also, would you? I've tried adapting one from a design based on yours and it gets rather messed with the bellows.
BlackCat

Post by BlackCat »

I'd recommend checking out six's thread, I'll be home in a bit at which point I can help, but I remember a few neat designs in there.

Kombucha

Post by Kombucha »

BlackCat wrote:I'd recommend checking out six's thread, I'll be home in a bit at which point I can help, but I remember a few neat designs in there.
Checking it out now. Some of this stuff is out there.

:edit:

Found a neat 3x3 kiln by jorgebona in the mentioned thread that fits snuggly over Hibachi that can fire 4 items at a time. I keep forgetting that the only requirement is 4 sides of brick, so long as that criteria is met, they can be arranged in any way....
Spoiler
Show
BinoAl

Re: Help with On/Off inset 3x3 Hibachi + Kiln Discussion.

Post by BinoAl »

BlackCat

Post by BlackCat »

Sorry I'm so late on this one
Spoiler
Show
There is a crucible in front of the area where the pottery/ores would drop to avoid fires

Kezza

Post by Kezza »

When you have enough lens and detector blocks later ingame ;)
Spoiler
Show
5 x 7 hibachi example
top off:
top on:
lightblock + lens and detector blocks + redstonetorch

Siege Wizard

Post by Siege Wizard »

Kezza wrote:When you have enough lens and detector blocks later ingame ;)

[...]
Why using 7 lines of 5 DB instead of 5 lines of 7 DB? You would need two less lenses and their corresponding light block + wiring.
Kezza

Post by Kezza »

you can make A x B large fields with that, the shown sice was a short example