the best designed minecraft blocks? (vanilla or mod)

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
johnt

the best designed minecraft blocks? (vanilla or mod)

Post by johnt »

I'm going to nominate the note blocks from vanilla. They managed to incorporate a huge variety of sounds without adding any extra UI. They aren't particularly useful, exactly, but they completely satisfied a basic function for a redstone system. They're also challenging to use correctly in a fun way.

My second choice from vanilla would be the redstone repeater.

My third choice would be the piston.

For btw, the hopper I think has the most best design because it performs a very complex task with a very simple UI and without cheating the way other mods handle filtering like BC.

Second would be the saw, and third would be the hibachi.
Six

Re: the best designed minecraft blocks? (vanilla or mod)

Post by Six »

This is an interesting question for sure. I'd have to say a special mention has to go out to the Thaumcraft 2 Infuser, not so much for the gameplay design, but for the amazing look it had, with a crisp texture on the top which rotated when active. Azanor has a way of creating really nice visuals in MC, while still keeping a good style.
BigShinyToys

Post by BigShinyToys »

I would have to nominate the gearbox and axle two blocks with a thousand uses. Both simple elements that can be used to build very complex and useful systems while keeping a level of realism to there function.
Extreme Boyheat

Post by Extreme Boyheat »

Dungblocks
Katalliaan

Post by Katalliaan »

To me, the piston is the best designed block. It's a simple concept that's still very versatile - it can be used in pretty much any type of farm, in hidden doors, as an early-game alternative to lenses for upwards redstone transmission, to find nearby caves (place one facing a wall and power it; if it extends, there's an open space in that direction), and, when it was a mod, it could be used to build transport structures to send Steve flying through the air from place to place.

The runner-up to me would be the block dispenser. It's a very powerful block with some functions that feel like they don't quite belong, such as the ability to clump clay and snow balls into their respective blocks.
Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
Not now stupid - in case of fire
Kombucha

Post by Kombucha »

Extreme Boyheat wrote:Dungblocks
I have to agree with this. I'd been mentioning BTW to a friend of mine for months. The topic of Dung finally came up and upon hearing that he could build his house completely out of poo he finally installed the mod.

The only thing that could possible make Dung Blocks more perfect would be a particle effect.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Redstone torches ftw.

Seriously guys...consider the versatility of that single block and everything it makes possible. They really are a brilliant and elegant design for bringing digital circuitry into a fantasy game without totally breaking suspension of disbelief.

We're likely so habituated to their use, and they fit so seamlessly into the game, that we don't even really see them anymore, but take a moment to consider the unsung hero of pretty much every technical build in the game.

<pours one on the curb for the redstone torch>
BlackCat

Post by BlackCat »

Block dispensers and buddy blocks.

I use them religiously.

Edit: As far as vanilla goes I'm going to have to agree wholeheartedly with FC.
Ribky: eh, maybe kinda iffy at first, but you grew on me like a glorious tumor of innovation
Detritus: A whole lot of walls decided they wanted to give you a hug, but you're allergic to walls

My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/illogicallycompact
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

1. RS torch
2. BD
3. Hopper
4. Piston
5. Repeater
6. DB
7. Screw pump
8. Buddy
9. Lens
10. Wool slabs
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
someonetobe

Post by someonetobe »

Workbench.
I seek fond moments, not fond memories.
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

Sandstone.

Ok seriously, I'm very tempted to say pistons, but given how much bugs they have introduced with them this far, I'm not sure they were designed so much as thrown together ;P

Yup, it's rs torch hands down.
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
EpicAaron

Post by EpicAaron »

I think the stone block is pretty well designed. Our worlds would be empty without them, and so much can be built with them!
BTW Community Server Discord: https://discord.gg/arZpuYW
Spoiler
Show
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Fences (and later subtypes).

While stuff like the redstone torch is in itself an innovation, when it comes to aesthetics, fences have no competition.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
CumuloNimbus10

Post by CumuloNimbus10 »

Water

This may not be a "block", but it is probably one of the most significant parts of MC due to its versatility. It is used for so many things, such as aesthetic and practical purposes. The fact that water can spread from its source and be channeled to make certain things makes it an amazing part of MC.
EtherealWrath

Post by EtherealWrath »

Favourite mod item- Flowerchild's hopper.

Vanilla- noteblock, for the sake of having this as my doorbell-http://youtu.be/zUwEIt9ez7M
Phantom screams echo through the ruined facility
A horrible silence builds an eerie tranquility
The souls of many innocent fill the air
The hope they all died with scattered down there
enzyme_a113_2

Post by enzyme_a113_2 »

The Better than Wolves lens. It's uses are amazing, ranging from laser tripwires to vertical redstone, and even wireless signalling. I've seen similar features in other tech mods, but this pulls it off much better.