Stone & stone brick sub-block textures (BTW 4.40)

If you're having problems with your installation of Better Than Wolves, or if you've woken up in the future and are beginning to doubt the nature of reality, here's the place to post about it.
odemarken

Stone & stone brick sub-block textures (BTW 4.40)

Post by odemarken »

Hello,
First of all, I'd like to say that this mod is pure genius and I'd have stopped playing MC long ago without it.
Now, to the point: I'm experiencing a small issue with textures in 4.40.
I'm using the Painterly Pack textures, which do not support BTW, but they tend to blend in pretty well anyway.
The issue is, in 4.38, stone brick sub-blocks would use the Painterly stone brick texture. In 4.40, after the changes to sub-blocks, they now use the vanilla stone brick texture. The same is true for smooth stone sub-blocks. Obviously this is a problem, because my structures using sub-blocks started looking weird, having two different textures.
The question is: is this unavoidable, given the changes to how sub-blocks work, and I should bite the bullet and switch to a supported texture pack, or could this be fixed?
Thanks!
Educated_Fool

Re: Stone & stone brick sub-block textures (BTW 4.40)

Post by Educated_Fool »

If the painterly pack does not support better than wolves, the subblocks will probably stay this way. Flowerchild probably has his reasons to change the textures he uses, so it is unlikely he will change them for uncompatible texturepacks. (My own guess, I could be wrong)

In the meantime however I can teach you how to change the texturepack so that it supports better than wolves' subblocks. It's not that hard and it won't take very long, so let me know if you're interested ;)
I can see clearly now my brain is gone.
odemarken

Post by odemarken »

Educated_Fool wrote:If the painterly pack does not support better than wolves, the subblocks will probably stay this way. Flowerchild probably has his reasons to change the textures he uses, so it is unlikely he will change them for uncompatible texturepacks. (My own guess, I could be wrong)

In the meantime however I can teach you how to change the texturepack so that it supports better than wolves' subblocks. It's not that hard and it won't take very long, so let me know if you're interested ;)
Sure, that would be great. I'm fairly comfortable using graphic editors, if it helps. I guess you can post it here for anyone that would like to use an unsupported TP.
Educated_Fool

Post by Educated_Fool »

All right, I'll just take you through it step by step. One thing that you must know however is, that when you modify a block-texture of BTW you have to update this file every time BTW adds a new block. I'll come back to this at the end of this post.

First of all, you have to use a graphic editor that can handle transparent textures. I myself use paint.net, just don't use stuff like microsoft paint (paint and paint.net, ironic isn't it :/ )

Secondly you go to the better than wolves files you downloaded, and open ...\BTWMod4-40.zip\MINECRAFT-JAR\ . In here is a map called btwmodtex, this contains all the textures for better than wolves. Copy this map and go to the location of the texturepack.
Unzip the texturepack if it is still zipped, and place the btwmodtextures-map in here. (you can leave the pack unzipped afterwards if you want, minecraft can detect and use the unzipped files as long as they are in the texturepacks-folder)

While you are there open the file called "terrain.png" with your graphic editor, this file contains the textures of all the vanilla blocks as they are in the texturepack. Now you can take a look at the files in the btwmodtextures map. The one you want to edit to change the textures of the (sub)blocks is called "btwterrain01.png". Once again, open this file with the graphic editor. (if you dont want to change any of the other btw-textures, you can delete all the other files in the btwmodtextures map)

Most of the btw textures will speak for themselves, but the ones relevant to most of the subblocks are located on the eleventh row. Smoothstone is an exception, you will find those textures on the sixth row. (at the end of this post there is a picture to show the exact locations of certain blocks) Now go to "terrain.png", find the textures of the relevant blocks and copy them. All you have to do now is replace the btw-textures with these versions of them.

Note that this method only works for 16x texturepacks (like the painterly pack), HD texturepacks are a entirely different story.

Also a note on the updating. Every time btw adds a new block it will be added in the btwterrain.png file. You have to copy these new textures to your modified version of btwterrain.png. This is an easy task, but still something worth mentioning.

I hope this post is clear enough. Don't hesitate to ask if you need some further help or if something in this post is vague.
Good luck updating ;)

Locations of relevant blocks in the btwterrain.png file:
picture
Show
The textures for subblocks are relevant for sidings, mouldings, corners, tables, benches, pedestals, fences and the topside of pillars.
1 - smoothstone subblocks, all sides
2 - netherbrick subblocks, all sides
3 - brick subblocks, all sides
4 - sandstone subblocks, top side
5 - sandstone subblocks, sides
6 - sandstone subblocks, bottom side
7 - stone brick subblocks, all sides
8 - stone brick pillar sides
9 - oak wood subblocks, all sides
10 - spruce wood subblocks, all sides
11 - birch wood subblocks, all sides
12 - jungle wood subblocks, all sides

Edited with the inclusion of the picture
odemarken

Post by odemarken »

Awesome, thanks! I'll probably delay doing it for a few weeks until the "final" release of BTW comes out, after which no new blocks will probably be added, to avoid doing it multiple times :)
I don't mean to be to greedy in asking for help, but do you happen to know if it would be possible to use
a TP clay texture for unfired pottery? It kida bothers me that my red clay suddenly turns gray when it's being sculpted :)
darahalian

Post by darahalian »

odemarken wrote:Awesome, thanks! I'll probably delay doing it for a few weeks until the "final" release of BTW comes out, after which no new blocks will probably be added, to avoid doing it multiple times :)
I don't mean to be to greedy in asking for help, but do you happen to know if it would be possible to use
a TP clay texture for unfired pottery? It kida bothers me that my red clay suddenly turns gray when it's being sculpted :)
My guess would be to find the texture in btwterrain01.png that looks like the gray clay, and change it to the red texture you want.
FlowerChild wrote:Remain ever vigilant against the groth menace my friends. Early detection is crucial in avoiding a full-blown groth epidemic.
Educated_Fool

Post by Educated_Fool »

Yes, this method is possible for all blocks that are added by BTW, all of them can be found in the file I named. The clay block texture you are looking for is in row 5, column 12 ;)
odemarken

Post by odemarken »

Hello,
I hope it won't be considered necroing, but I feel this belongs in the same topic.
Thanks again for your tips, Educated_Fool, but before I found the resolve to apply them, I switched to a 32px TP :)
And now the thing is, I have two TPs and each has some textures I like more, so I'd like to combine them. Is there anything specific to the mod in this process, or should I just research general HD TP-making?
Thanks in advance!