Explanation of the current MCPatcher + BTW incompatibility

If you're having problems with your installation of Better Than Wolves, or if you've woken up in the future and are beginning to doubt the nature of reality, here's the place to post about it.
Gilberreke

Explanation of the current MCPatcher + BTW incompatibility

Post by Gilberreke »

Confirmed issues:

- Loading the game with a texture pack selected can take up to 10 minutes, even on good systems
- Loading the game without a texture pack selected takes little time, but then selecting a texture pack will cause weeds in crops not to be in the texture atlas. This will cause the game to grab an incorrect texture for weeds (usually garbage). Probably the same problem as the broken campfire textures a few versions back.

The second problem can conceivably be solved by FC like the campfire issue, but that opens up the potential future where he'd have to keep on patching these issues for MCPatcher if other modular blocks are added.

The first issue can conceivably be solved by a user mod that looks at what causes the texture atlas slowdown. This is core rendering code, so it's highly likely this can be modded without ever running into issues with FC changing the same file.

Conjecture that needs to be checked; Here's what I think happens:

Loading without TP:
- Game loads with vanilla textures
- BTW adds its weeds texture to the atlas
- Select different TP, texture atlas gets cleared, weeds don't get added again after, causing bug #2

Loading with TP:
- Game loads with TP, but takes an extremely long time to do so
- BTW adds its weed texture to atlas, all is fine

Big question: it seems possible to write a user mod that fixes both issues, is that something that can be done?
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Gilberreke

Re: Explanation of the current MCPatcher + BTW incompatibili

Post by Gilberreke »

Hiracho wrote:The way I read your forum post Gil, loading the game with a texture pack from launch would have FC's weed textures instead of whatever the TP made up for weeds right? Just adding here that this issue works all directions . Loading the game with a texture pack and switching to another(or to vanilla) causes the garbage weeds.
I use Vioki's TP's from launch and don't have the 10 minute wait issue. This could be because it is 16x16. But It might be because I disabled the extended HD option in MCpatcher
Wyr3d wrote:Nah, the weeds for the texture pack will load , so long as you already have that texture pack selected. Another note: switching texture packs - even an alternate version of the same texture pack will also cause the bug. You have to fully close the game, and relaunch
I'd also like to point out that I probably won't have time to make this mod myself, like the skin mod, so if there's any takers, feel free to offer.
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: Explanation of the current MCPatcher + BTW incompatibili

Post by FlowerChild »

Going to try an experiment to try and correct the weeds texture issue. Describing the following as a note to my future self:

-Weed textures are currently be stored in static variables, so it looks like MCPatcher might be throwing up on reinitializing them.

-I believe there may have been a similar issue with the campfire fire texture, where the issue might not have been the texture being independently instantiated in the campfire block, but perhaps it was being stored static as well?

-After further digging, I believe this was an issue with only initializing these static vars on startup, and then failing to do so again on later calls of registerIcons() when a new texture pack is selected.